News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

A riding (Dragon) question....

Started by Serendipity, July 18, 2006, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serendipity

OK, so I have a wee bit of experience with curvey roads, etc...not worried about that...but I have zero expereince with curves going up and down hills....I'm not worried about the uphills, just the downhills.

Can anyone give me a step by step breakdown of how I enter/execute/exit a downhill curve?? I have my own ideas (treat as I would any other curve, decellerate before the entry point, so that I can roll on the throttle to exit, but use trailing back brake as needed) and I'm going to consult my "Proficient Motorcycling" book, but thought maybe some of you guys who have done the Dragon could give me your method. Even though riding is getting more and more natural for me, I started out with kind of a 1-2-3 method at first, you know, little mantras to get me through the ride and focused....Now I need my "Dragon Mantra". :D

Can you tell I've been looking at the killboy.com pics and freaking myself out??? In a good way, though...I am soooo psyched for this! I'm just asking for ya'll's help as I want all possible tools at my disposal.

Brian Moffet

BIggest factor, don't let someone else set your speed, no matter whether you're going uphill or down.

Brian

Serendipity

Oh believe me that piece of advice has been THOROUGHLY sealed into my brain....besides you can ask Tailwheel, it's virtualy impossible to get me to ride outside of my comfort zone...brings back fond memories of me going 35 mph down a 55mph road on my first ride 'cause THAT was the speed I was comfortable with and I wasn't going a bit faster until I wanted too. :D

But what I'm looking for is your "textbook" explanation of how to handle a downhill, possibly decreasing radius curve.

Or am I being to anal??

Mutt

First and foremost your confidence level is really where it needs to be. Anyone who doesn't have confidence in their own ability to control their bike and speed don't need to be there.

There are some depth changes to the roads. However, there are very few steep grades in fact I can't think of one along the dragon stretch. It's pretty much a level ride all the way through. As for depth changes, the return from the Candler Dam overlook in TN going back to NC (Deal's Gap) is the most dangerous. Your actually going up hill (small almost decernable incline) but the camber of the road changes. There's a couple of places but one place in particular is called Gravity Cavity in which you are making a right hand turn. On your right side you won't be able to put your foot down, on the left the road will be within a couple inches of your foot peg. You absolutely must not stop close to the edge of the road here. Make sure your speed lets you take the curve at least mid way of the lane. You'll see what I mean. The other thing I noticed, there were a lot of people in and around Deal's Gap resort as it's a big time meeting place. Motorcycles are going every which way and parked in some ridiculous spots. Make sure you sight where your going as you pull in there if it's crowded. It will save you from having to put your feet down on an incline. Best thing to do is approach from a level surface...come in on the Hyw 28 side, not from the Dragon run side (front). That way you can confidently put your feet down on level ground and choose where you want to go. Road Camber is the main thing to watch out for!

IMO, the thing you really need to watch for the most is approaching traffic in your lane...happened nearly every ride through the dragon. Most are barely over the line. Also, if you get a rider or (PS2s favorite) a Miata on your rear, find a nice safe place to slow way down and signal them on around. They'll appreciate it and you won't feel rushed.

If you get a chance to take a break on Saturday at the gap, sit back and enjoy the entertainment. There's so many riders with different skill levels and bikes to match. Motorplow and I were sitting in front of the gas pumps at the gap. There's only two pumps. Of course they're constantly busy since it's the only ones for miles around. Suddenly there was this old burn out looking dude came pulling up on his new Road King to get gas. He got off the bike on the wrong side (opposite the stand) and was looking for the stand on the wrong side. Now common sense (right ::)) would tell you don't panic, just get back on the bike, put the stand down and get off on the correct side. No instead he reached over like he was going to dive over the bike and was pushing it down with his fingers while holding the right side handle bar with the other hand. It took him a while but eventually he got it done. Had he gone over on the bike there would have been a big applause from hundreds of people watching. Lot's of entertainment to be had....and cheap! Good luck and I hope ya'll have a safe and fun trip.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Serendipity

OK Mutt, I'm printing out your last post to re-read when I get there. That was great info, I really appreciate it.

I'm not planning on riding the Dragon until bright and early Monday morning. Saturday we'll do some people watching as you suggested, and Sunday we will pick up Dave's rental and then do some easier roads to get me "warmed up".

ps2/bikevision

i agree with mutt on watching out for the road contours. mainly if you stop at the deals gap resort. that was the only time i was really worried, when i was going really slow through there with all those other bikes and the ground is like a choppy lake. it just rolls. i never really thought about how nice those big flat walmart parking lots are till i went to the gap.

but like mutt said, confidence is the biggiest thing. if you want to pratice before you go the best thing would be to pratice slow manuvers. turns doing like 5mph and such. once your on the dragon its cake if you take it slow. just remember it doesent matter how many times you watch the videos you dont know whats going to be around the next corner. (yea like freaking miata's, if you see one throw a rock at it for me :D)

all that said i think the best piece of advice i can give is HAVE FUN, AND DONT BE SCARED. i you ride like you have a brain you will do just fine. its really a great road. very fun, the secernery is great, the surface is well taken care of. i dont think i saw one pot hole or crack. it looked to me like a new road. even in the rain when motorplow and i left, my bike felt solid, even with a almost bald back tire, when i say bald i mean it could have been used as a slick in the center. i never once felt the rear get loose.

