Yesterdays ride

Started by hfarley, August 21, 2006, 11:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Ok I finally am getting some relief from this epidural steriod shot that I got in my back last week. I still need another one but I am much better. Well the riding itch got to be too much last night. Even though I still haven't figured out my charging issue. (I haven't been able to bend to do all the diagnostic testing involved in quite awhile.) I decided the heck with it all, I want to ride! I charged up the spare battery and the battery on the bike. Strapped the spare onto the seat, grabbed a screwdriver and other assorted tools, and said bye to the hubby. Went for a really needed ride up route 1, onto route 130, and then went into the parking lot at mcmaster carr to zip around and show off a little. LOL! I guess I got a little cocky as I tore out of the parking lot, reeved the engine and took off like a bat out he#$ down the road. Because whenI finally stopped at a different huge parking lot down the road the bike wouldn't start. LOL! I deserved that. I got off, swapped batteries, and rode back home. Boy did it feel good to get the old gal out to stretch her legs! And it was kind of fun too! All I can say is I still am grinning from my 20 mile little stretching of the legs.
-Heather

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

don_vanecek

Nice ride. I find it interesting as my body is starting to sense the days getting shorter I'm getting to get that "oh know, the season will soon be over feeling". Not quite the same feeling you were having-but still Vision withdrawal.

Some thoughts for you till your charging system works again. Don't even think of riding after dark. Pull the headlight fuse out (everything else will still work). Then if you have a good running V you can figure on about three restarts with a good battery. Did this for one summer after my stator went out. As a side note, my stupid stator went out on me (now I'm talking about 1993) as I was 70 miles from home bringing my then 18 year old daughter home for labor day weekend from college. It was interesting that she could not quite give the V a good enough push for a jump start,I had to find a guy to push me (so if you don't want that to happen keep that spare battery with ya!).

Serendipity

Good job girl!!! So glad you got to go on a ride. I'm sure it helped alleviate your stress, even if it was just for a little while.

And too cool on knowing how to deal with your "issue" and making it happen anyway! I'm a true believer in if there's a will there's a way. Kudos to you for not letting something like a little charging issue get in your way. ;) You rock!

Patti

hfarley

Don, I thought about that little trick with the headlight but unfortunately by the time I usually get a chance to ride it is either dusk or dark outside. (but less cars on the road) So that trick wont work for me. What I didn't mention was that when I got off the bike to change the battery's my butt was all wet. It turnsd out that a very small amount of the fluid from the spare battery had leaked out when I had gone around a turn rather quickly (Being a stupid ass and showing off to no one but myself. LOL) And the battery tipped on its side. When I realied that I went oh crap! I was thinking that I had a spare battery and this one wasn't going to work because of the fluid loss. Well it did and I learned a lesson. LOL! Oh well, it didn't stop me from having my fun anyway!

Serendipity, you are correct, where there is a will, I WILL FIND A WAY!! LOL!

And boy did that little ride do a world of good for my stress factor!! Now maybe I will be able to relax enough to finish troubleshooting my bike. LOL! (or should I just go out for another ride......decisions, decisions... :P

-Heather (Still grinning)
PS I still cna't get over how good this bike's torque feels when she gets going. And how stable I feel on her.

Night Vision

Heather, sorry you took a bath  >:( ...  (those might turn out to be good summer riding pants though  :D )

for future reference.... my brother went close to a hundred miles on a fully charged good battery with headlight on, brake lights, no use of turn signals, four or five starts, getting his bike to my house to replace the stator.

(your mileage may vary)  
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

George R. Young

My record for riding a Vision sans charging is 500 mi. from Roanoke VA to Ottawa, ON, over 2 days. No lights, push starting, made it to within 2 blocks of home, needed help to push the rest of the way.

After that I started carrying a spare stator, but biking shouldn't be like this. Yamaha designed a part to last a little longer than the 1 year warranty, and never fixed the problem on the Vision, although they did on the Venture.

hfarley

I don't know how far I can travel but after two starts she ain't movin no more. LOL! I think it is my stator but won't confirm until I finish the troubleshooting part!

-Heather