News:

Main Menu

gear problem

Started by fiddlesticks, September 28, 2006, 09:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddlesticks

Hi
Ok how do I explain this ??? Got the engine back. Put the engine back in the bike. Put the shifter on (and everything else). Now the gears seem to have moved.  First used to be when the lever was all the way down. Up passed neutral to second and 3rd ect. up from there. Now neutral is at the top and the gears go down from there.
WTF!  Any idears?
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

QBS

Sounds like a combination of the bike being in an unknown gear and the gear shift hardware being installed on the wrong spline.  Get the bike into known neutral and then install the shifter hardware so that the shift lever is comfortable for your foot.

Lucky

QBS is on the right track, you have part of the shifter linkage flipped.  pull it off look it over. you have something ''up'' instead of ''down''.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

fiddlesticks

Doh" Thats so simple I cant believe I missed it. :o
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

haunter

Quote from: fiddlesticks on October 02, 2006, 09:59:37 AM
Doh" Thats so simple I cant believe I missed it. :o

Thats MotoGP style shifting it sounds like, lots of R1/FZR guys switch to it b/c they feel its easier to hard riding
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

corwin

great idea! i should try it myself   :P

zore

Before I had the sprint, my monster was always gp shift.  I much prefure it.  But I couldn't switch the sprint and moving from one bike to another caused havic.  I find i miss less shifts with revers shift pattern.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900