News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

what the crap it died again

Started by haunter, July 24, 2006, 08:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haunter

bike stranded me a mile from home, again.

the charging system was freakin out so I replaced the RR and all seemed well, rode to work, rode home, rode to soccer camp, fine!

most of the way home it just shut off and it wont start back up, it has gas....

I guess the fuel filter could be clogged but its new, plugs are new, it still has plenty of juice in teh battery...........

its driving me insane, I dont mind working on stuff I own, but this thing spends 10 times the time in the garage compared to on the street and I have almost had it with it
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

ps2/bikevision

dude i feel for you. i totaly feel like sh*t for sell you a motor and other parts and she still wont run. could it possably be in the wireing harness? dont take it personally but did you cross the neutral and low oil wires. another member did this and spent alot of time trying to figure it out. i get my license back monday so maybe ill have to take a ride over that way and see if i can help any. i still got all those other parts so im bound and determaned to get her running for you.

another thing to check is your fuses. all of them make sure there good. even the one behind the head light. it sounds to me like a loose wire some where. try getting her started again, on the center stand. have a buddy or two help you jar the hell out of her back and forth and she if she dies.

Lucky

you guys who are still sorting out your bikes should be riding around with a voltmeter attached.  i believe it should be one of the first things you do, like adding a fuel filter..

swapping R/R's doesn't insure a good charging system, if your old one died, it could easily have taken the stator with it, you MUST re-run the Electrosport tests.

when it dies, get very quiet & listen to the fuel cap, is it hissing? take it off slowly & listen for it to suck air..  having fuel in the tank doesn't mean it's getting to the carbs...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

Quote from: Lucky on July 25, 2006, 12:49:23 AM

when it dies, get very quiet & listen to the fuel cap, is it hissing? take it off slowly & listen for it to suck air..  having fuel in the tank doesn't mean it's getting to the carbs...

thats a bit hard when dies while riding on a 4 lane road, no where to pull off realyl fast and yank the helmet

the charging system appears to be working just fine, it really REALLY seems like the TCI is just turning off, as when it will spark it throws a big fireball...........

and I dont understand how it could be running so rich as to kill the plugs like that while cruising.....
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Lucky

Quote from: haunter on July 25, 2006, 01:53:29 AM

thats a bit hard when dies while riding on a 4 lane road, no where to pull off realyl fast and yank the helmet

Ok, i'm asking you to recreate this in the driveway, park wherever..get it good & hot, run it almost as long as you did when it died, but in places you can pull off.  if the cap is clogged, you won't need to rush to hear it, it should hiss for a few moments.  understand, if you have a cap problem, your not letting air into the tank to replace the used fuel, your starving the carbs...

the charging system appears to be working just fine,

Appears simply isn't good enough, you have to do the flow chart, beginning to end, everytime, starting with a known good, fully charged battery.  the Electrosport flowchart is an excellent diagnostic tool, but only if it's followed fully, there are no shortcuts here, or you'll be chasing your tail, trust me on this one.

it really REALLY seems like the TCI is just turning off, as when it will spark it throws a big fireball...........

if by this you mean that you'll crank & crank & crank the bike because it won't start, & then it gives you that cannon like backfire, that is a classic symptom of a weak charging/starting system.  it actually proves your TCI works, because when it finally does see enough voltage to fire the coils, (at least 10V) it ignites all that cranked in fuel...

and I dont understand how it could be running so rich as to kill the plugs like that while cruising.....

no way, no how.  you can't run it that rich, these engines just don't flood like that. it's 100 times more likely fuel starvation, or the battery going flat.  they ARE floodable starting after a hot soak, but that just indicates the carbs are out of tune...

