opening up gas tank

Started by 69shovel, August 24, 2006, 02:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69shovel

i have seen a couple of pictures of tanks split in half along the same. i want to blast my tank inside and out. my question is how did y'all do this and how did you seal it back together? thanks in advance
-Jay
69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

Night Vision

I don't think the intention was to put it back together, I think it was just to show the low points that rust...

why not just por-15 the tank. in the process, you can dump a bunch of small nuts and bolts to knock any loose rust out. (tip- count them first, and get a magnetic wand to get them back out)

glad you got the seal.... watch those gears!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

vavision

There's a process called RENU that I'm about to do where they cut the tank in half, clean out the corrosion, fix the leaks, then weld it back together and put a crazy superior coating both inside AND outside. Of course it destroys your paint and it's hella expensive compared to POR but consider it the ultimate POR job.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on August 24, 2006, 03:05:51 PM
I don't think the intention was to put it back together, I think it was just to show the low points that rust...

why not just por-15 the tank. in the process, you can dump a bunch of small nuts and bolts to knock any loose rust out. (tip- count them first, and get a magnetic wand to get them back out)

glad you got the seal.... watch those gears!

I used some lengths of differing size chain.  They were easier to get out than the nuts nad bolts.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

69shovel

ok cool. thanks fella's. i'll give that a try
69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

VisionaryDan

Hey if you have a lot of rust in your tank a good solution is to fill the tank with white vinegar and let it sit for a few days. White vinegar is cheap. You can pick it up by the gallon at Sam's Club. I did this on an old 73 Suzuki TS250 (it was rusted really bad) and it worked wonders. It dissolves the rust and took it down to bare metal.   Rinse it out with some kerosene to get the rust particles that are left in the bottom (may take a few rinses). Then POR-15 the tank and your all set.

Dan