Quick question from the dummy....

Started by Serendipity, August 07, 2006, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serendipity

OK, so there are three sets of wires near my left grip...I know one is the clutch cable, I'm pretty sure the fatter bundle are the headlights/directionals...but then there is the third that seems to be closest to the clutch cable, is that for the horn??

Thanks in advance,
Patti (Yes, I tried looking in the manual, Yes, I'm an idiot)

crackerkorean

I am thinking thats the one for your choke without going out and looking at mine.

Brian Moffet

the bundles are for the throttle grip section (hi-low, horn, etc...), clutch engagement switch (green connector), and then the choke.

Brian (I just went out and looked at the one I took off today)

Serendipity

What does the clutch engagement switch do? The wires that we are looking at are near the clutch but the only thing we found not working is the horn.

We are installing the taller risers and we pulled out the wire near the clutch (electrical). I don't see it as a problem to fix but I was unsure what we broke.
Dave(logged on as Patti because it is her bike and she was the last to post and I did not take the time to log in as myself)

YellowJacket!

I think it controls a relay so you can't crank the bike while its in gear unless the clutch is engaged.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Yes, according to my owners manual, the switch will allow you to start the bike while in gear and the kickstand is up if the clutch is pulled in.  It's supposed to be Black/Yellow and Blue/Yellow coming off of the cable, but it looks Black and Blue/Yellow.

Brian

Serendipity

I just took her out for a quick spin, and she still cuts off when I put the kickstand down....but I have lost the ability to start her in anything but neutral. Thanks for helping us figure that out guys.  :) Hopefully, won't take Dave much to repair.

Also didn't realize after we finished installing the risers last night that the throttle cable is binding on something. Scared the poop out of me, but I handled it. (Decided to show itself while I was maing a u-turn to come back home this morning) Did it again as I was turning into the driveway....Dave says no biggee he will help me fix it.

But the important thing is that we finally installed the risers, totally worth this little silliiness to get them on.I LOOOOOOOOOVE them!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you DaveTN!!!! I REALLY like them. I feel like I am riding a chopper in comparison to how it was. LOL Do you want me to send you the short ones back, or is there someone else you would want me to give them too...or just hold onto them?

Patti

smknjoe1964

If Dave doesnt need them back ,I would like to try them . If so , let me know how much and where to send money !

Night Vision

Quote from: Serendipity on August 08, 2006, 08:58:04 AM
I just took her out for a quick spin, and she still cuts off when I put the kickstand down....but I have lost the ability to start her in anything but neutral. Thanks for helping us figure that out guys.  :) Hopefully, won't take Dave much to repair.

it's one or two of two things:

1) one of the relays behind the TCI. can't remember which one.... just swap them out one at a time with Tailwheel's bike..... then start hunting for the one that wasn't working... hopefully you can still read the numbers on the relay. they also have red or blue paint dots on them.

2) the cable that goes into the clutch perch isn't working. remove the end at the clutch, try to clean... or replace.

I was lucky enough to have both bugs so it was twice as fun figuring it out  >:(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Serendipity on August 08, 2006, 08:58:04 AM

Also didn't realize after we finished installing the risers last night that the throttle cable is binding on something. Scared the poop out of me, but I handled it. (Decided to show itself while I was maing a u-turn to come back home this morning) Did it again as I was turning into the driveway....Dave says no biggee he will help me fix it.

But the important thing is that we finally installed the risers, totally worth this little silliiness to get them on.I LOOOOOOOOOVE them!!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you DaveTN!!!! I REALLY like them. I feel like I am riding a chopper in comparison to how it was. LOL Do you want me to send you the short ones back, or is there someone else you would want me to give them too...or just hold onto them?

Patti

You're VERY welcome!  ;D
Get a cable lube kit and lube your throttle, clutch and choke cables.  Made a HUGE difference. Throttle cable routing is a problem and can cause the throttle cable to pull during a slow right turn.  Loosen up the thumb screw and let out some slack where the throttle cable is at the throttle grip.
The shorty risers are on the top ten unobtainium part list.  I have a set on mine and I'm sure that there is someone here that would jump at an opportunity to have some.

Take Care,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)