I'm back (hi all)

Started by dchakrab, August 19, 2006, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

Just a note to say hi, since I've been away from the boards for a while. Swamped at work, conference and a brother to visit in DC, and then a trip up to NY to see my girlfriend at the summer camp where she's teaching (met Joe Vac there...very cool to see a Vision roll up and park out in the middle of nowhere, NY, and then find out it's ridden by a Visioneer).

Today was the first day of MSF for me...will post my thoughts on that elsewhere, but it feels nice to be riding. I could learn to like that little 250 Nighthawk, except that it revs so high and feels like it barely moves in first before I have to change gears (except that we're not supposed to change gears yet).

Todo: Finish the carbs that have been sitting on my desk soaking in cleaner for weeks, get them back in the bike, and take it for a ride :) MSF will take four weeks to mail me my completion card, and the course ends a week from tomorrow, which means I'll hopefully be licensed and legal at the end of September-ish.

I'm definitely looking forward to it, since it'll be my only means of transportation...hope I can get it reliable before then.

D.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

Serendipity

Congrats on getting going with the MSF course! I got my Vision just after I finished my course, so it's been my first bike. (If I remember your previous posts, you have ridden before though haven't you?) Took a little work to get her going, but now that I have been riding her regularly she just keeps getting better and better......though I have been meaning to take her to a parking lot and practice some of those MSF drills.

Have fun!
Patti

dchakrab

Thanks!

Yeah, I've ridden before, but I've never taken a formal training course, so I'm hoping to track down and erase any bad habits I've picked up. First day we didn't do much more than start / stop / waddle drills. I'm waiting for the countersteering / turns, since that's one thing I'm *sure* I'm not doing right. I'm also pretty sure my posture is a little off, since I tend to lock my arms when I'm not thinking about it and focusing on the ride. My enfield's got very high bars, so it's a different feel...on a Nighthawk training bike, it results in sore elbows.

But I'm loving the class. It's nice to be on a bike again, in a closed lot, for several hours at a stretch, with no work to do and no way for my boss(es) to find me :D

Now, let's just hope I can get a V running again at some point in the near future...
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.