need advice from computer guru--

Started by kiawrench, July 27, 2006, 05:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

anyone claim to be the computer guru ?  i have small issue i need second opinion on--- think my work puter is about to go under----- send me e-mail at dhirsch@sc.rr.com..... we can mail q/a until it dies or i fix it ........
   think start up./// lock up issues  - i think hard drive is about dead,,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

davetn- sent you one back, sort of late, but got it written
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

kiawrench

DaveTN:
    i killed it,, i took the entire computer outside and put it into my truck, carried it down to the dump, and put 10 rounds of 12  00 buck though it .
   then i called dell, bought a new one!! it was better than paying for a new motherboard, and a new copy of windows xp.
     I had a document for a dell purchase,200.00 off purchase of new system, ordered a dimension 3100 ,xp pro,office pro suite and flat screen (free upgrade) total to my door, under 300.00 .   to fix the other one- new motherboard, new processor and new in box windows xp pro, nothing else, over 400.00   - cost effective dell to my rescue .    thanks for the help,, i followed letter to check it out, glad i backed up my data weekly,,, will only take about 1/2 hour to fully recover everything  when mail runs on monday!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kiawrench on August 01, 2006, 06:40:42 PM
DaveTN:
    i killed it,, i took the entire computer outside and put it into my truck, carried it down to the dump, and put 10 rounds of 12  00 buck though it .
   then i called dell, bought a new one!! it was better than paying for a new motherboard, and a new copy of windows xp.
     I had a document for a dell purchase,200.00 off purchase of new system, ordered a dimension 3100 ,xp pro,office pro suite and flat screen (free upgrade) total to my door, under 300.00 .   to fix the other one- new motherboard, new processor and new in box windows xp pro, nothing else, over 400.00   - cost effective dell to my rescue .    thanks for the help,, i followed letter to check it out, glad i backed up my data weekly,,, will only take about 1/2 hour to fully recover everything  when mail runs on monday!!

AGGGGRRRRGGGGGG!! Thats like killing a Vision!!!!  Um, well not exactly, but older parts are worth money too.  ;D

David

hfarley

LOL! I don't know what happened to your computer Kia but my motherboard just fried not to long ago. Being the tinkerer and slight computer geek that I am I decided to go a different route than you. I am more of a software person but playing with electronics has always intrigued me. (Oh boy do I foresee the comments coming now lol!) Anyway, I had previously upgraded my memory and my video card so it I figured that I could handle a motherboard and processor. I ended up getting a package deal at CompUsa with a AMD 64 3000+ and a motherboard to go with it. I am an AMD fan rather than a Pentium or Celeron. I had picked up this really awesome case a long time ago at a computer show that lights up, has 3 fans, and tells me the time, temp, and other stuff. I decided to switch everything out of my old case and put it into the new case and add the new motherboard and processor. I finally finished all the wiring last night and when I turned her on she started right up. Whoo hoo! I just built my first computer (sort-of) LOL! I still have to load all the software and stuff but for me it was more about the sense of accomplishment and getting to tinker than the cost. I am glad to hear that you have a working system and are happy with it. Computers can be a real paing sometimes. LOL!
-Heather
PS once I am finished I will post a picture so you can see how cool it looks.
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

haunter

oooh heather what old parts do you have laying around now?
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

h2olawyer

She probably integrated an old TCI into it as well!

Congrats Heather.  Sounds like you needed some good news and finally got some.   :)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

2VRoy

AMD-Pentium-Celeron   I thought this was just a magical box that talked to me??? I am still using a 233 and was thinking of an upgrade, but I must say it is a sad day indeed when you shoot your mother for getting board!!!

I mean if you want bang for the buck, one gallon glass bottle, 1/4 filled with gas, old side marker light socket with light bulb (glass broke, filiment intact) inserted into the bottle with wires running a good distance away. Cap the bottle tightly and let the vapours build. Touch wires off a 12 volt battery when ready. Oh, get behind something sturdy, brick wall.

