News:

Main Menu

Harley-Davidson

Started by Superfly, August 28, 2006, 07:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Harley-Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise
without the adverse side effect of horsepower !

Did you know 95% of all Harleys are still on the road?
The other 5% actually made it home.

What's the cheapest way to get another 50hp from your Harley?
Trade it in on a Suzuki.

Why don't Harley riders sit on their bikes when the sidestands are down?
They're afraid to lean over that far.

What's the difference between a Harley and a Harley owner's home?
The Harley costs more and has fewer wheels.

How do you know you're riding a Harley?
While coming off an exit-ramp you get passed by a Vespa.

Why don't Harley riders wave at sportbike riders?
Because they don't want to drop their tools.

What do you call a group of Harley Owners with a collective IQ of 120?
Sturgis!

How do Harley engineers tell if a bike is worthy of the Harley name?
They check to make sure the exhaust noise in decibels exceeds the
horsepower rating.

Why don't Harley owners smile?
Once you realized you got conned into paying $25,000 for an outdated piece of $#!+, would YOU be smiling?

What's the difference between a Harley Davidson and a vacuum cleaner?
The location of the dirtbags.

Why do Harleys have fringe?
So you can tell if they're moving.

How is a Harley Davidson like an old dog?
They both like to ride in the back of pickup trucks.

How do you know your Harley is handling great?
You can almost keep up with the logging trucks when you're riding in the
canyons.

What is the difference between a Harley Davidson and an old dog?
The dog can get in the back of the pickup by itself.

Why couldn't the Harley mechanic repair the doorknob?
Some things just can't be fixed with only a hammer and a rope.

Why do all Harley owners have trailers??
So they can go around corners faster!

You know you're a Harley rider if.

you're unable to let your bike simply IDLE at a stop light.

you confuse the word "character" with the more accurate term engineeringflaws.

"water cooled" means standing on the side of the road, in the rain,
waiting for a wrecker.

And the biggest (or at least the most expensive) Harley joke of all time:
The Harley-Davidson VR-1000 superbike racer.
(alternate answer: Buell XB-RR FX "racer").
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Serendipity

Well that's just mean....but funny. ;)

Went on a Poker Ride by myself yesterday and I noticed I tend to ride a lot faster than most of the Harley people. I assumed it was because they were just more conservative riders than me, (and if you know me you know how ironic a statement that is) now I realize it must be because they don't have the power to go any faster. LOL (just kidding)

Patti

kiawrench

yo,, dipity,,, must be those recently acquired dragon skillz showing up on a poker run
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

supervision

A true Motorcyclist is rare indeed, Harley riders are a dime a dozen
" border="0

Tdub

Careful guys, I might take offense. Although I have never in my life owned a street bike, I have come to know Many HD riders and racers. Believe me they are no different than a diehard Vision rider. JMO Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

visionless

Sorry T-Dub, but I also know HD riders, some are good friends and some are relatives.  I happen to like them very much!  But there is a big difference between Harley riders and motorcycle riders. Get a bunch of guys together for a ride some on Harley and some not and the differences become apparent quite quickly.  Now racers on the other hand are different breed all together. 
                        Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

YellowJacket!

I think for many, owning a Harley is part of "The American Dream" or a rite of passage.  I hear so many people say "I want to own a Harley by the time I turn 40/50".  My brother in law has a beautiful Sportster and he loves it....but, he almost never rides it.
I look at the classified ads almost daily and the HD's for sale outnumber the other bikes almost 10-1...and they're ALL NEW (Last 3 years).  I think a lot of people get them then the honeymoon wears off or the rirst payment coupon comes and they want to get rid of them.
I think things have improved a lot since the days of AMF but that stigma was burned into them.
And finally, the cat is out of the bag.  After my tank episode, I told my wife and kids I finally had an idea for my birthday next week.  I told them they could buy the tank for me.  Vicki said she already had my BD present and couldn't get the tank.  After a few hours of thinking, she decided to give me a choice..the tank or what she had planned for me. She had planned on RENTING me a Harley for several days as a 40th BD gift. (Aint she great!)  I decided to buy the tank with my own money so it looks like I'll be a Harley rider for at least a few days.  ;D ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

