Main Menu

Good News!

Started by h2olawyer, September 02, 2006, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

As many of you remember, my dad fell & broke his hip at the end of May.  He then had some other health problems, delaying his hip replacement surgery until mid June.  Anyway, after two and a half months, dad is finally out of the nursing / rehab facility & back home.  His hip is well healed & he is getting around with a walker very well.  His physical therapist will be training him on proper cane use next week.  He still has some minor balance problems but his strength is very good.  He has regained nearly all of his independence & should continue to improve as time goes by.

Thank-you everyone for your kind words & prayers over the summer.  They helped me get through a couple difficult months.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Mutt

Congratulations to you and your Dad! I know that's a load off your mind.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

one thing we've learned about elderly parents & canes: when grampa wants to get your attention, your gonna have bruises on your shins!!

glad he's doing better!
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

"Proper Cane Use"

Is that when Dad gets slapped at the pool tabe in the bar, immediately after that young lady was bending over the table to take her shot?

Tiger

8) ALWAYS good to "hear" GOOD NEWS....... 8)

;D       TIGER        ;D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

louthepou

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

YellowJacket!

Glad to hear that things are going better for your dad and family. :D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rolle

Hi!
I´m Happy for You and Your dad!

Roland ;D
Take care and be safe on the roads!

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Serendipity

Yeah!!! So glad to hear he is doing well!

h2olawyer

It's amazing.  Dad just keeps improving every day.  He normally gets up out of chairs unassisted now.  When he came home Thursday, he still needed a fair amount of help for that.  His balance is slowly improving as well.

Thanks for all the kind words!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

hfarley

Glad to hear the good news H2O! It must be going around. My father-in-law came home this weekend. Although he still can not walk yet and has a really bad bed sore he is much happier being home and hopefully a change of scenery will help him to get his appetitie back and build up his strength. Again glad to hear your dad is doing better, and you had better watch out for him with that cane. He will learn how to use that pretty quick and Lucky is right watch out for your shins!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

h2olawyer

Great news, Heather!  Glad to hear your father - in - law is getting better.  My dad had a small bedsore earlier this summer, too.  Those things are painful!  Being home is probably the best medicine for anyone not needing constant monitoring & attention.

Dad's recovery had about topped out for what the nursing home could provide & he really made some significant gains after getting home - especially in the first 48 hours or so, but even after several days, I can see big improvements throughout each day.  Thought I'd be pretty much trapped at home for a couple weeks, but I've already managed to get out for a couple rides & will be getting out of the house even more as time goes by.  I think it's more a problem with me not trusting my dad's abilities until I see him do things a few times on his own.  I keep telling him he's doing great & I'm the one with the problem of not being able to stop worrying about him falling again.  :D

H2O