Farmers use to do this to remove large stumps from the fields so make sure you are in a wide open area away from everyone. Better done on a testing range these days.
Keep the rubber side down!

kiawrench

davetn---
    i didnt know anyone still wanted old parts,,, but never fear,, i get computers from folks at times, will keep eye out for good parts-   

i think the majority of that computer was burned up,, i ran diags on every part i could,, kept what eemed to answer a minimum working level, shot the rest up to keep my private stuff private.

am hoping to be all set up and ready to work by monday afternoon.so if you dont see me on,,, am buried under a half ton of software and data disks- send help( any collection of hooters girls will do)

Night Vision

my guess is any computer that took 10 rounds of double ought to go down, must've had some good parts  ::)

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kiawrench on August 02, 2006, 06:15:50 PM
davetn---
    i didnt know anyone still wanted old parts,,, but never fear,, i get computers from folks at times, will keep eye out for good parts-  

i think the majority of that computer was burned up,, i ran diags on every part i could,, kept what eemed to answer a minimum working level, shot the rest up to keep my private stuff private.

am hoping to be all set up and ready to work by monday afternoon.so if you dont see me on,,, am buried under a half ton of software and data disks- send help( any collection of hooters girls will do)

heheheh

I'm the "Tiger" of old computer parts.  Some day just like us with our inventory of spare Vision parts, my inventory of spare computer parts might come in handy. ;D

David

Lucky

then you don't want to know what i was forced to dump before i moved.. probably 3 or 4 large totes of cards, cables, boards, cpu's, memory, keyboards, mice, cases & a couple of monitors... oh & volumes of misc software.  everything from isa modems to AMD K-6's  >:( >:(
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

Quote from: DaveTN on August 02, 2006, 09:47:36 PM
Quote from: kiawrench on August 02, 2006, 06:15:50 PM
davetn---

heheheh

I'm the "Tiger" of old computer parts.  Some day just like us with our inventory of spare Vision parts, my inventory of spare computer parts might come in handy. ;D

David

I am getting there it seems, 3 pentium 3 systems in various disrepair in my basement
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Mutt

Quote from: Lucky on August 02, 2006, 10:06:43 PM
then you don't want to know what i was forced to dump before i moved.. probably 3 or 4 large totes of cards, cables, boards, cpu's, memory, keyboards, mice, cases & a couple of monitors... oh & volumes of misc software.  everything from isa modems to AMD K-6's  >:( >:(

AMD K6 Super Socket 7 crap! Didn't get rid of much there. However I would like to see Heather's set up. Just waiting to buy a new Itanium 64 processor! Oh yea baby..... :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

The K-6 never gave me a bit of trouble...lasted till i built the P-4
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

Quote from: Mutt on August 02, 2006, 11:42:26 PM

AMD K6 Super Socket 7 crap! Didn't get rid of much there. However I would like to see Heather's set up. Just waiting to buy a new Itanium 64 processor! Oh yea baby..... :)

Mutt

ew dont waste money on those!  the new core 2 duo's will do 64bit stuff and are by far teh best chip on the market!

hfarley

Well ran into a little issue last night when trying to set up BIOS. Thought the motherboard was bad but it turns out that something else is causing my problem. Most likely the memory. So tonight and tomorrow I get to troubleshoot the puter. Hmm seems like I am always having to troubleshoot something. LOL! It is a good thing that I am having a bit of fun from all of this. It is a nice break from everything else going on in my life right now. LOL! I have posted a picture of the case below, but I am adding one of those really cool blud lights to light up the inside even more and have added an additional fan that glows in tri-color. Haven't figured out yet what type of chrome/silver grill covers I am going to get yet but I am going to completely trick out this baby. LOL! I guess I am a bit of a computer geek after all. LOL!
-Heather
PS mine is the same except it is silver and will look cooler when I am done. LOL!

Well for some reason the pictures don't show up so go to my blog and check out the pictures:
http://1982yamahavision.blogspot.com/
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!