News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

oops there goes another stator

Started by Night Vision, September 24, 2006, 04:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

:'( :'( :'( :'(

electrosport   ???

4,000 miles   >:(

oil cooler  ???

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Bummer.  At least you got 4K out of it.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

My original has almost 25k on it. OOOPs...just jinxed myself...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Superfly

Any extra ground wires from your RR to the battery negative?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Brian Moffet

I've got 40,000 miles on mine, no extra grounds, very good connectors though.

Brian

Night Vision

Quote from: Superfly on September 29, 2006, 07:21:48 PM
Any extra ground wires from your RR to the battery negative?

no I didn't...... not really sure if that would have helped this bagel.... I really think the quality of the winding job and insulation pales  >:(  compared to a newer OEM one.

I will add the extra ground this time for extra insurance
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Dempsey

QuoteAny extra ground wires from your RR to the battery negative?

My knowlege of this is limited. I have an 82 w/ 4400 mi. Is this somthing I should look into doing? Pardon my ignorance, but whats RR? Also I have noticed some of us have voltage meters on the bikes. Where do you tap into generally? All this stator talk scares the crap out of me  :o

Tiger

:) Eric, no need to apologise....we all have to start somewhere....and here is the best place... 8)

The Vision has a habit of eating stator's....with no hard and fast rule when or where..... :o..it's a Vision thing ;) Don't worry about it, just be aware. Fitting a voltmeter to your "V" allow's you to see when it goes bad, (voltage drop). Veeeery easy to fit.

The R/R is the Regulator/Rectifier, very basically it control's the electicity running thru the "V"....Stock R/R's are situated behind the battery box, an area of high heat....battery one side, overflow bottle on the other, rear cylinder in front and the rear fender behind, plus it generates heat!!!
Most, but not all, have moved the R/R to the rear footrest area to allow for better ventilation/cooling. You will need a bracket and you will also need to extend the wire's several inches. Cut out the white plastic connection and hard wire in. This is not a big job but worth doing..... ;)
Don't be afraid of the Vision's....Querks... ;D ;D ;D ;D. This time next year you will be helping others, trust me.... 8) You are already, just by asking these type of question's that some people are  :-[ embarressed to ask... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Dempsey

Tiger, were do you generally wire the voltmeter? What wiring harness. I replaced my controls and got into that mess in the headlight, not to mention changing my front turn signals. So I am familiar with the wiring..somewhat  ???.
Thanks for all the insight amigo!
               Eric "dempsey"