Spark plug recommendations, comments...

Started by Josh M, October 25, 2004, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh M

My bike is due for some new spark plugs, and I'm wondering if I should stick to the D8EA plugs that are in it ($2.50 each) or if I should put in the higher performance D8EVX plugs ($8.25 each)  The cost isn't really an issue.  

What's everybody using, what's good, what's not.  Also, does anyone have any reccommendations for plug wires?  Can they be replaced without replacing the coil?

tia
shiny shiny....

Superfly

I am using the stock D8EA plugs, and they work good for me.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

ProfessorRex

I've got D8EA, they are working great for me.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

louthepou

Same here, NGK; don't spend too much on the plugs, but gap them properly and change them once in a while = trouble free.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Rick G

Go with the stock ones , I believe you can replace the plug wires ,but I've never had the occasion to do so.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

The one time I changed them, I could only find the alternate ND plugs.  They seem to work fine too.  With an occasional cleaning & gap check, either the stock NGKs or the NDs work great & provide lots of miles of good service.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Yes you can change just the plug wires, but you probably should change the caps as well.  the caps unscrew from the wire, as does the ciol end.  you should be able to get the caps at any good m/c shop, around $5 each.  i found that finding bulk wire though is getting harder than it used to be....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

Jegs carries two different kinds of plug wire that I could find in the 2mins that I spent looking (both waaaaay better than stock).  I bet sumit racing also has some, and probably any other big online store of that type.  I'm not sure what would work with the stock caps, and coils, and I'm interested in finding out.  I'm a big believer in powerful spark!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

louthepou

Good advices, guys. 20 year old wire is probably not the most efficient, and changing the cap is a good idea after a few years, since the vibration can cause the metal in the cap to wear.

Found out about that on my FJ1100 in 1993, just outside Winnipeg, Manitoba, in pooring rain. I put aluminum foil in two of the caps that were loose on the plugs, that worked until I found a motorcycle shop.

Since they are quite cheap, changing them every few years before the bike starts working on half its cylinders in the middle of nowhere is a good idea.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Josh M

Quote20 year old wire is probably not the most efficient, and changing the cap is a good idea after a few years

When I got the bike running three years ago, I remember I had to cut about two to three inches off the plug wires.  The cores had deteriorated to green dust.  I can only imagine what condition they're in now. :o  

What do you guys think of the Accel universal 8.8mm kits?
shiny shiny....

Rick G

You need to find a source of  plug wire that has wire in side, not the carbon core stuff for cars,
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Josh M

The Accel wires are silver plated copper woven around stainless steel.  And they're yellow for high performance ;D
shiny shiny....

Superfly

One of the first things I do is change out the plug wires.  I found a shop that sells the wire, and I just buy the NGK caps.  Huge difference.

jasonm.

8.8mm wire won't fit into these coils. 7mm is what they came with. The local auto store has rolls of the stuff. The caps???Do a resistance check first, 10k ohms. The Yamaha caps last a long time. I put NGK caps(5k ohms) on mine with D8EVX plugs. No noticable difference running. But seemed to start easier. But one NGK cap went bad in just a couple years. Go figure.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

another reason for replacing the caps is that they can micro crack, and short to ground.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Josh M

Quote8.8mm wire won't fit into these coils. 7mm is what they came with.

D'oh!!!  All I can find in my catalogs is 8mm and 8.8mm.....
shiny shiny....

coyote_killer

How do the plug wires go into the coil??Are they easy to change??
Tim

81 ATC250R
82 XZ550
85 YZ490
08 LT-Z750

Superfly

Making wires is very easy.  After you cut the wire to length, put the coil cap & O ring onto the wire, leaving about 1" to stick into the coil, then just screw in the wire.