News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Visionary 101 - Basic maintanance video series

Started by Extent, July 30, 2006, 02:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extent

Well I had me some dorky fun today.  Grabbed my camera, wrote out some corny taglines, and headed out to change my oil. ;D

First in a series, aimed at the absolute beginner, to hopefully make it easier for someone who has never set wrench to a vehicle before to do their own maintenance.

I do apologize for the atrocious audio, I'll have that fixed in future videos.  I also ended up a little rushed near the end as daylight was running out  ::) but it'll do for an afternoons adventure.

http://rovmedia.dyndns.org/public/listVideos.php?cat=how
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

I laughed!, I cried!, well, mostly I cried...I'm still crying...but that's only because i haven't had my coffee yet..

Excellent job!! I liked the wipes, and the editing was very good! I will try to keep in mind to tape the comming things i need to do like steering head bearings & such.  i might just send them to you for editing (seeing as how you are so much better than i am at finishing projects, lol)

one minor thing, & i know i'll be guilty of it as well, you forgot to mention the cap o-ring, but no biggie..

BTW, i had to download a divX codec to see the vid part, so if you guys only get audio, that may be why.

what editing software do you use? i have some trial stuff & i think an older copy of Adobe Premire i barely know how to use...

Thanks for the Vid Extent!!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

i had forgoten about my cut-off short vid sitting there, i've re-uploaded it, & it's been u-loading for a while, i'll let it sit all morning while i do other things, but i think it may have timmed out.  i might just email it to you (or it's on the "manuals" disk if you have it)

--Lucky

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on July 30, 2006, 08:38:33 AM
I liked the wipes, and the editing was very good! I will try to keep in mind to tape the comming things i need to do like steering head bearings & such.  i might just send them to you for editing (seeing as how you are so much better than i am at finishing projects, lol)

Hey Lucky, you can send them to me and I'll edit them down, I just need to know a bit in advance.  I work in an editing studio (well, the film dept of a large university  :) ) and part of my job description is to maintain my skills on the products we use (Final Cut Studio), it would be free as well.

Just an offer for your consideration...

And good job Extent!

Brian

supervision

Hey,how come I only can here you and not see the picture?
" border="0

Lucky

BTW, i had to download a divX codec to see the vid part, so if you guys only get audio, that may be why.

go to www.DivX.com to d/l the latest codecs.

--Lucky

Lucky

Extent, i eventually got the following message:

Warning: Only 416 bytes were written, expected to write 5119 in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent in c:\phpdev\www\public\config\sessionSetup.php on line 5
Possible file upload attack: filename ''.
video added successfully

it's showing  0MB.. don't know why i have so much trouble sending you a vid...

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Extent

you forgot to mention the cap o-ring

Are you supposed to change that?  I've just been reusing it.  When I get a chance I'll add that bit to the video.

I really have no idea why it's not working now.  It thinks it loaded the file all the way and filled all the fields in on the database correctly, but the file just dosen't exist.  If the script times out it shouldn't enter any data, and if your upload is canceled then it should load an incomplete file.

Out of curiosity, if you go to DSLreports.com and do the speed test how fast does it say your upload is?  And how large is the file you're trying to upload?  I can try and slow my connection down to however fast yours is and try doing an upload of the same length.

And for those having problems playing it, the DiviX.com program works.  There is also a community project that will allow you to play this and many other popular net video formats, and It's what I personally would recomend.  You can get it here
http://www.cccp-project.net/
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

Rolle

Nice Job!
Perfect picture and a nice way to talk you thru the oilchange ;D

Roland............

May I ask if there is any difference between European PAL - System and USA NTSC in terms of a *.avi movie?

Lucky don´t use Adobe Premire it´s to complicated for homeusers, I got Pinacle Studio 9 and it serves me fine.
Just a tip.

The same/
Take care and be safe on the roads!

h2olawyer

Great initial how-to, Extent!  I've always changed the o-ring with every other oil & filter change.  The owner's manual says to change it every time.  However, I don't think I've ever changed the drain plug crush washer.  It hasn't leaked yet (knocking on wood).  Guess I'll change that with the next oil change in a few weeks.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

PAL and NTSC only have to do with TV sets and only are an issue for "for-TV" media such as video tapes and DVDs.  Any computer will play any type of video.

Premire really isn't very complicated, it just has a lot of features, most of which you'll never use in the course of making a video (unless you're making it chock full of tasteless wipes and effects)  It has it's quirks, but it's what I use whenever I want to do something quick and dirty, or when i can't be bothered to bring a project into a real editor.

I'ld never replaced the crush washer either, but after many changes it finally started to weep a bit.  I tried a copper washer from an auto parts store but it was completely useless.  The guy at the parts counter happened to have one in his hand when I went in to pick up my filters, so I figured why not.  Now the leak is gone and I'm happy :D

supervision

Lucky, thanks for the divx tip. now I get it.   Extent great work,  You forgot to say how well old oil works for keeping weeds down..   
" border="0

supervision

Speaking of great videos, I watch The World's Fastest Indian, that's a good one, anbody else seen it?
" border="0

Lucky

Ok, i'm guilty of thinking i know too much...I've never read the manuals procedure on oil changes, therefore, i didn't know it says to change the o-ring, i never have.   :-[

What I mean't was tell the viewer not to forget to make sure it's in place  ::)

I have Ulead Video Studio 7 (se) DVD and Pinical Studio 9.  I have VS7 installed & was playing with it last night. i'll try PS9 & see what it's like. (don't think i ever installed it)

I taped my synq & pilot tune up yesterday, but i ran out of tape half way thru  >:(  but i can do it again, no biggie.  i think i would have anyway because i needed more light, & the neighbor was cutting down a tree. you could here the chainsaw in the background...

---Lucky

YellowJacket!

For those of you having trouble with the video, try this:  Right click on Extents link and choose "save target as" to manually download the video file to your computer.  It took it a bit but worked. 
I tried directly downloading by clicking on the link but it would stall.  Right clicking and saving worked better for me.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Iinstalled PS9 (twice) but it crashed upon opening, (which may be why i never used it before...) & it doesn't seem supported on their site, so i guess i'll stick with the Ulead.

Extent

Quote from: Lucky on July 31, 2006, 07:31:49 AM
I taped my synq & pilot tune up yesterday, but i ran out of tape half way thru  >:(  but i can do it again, no biggie.  i think i would have anyway because i needed more light, & the neighbor was cutting down a tree. you could here the chainsaw in the background...

Awesome, I was going to do sync next, and pilot settings later down the road, but I'm not one to complain if someone else does all the work (and the less time I spend in front of a camera the better :p )

You don't have to start over again, just pick up where the tape ran out, that's what editing is for anyway.

Lucky

it really will be better if i redo it, plus, Davetn wants to do his too, so we can show both 82 & 83 in one tape

MotorPlow

Quote from: supervision on July 31, 2006, 07:30:04 AM
  Speaking of great videos, I watch The World's Fastest Indian, that's a good one, anbody else seen it?

Yup, wife bought it for me and we all watched it together... Great movie!