Please Haunter, save yourself anymore frustration & follow my tests exactly as described (& post the results). A Visionary takes pride in doing it right (Vision Zen)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

Quote from: Lucky on July 25, 2006, 02:47:52 AM

Ok, i'm asking you to recreate this in the driveway, park wherever..get it good & hot, run it almost as long as you did when it died, but in places you can pull off.  if the cap is clogged, you won't need to rush to hear it, it should hiss for a few moments.  understand, if you have a cap problem, your not letting air into the tank to replace the used fuel, your starving the carbs...

the charging system appears to be working just fine,

Appears simply isn't good enough, you have to do the flow chart, beginning to end, everytime, starting with a known good, fully charged battery.  the Electrosport flowchart is an excellent diagnostic tool, but only if it's followed fully, there are no shortcuts here, or you'll be chasing your tail, trust me on this one.

it really REALLY seems like the TCI is just turning off, as when it will spark it throws a big fireball...........

if by this you mean that you'll crank & crank & crank the bike because it won't start, & then it gives you that cannon like backfire, that is a classic symptom of a weak charging/starting system.  it actually proves your TCI works, because when it finally does see enough voltage to fire the coils, (at least 10V) it ignites all that cranked in fuel...

no way, no how.  you can't run it that rich, these engines just don't flood like that. it's 100 times more likely fuel starvation, or the battery going flat.  they ARE floodable starting after a hot soak, but that just indicates the carbs are out of tune...

Please Haunter, save yourself anymore frustration & follow my tests exactly as described (& post the results). A Visionary takes pride in doing it right (Vision Zen)

--Lucky

where can I find the flowchart?  I will do it this afternoon, after I get battery for my multimeter.

Night Vision

look up at the top of this page. under the "O" in vision is the technical page link.... it'll be down at the bottom... electrical fault finding diagram
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

d0n

Where would I hook the wires up if I were to install a voltmeter in the 83's dash?

MotorPlow

Quote from: d0n on July 25, 2006, 01:34:33 PM
Where would I hook the wires up if I were to install a voltmeter in the 83's dash?

If you get a voltmeter and your not worried about it being illuminated at night. It's as simple as hooking one wire to the positive battery lead and one to the negative battery lead.

Tiger

:) I have a full fairing, so, using a hole saw (for a front door lock), I drilled a hole in the left side of the fairing, just below the handle bar's. I then wired... One to ground, I used the fairing bracket.....Ring terminal on the ground wire and used a #10 x 3/4" hex head, self drilling, self tapping screw.
The other wire (live) I connected to the ignition circuit at the fuse box and the wire's for the back light I ran into the headlight bucket and wired into the light circuit.....works like a charm..... 8) Told me I had a crap R/R....replaced.. ::) and told me I had fried my stator 4 or 5 click's from home...replaced... ::). Well worth installing on EVERY "V".... 8)

;D        TIGER        8) 
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

haunter

laundry and the lawn interuppted me, still need a battery

cant believe I have no 9volts

glennw

From The CROV Guys (Ron and Craig) I learned about a neat plastic $9.95 Radio Shack LED battery and alternator tester. I hard wired the two wires in and velcro'ed it the bottom portion of the "dash"... now I can ALWAYS tell what the thing is putting out. I vow never to get stuck on the road when the stator takes a dump again!   What you described is the way mine acted when my stator took a dump the first time..
GlennW
Half Mad Max

haunter

I will have to check it out

but I think the bike will sit until I am back from vacation, too many beers while mowing the lawn and being exhausted from working the last 9 says straight

Superfly

I would not ride this bike without some sort of voltage Gage.  I use the one from aerostitch, has a Voltage Gage, Clock, & Thermometer.  I hard-wired my ignition switch to the wiring harness, that is where I hook up the gages.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

haunter

lucky:   the gas cap does not his when it dies........the multimeter wasnt cooperating so I didnt get to go through the chart...ugh my car died last week too so I am bumming rides this sucks!

haunter

charging system checks out

my guesses are:

battery

TCI

battery will be replaced soon

haunter

replaced the battery, now it holds a charge, removed ball from gas cap and took care of the sidestand switch while I was at it.

now it seems the carbs need a re-sync and re-adjustment, but hey, 130 miles on her yesterday and she never died, def has the stumble.  nice to have transportation again!

ps2/bikevision

glad to hear you got her running again haunter.  keep it up and you may just make it to the 07 meet. ;D

haunter

Quote from: ps2 on August 14, 2006, 06:39:30 PM
glad to hear you got her running again haunter.  keep it up and you may just make it to the 07 meet. ;D
lets not get too far ahead of ourselves!