Serendipity

Thanks PS2, I needed that. :) I actually had to call Dave up at work today and ask him, "What are your (male) friend's reactions when you tell them you're going to the Dragon?"
Him: "Oh they just say, "Cool man! Have a great time!"
Me: "Huh...because every (motorcycle rider) guy I've told gets all serious and negative and says, "oooh really? You're doing the dragon? Well, uum you better be careful" Totally zapping out my enthusiasm.

So then it hits me! They are only acting like this because I am a GIRL!!!! ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!! I tell Dave about this assesment and he agrees. But then (being the super husband he is) reminds me that at the last Poker Ride we did I was one of the best riders there......which may not say much really, but he assures me, and I actually believe him, honestly, that as PS2 says, if I ride with a brain I will have a great time.

Mutt

Just ask those guys how many times they rode the dragon? I'll bet some of them heard things about it being so dangerous and never actually rode it. I can tell you it's as dangerous as you make it. "Ride Your Own Ride" ! No matter how slow you go, your going to have a great time. Lot's to see and do! In fact Motorplow and I made our last run through behind some really slow traffic (Goldwings). We didn't even realize the scenery was so great! There's actually waterfalls along the way we hadn't even noticed because we had always buzzed through there so fast.

After you've rode it a couple times, your confidence level and your skill level will increase! Your face is going to be hurting though after about 170 or so curves. You will be grinning from ear to ear and feel sorry for anyone back home that has to ride a straight and narrow road.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

kiawrench

on my vision, i ride the dragon with all senses tuned for the worst, but i blame myself, for not doing a better restoration on my first bike.  i ride just to the inside of left center, try to keep eye at least 2/3s of the way through each turn, and i never ,ever exceed the posted limits. as for brakes, i use the rear only on smaller switchback turns, esp the downhill ones, but on open road, i dont think i touch the rear for hours at a time.

on my midnight, i dont brake at all, allowing engine braking to handle the rid e, unless a danger point occurs. We wont use this bike as an example.
    in my old miata, prior to it's sale, i used everything possible to brake, and speed up, as it was built just for that purpose. am glad i sold it when i did , as i dont think my wife would understand that type of riding anymore,,,,,,,,,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

MotorPlow

I agree with a lot of what everyone else is saying...
I just want to add that, if you pull to the right side to let a faster rider go by, do not pull off the road. Just pull to the right side and keep rolling, they will find a way around you. Besides, if you pull off the road into one of the pull offs, the pull offs are GRAVEL with very limited traction. Not only gravel, but with a 3"-4" drop off the pavement.

Enjoy the trip, you will enjoy it.
~MP

PS: Most of the Dragon is relatively level. I found a couple of places where I was in too high a gear coming out of a curve and going slightly up hill... Lugged the engine slightly. Down the slight incline was not any type of problem. I found that the entire Dragon can be run with the Vision happiest in 1st & 2nd gear at about 6-8000 RPM. Maybe, just touching 3rd gear once in a brief while. Of course these are my preferences and you will have to find your own comfort level.

Serendipity

Thank you, thank you, thank you guys! Your posts have been just the info and encouragement I needed!! I rode to work today, it is National Ride to Work day after all, and am now sooooo psyched up for this trip!!!!

Katdiva

Hi Serendipity 
I rode the Dragon only once and it was on the V.  It was awesome.  I would like to possibly be there when you ride it.....what day did you say you would be taking on the dragon?
Katdiva
To resist the frigidity of old age one must combine the body, the mind and the heart - and to keep them in parallel vigor one must exercise, study and love.       Karl von Bonstetten
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
      Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Serendipity

That would be so awesome! We will be at the Fontana Lodge this Saturday night through Tuesday morning. I was planning on waiting to actually ride the Dragon on Monday morning (less traffic?) and I figure I best give myself Sunday to do some less challenging roads first, to warm up. Remember I am a newbie, and from Florida.  ;)

Any chance you are off Monday? Or maybe we can meet up on Sunday? I'll be on this board again before I leave, but in case we miss each other my cell number is 772-473-5025.

Lucky

S&T, are you guys planning on going to Daves? I started a new job & will tell them i need a certain day off if you are going to stop in.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Serendipity

I believe the plan right now is to come by with the truck Tuesday evening after we drop off Tailwheel's Rent-A-Harley.

I hope you can join us!!!

kiawrench

tailwheel, dipity,,,,, once you get back, if you have slain the dragon in good faith, you can get matching dragon tattoo  done!!

go to the website for deals gap, cut and print the dragon icon,,, the guys at miami ink will tap it on for 75.00 each, as will most places, ( they don't have to draw the pic, is already done) . lol i checked while in town one recent morning ( dont ask,, i cant explain that trip )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Serendipity

Ooooooh that's an idea!!! I have an ankh on my back that was never filled in (it's just a simple outline) and I've been trying to figure out what to do with it, besides just fill it in. I wonder if I could get it so that the Dragon would appear behind the ankh???? Hmmmmmmm. :D

First things first though....let me just get through the Dragon in one piece and then we'll start talking tats.

tailwheel

I'm sorry but I don't have anything against tattoos (Patti has two). I still haven't seen any images that I want to be attached to forever.
D
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT

glennw

I took up riding dirt bikes after a 15 year time out..
At 53.. I know what it feels like to crash..
Two collar bones later.. I ride with my 22 year old son and his friends...
They can call me what they like...
I don't EVER ride beyond me comfort zone...
EXCEPT with CROV.. but again I'm in total comfort with that...
YOU are the the only one you have to prove anything to...
And just enjoying the ride is PROOF enough for me..
Come on.. you could be in a cage..!!!!
GlennW
Half Mad Max