I need more power!!

Started by Superfly, November 05, 2004, 09:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Hey Guys.

I have been working on the Rat, and I have a couple of glitches to work out.  (I have re-built the carbs and just sync'd them.)

1.  She is still backfiring & popping every so often when she is trying to start.

2.  Need more power, she just does not seem to have the power of my other Vision.

3.  She is bogging down still in every gear.

I am thinking it is still carb-related, just wondering if there are any other suggestions.

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Hi Superfly -

You & Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor!  

It sounds like carbs to me, too. ?Since it happens in every gear, it is more likely RPM sensitive. ?Have you noticed if it has any particular RPM ranges where it runs OK & others where it bogs? ?If it seems to bog at all RPMs, you might want to check the spark.

A couple other thoughts -

Does it have the vacuum operated flap in the airbox or is it pre-mod?

Have you done the contortion act & checked valve clearances? ?(one of my winter projects this year)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

i'f it's backfiring then the engine is turning over too slowly while cranking. check: battery voltage while cranking. poss causes: weak battery, weak charging system, oil in the starter, slipping starter clutch.

Slight adjustment to the pilot screws may help.

Bogging:
--still dirt in carbs,
--check vacc flapper door by sucking on the hose. door is adjustable, the mounting holes for the flapper are slotted, so you can try adjusting that too.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

Thanks guys,

I will put the carbs, and airbox on from my other V, and check it out.  

MORE POWER!!!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

silicon_toad2000

if its backfiring through the carby then its running lean so you have a clogged idle circut or an air leak.
if its backfiring through the exhaust then the spark is not iginiting all the fuel air charge every time so like lucky said charging system. give the battery a good charge before trying to start it and see if it helps.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

wolfman

Rode mine for nearly 3 months once, thinking what I was expirencing power wise was normal, and the "bog" was just the cursed Vision stumble. ?That is until I checked and realized the neither of my accelerator pump nozzles were working ::) ?Needless to say, she runs and rides MUCH better now! ?In several years of riding and repair, I have found the ignition system in these bikes is fairly bullet proof provided you have GOOD Connections, system voltage and plugs. ?The carbs are the source of 80% (or better) of starting and overall performance issues, but once you DO get them right, the difference is amazing and worth the effort.