glennw

I have nothing against Harley's.... Though I have never heard a kind word about them. My beef is more with the "riders". I guess if you ride a 1982 Yamaha Vision you might have little concept of "buying an image". It works the same with cars. I pass $125K German cars on the way to work everyday (if they move over SO I CAN pass them)... going 55MPH.... It's not about what the car is capable of... it's about the image... In the pea brain of someone who buys something for image is this thing that says... "Everyone elses ride or car is inferior to mine... can't you SEE how COOL I am"... It does not matter if they can ride it or drive it correctly or not.
And so I say....
Bullsh*t just get f*ck out of the way!
and let me and my Yammy go on my merry way...
GlennW
Half Mad Max

visionless

Nothing like driving up a curvy road, be it in a car or on a motorcycle,  And getting stuck behind a pack of slow moving "cool" Harley's.  Dad (Ron McCoy) and I actually saw a Harley holding up a large motorhome going over the Lion's Trail one time.  Those of you who were at the Johnsondale ride Know the Lion's Trail.  You would have to be going awfully damn slow to hold up an motorhome.
                     Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

smknjoe1964

To me its about appreciating whatever your riding and becoming one with the machine ! I can relate to alot of what was said about different bikers .Ive owned several harleys and alot of diff other bikes ! My last harley I sold not to long ago was a 65 900 sporty . It was a rare machine and required constant upkeep ! I now own 3 visions and a fiat 850 spider trike . Just because there different from what everybody else is riding and I dont look like a stereotype !

YellowJacket!

I think its the "stigma" that we like to poke fun at rather than the bike itself.  There are a lot of Harley riders around where I live.  They still wave at me just like everyone else.

David

Lucky

I'll chime in here,
i wouldn't mind owning a Harley, but i doub't it'd ever command the attention from me the way my V does, unless it was rare, and in good shape.

I spent my youth working for Ford dealerships & never owned a Mustang, the only one i'd ever considered wanting was a '70 fastback, just 'cause i like the looks.

I once had a '78 Z28, & that was just a toy to add lots of bolt on chrome to. (in Ft Lauderdale, that was called a 'chick magnet") it was a very fun car, i'll admit, but i got so sick & tired of seeing Mustangs & Camaro's every 10 feet, that i sold it & bought a '70 442 ragtop.

THAT was a muscle car! i loved that beast, i cold burn a set of rear tires off it faster than you could say 'boo'.  i left a lot of rubber on the streets of Hollywood, Fl....

the point? it really doesn't matter much what you ride/drive, as long as your having fun! yup, the middle-aged guy driving down the road in his drop-top Vett may look hilarious with his toupe lifting in the wind, but who cares, he's having fun (and is amusing to the rest of us)

the point is, whatever you ride/drive, scooter, Mercedies, Harley, Vision, APC, jet-ski, etc, should bring a smile to your face.

Just don't get me started on SUVs!!!!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Funny Story:

I have a set of scrub tops that have motorcycles imprinted all over them and I get a lot of good comments about them.  ;D The other day one of the physical therapists asked me if I "ride" and I told her yes, I do.  She started talking about her and her husbands Harleys and how they TAKE them everywhere. She asked me what kind I have...not what kind of bike...just what kind and I told her a vintage Yamaha XZ550 V-Twin. She sais "oh" (I can't recreate the lack of feeling that was in her voice but I knew there was a diss built into it).  So I asked her if they had a trailer and she said (and this is the good part) "Yes, we use it all the time."  I smiled and said "Yup, I like RIDING my bike".   ;D  ;D  ;D

David

h2olawyer

I was working on setting up a different camera mount on my bike yesterday.  Our mailman stopped by & asked if the bike in the garage was mine.  I answered yes, and he asked more of the usual questions - what kind, size, how old . . . things like that.  When I got the chance, I asked him what he rides.  He says he has an 85 V-Max with 11,000 miles & " in as nice shape as yours".  I was expecting him to say Harley - just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover.  He really looks like he should own a H-D.

Anyway, he says he loves going up to Sturgis and dusting the Harleys along the way.  He had some great stories about how the Harley guys think their bikes are so fast - until they get a taste of that Yamaha's exhaust.  ;D  Told him the Vision is pretty good at taking on H-Ds, too.  I'll have to see if he wants to get out for a ride & compare bikes one of these days.  He says he's not really into canyon carving & prefers the wide open sweepers.  Can't say I'm too surprised - with the ride he has.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.