Shifting Between 1st & 2nd

Started by Proteus, August 10, 2006, 03:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proteus

I've been riding the V for about 5 years and I've always had a problem getting a clean shift between 1st and 2nd. About 2/3 of the time I get it but all too often I get neutral instead of second. About three years ago I adjusted the clutch to specs in the Haynes manual and the problem didn't get worse, nor did it improve. Am I just a numbnut or is there a trick to shifting between these gears that I haven't mastered? Or, is there an adjustment I should be tweaking to shorten the bridge between the two gears?

Walt_M.

If there is nothing wrong with the transmission there is no trick to the 1-2 upshift. You say this has been a problem for 5 yrs? Surely you've done several oil changes in that time. Are you using the recommended weight oil? Some of the members say their bikes shift smoother using synthetic oil but mine does fine on Yamalube 4. How much 'play' is in your shift linkage? I don't have the manual in front of me but there shouldn't be over 1/4 inch of play and the shifter should be adjusted at a comfortable level even with or only slightly above the foot peg.
If none of this helps, you may have a worn or bent shift fork. This would not be good as you would have to split the cases to replace it. Good luck.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Proteus

I always use Yamalube 4. There is no trouble shifting into and out of any of the other gears. The free-play is within specs as well as the shifter hight.

Night Vision

I was having a similar situation. If I wasn't paying close attention and got a little sloppy or lazy shifting from 1st. to 2nd. sometimes I'd miss. Also, my shifting didn't "snick" as well as my brothers bike did.

I ended up adjusting the position of the piece of the shifter that goes on the spline to be [more] half way in between the "all the way down or all the way up" travel between gears. Then I adjusted the height of the lever using the connecting rod.

I don't know if I explained that well, but what I'm trying to say is you may be more towards one extreme or the other with the position of the little part that goes on the spline.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

glennw

I was having a problem finding Neutral... I used the same fix as Night Vision..
No problem.. no more..
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Lucky

yeah, you have to be serious about the shift from first to second...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on August 10, 2006, 11:05:55 PM
yeah, you have to be serious about the shift from first to second...

Absolutely correct.  When I changed from my military style riding boots to the AlpineStars, I found I was having trouble in this same shift.  As long as I'm very positive about the shift, there's no problem.  When I get lazy, I find neutral instead of second & get a bit of a rev & a little red faced, too.   :-[

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.