Main Menu

Torque Spec

Started by Night Vision, August 08, 2006, 02:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

I don't remember seeing a torque spec for the clutch cover bolts in the Haynes or factory manual...

anyone know what it is?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

In the Haynes, there's a torque table for every size nut & bolt.  Comes in very handy.  My manuals are not handy at the moment - otherwise I'd tell you what section to look in.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

yeah, I've seen that chart... I wasn't sure when they list an 8mm bolt if it means the "wrench" size or shaft diameter.  ??? I guess it's shaft because these are allens?  ???

It's nice when the value is listed in front of the chapter
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Extent

an 8mm bolt has an 8mm shaftsize.

I actually think the torque list in the beginning is really annoying between flipping back and forth to find numbers and occationally guessing what a bolt is named.  I really like the way that the Honda factory service manuals do it, they have torque specs right on the exploded diagram, and on many of the other diagrams that accompany a procedure.  I've been meaning to make myself a set of charts like that for the V, but I've been lazy.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Kevin

The book is referring to the shaft size of the bolt, not the size of the head of the bolt. For example the side covers are held on with 6mm bolts.The allen wrench that fits the head of the bolts is 5mm.KevinC.