The Dealer here in Hendersonville

Started by NewVisionGuy, August 10, 2006, 06:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewVisionGuy

My rear tire is starting to look pretty worn  so I rode down to the dealership to see what they could do for me.  The guy at the parts counter wanted to charge me $160  for a Avon supervenom  for the rear.  And he was serious....    I thought I'd seen these tires for just over $100  before.  Am I wrong here?

YellowJacket!

yup,  I paid about $115.00 for mine from Motorcycle superstore and another 20 to have it mounted.  Great tire BTW.  All the "dealers" I called wanted at least 80 to mount and balance.  Specialty shops were much less.  I found out a little later that Dennis Kirk had it for about $100.00.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

NewVisionGuy

yeah  Motorplow's supplier has pretty good deals   i've found

h2olawyer

The best deals I've found are American Motorcycle Tire www.americanmototire.com & Southwest Moto Tires www.swmototires.com.  Southwest is a little more expensive in original price but shipping on a pair is free.  American has lower initial prices but charge for shipping.  I got my Super Venoms from American for about $190 for both, shipping included.

They both carry all the good brands so you can get exactly what you're looking for & they both ship fairly quickly.  Be prepared to pay a fair bit of hip salad for mounting & balance, though.   ::)  There are ways to get your own mounting & balancing tools for very little money & they work very well.  You can get the balance extremely accurate with a set-up that cost me about $20, including the tape weights.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

NewVisionGuy

well  I'm  not  allowed to work on the bike  here at the apartments so  I'll have to  actually  pay someone to do the tire change for me.

OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   

h2olawyer

Find an independent shop - they will be lots less $$ than a dealer.  There is one near me that charges $20 per tire for mount & balance - provided you bring the rims in off the bike.  They will add normal shop rates if you ride it in & want them to do all the work.  Still, not as much as most dealerships will charge, though.  Some of the independent shops will include dismount, mount & balance if you buy the tires from them.  Call around to get an idea of what the charges will be.  It may be cheaper to buy your tires from one of your local independents if you're going to have them do the entire mount & balance job as well.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

NewVisionGuy

Yeah  CougarDave  suggested this  guy down in Mt. Juliet  who worked on Visions  20 years  ago.. says he  does a good job for  a fair price.  I'm going to call him on monday  to see what we can work out.  His shop is  probably 30 miles from my apartment  so  I get to have  a ride too   ;D  and that's always  a big PLUS!!!

d0n

Quote from: BlueBass on August 11, 2006, 01:03:36 PM
well  I'm  not  allowed to work on the bike  here at the apartments so  I'll have to  actually  pay someone to do the tire change for me.

OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   OUCH!!!   

take it to a friends house or to a parkinglot somewhere.

NewVisionGuy

Quote from: d0n on August 17, 2006, 09:33:33 AM
take it to a friends house or to a parkinglot somewhere.

I  would  take it to a friends  house  but  as of  now,  I haven't  acquired  any  with a garage yet.  I just moved here.    As  for the parking lot,  my bike  is my  only mode of transportation.   I  can  do the R/R  move and  oil changes and other fluid changes  in the Advance Stores   parking lot,  but I can't take the wheels off  because I have no way of getting the tires and tools  where I need them.  cougardave  recommended a guy  who  quoted me a price I'm happy with  so...   As soon as I have the money,  I'm going to get that done.  I'll order the tires  next wednesday  from him, and  have him put them on and balance them  when they're in.