News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Tools to get me started, Any suggestions?

Started by hfarley, November 03, 2004, 11:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hfarley

Obviously I need to get some basic tools to do work on my bike with. Can you guys reccommend what should be in my toolbox? I am just looking for a list of tools to get me started then I will add the more repair specific tools later on.
I want this tool set to allow me to do the majority of the basic repairs that you can forsee in the future. If there are actual toolsets out there that I can purchase please let me know where.
Thanks!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Josh M

You could pick up a good metric tool kit from sears(craftsman), Home depot, most auto parts stores(keep in mind that you will get what you pay for)

For individual tools:  6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18mm wrenches(sockets, ratchet, whatever) small collection of allen wrenches, pliers, vise grips, duct (duck quack quack) tape, etc.

There are also some specialty tools that you will only need to do certain jobs.  Most of theses can be rented, borrowed, (shifty eyes..) stolen..because you will only use them until the job is done, then they will collect dust in your tool box.  I always try to keep at least a half-full can of parts cleaner at hand, and some waterproof grease.

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important tool of them all!!!  A well stocked beer fridge in the garage!!!  ;) :D ;D
shiny shiny....

Lucky

You will need, and can pick up cheaply, a DVOM (digital-volt-ohm-meter) radio shack has them inexpensive, but better quality is worth the money, getting incorrect readings can take a one hour diagnosis and strech it into days, very frustrating...

The meter MUST do diodes. this is a common feature, but isn't included on all meters.

a 12V test light will save headaches too

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Riche

Watch the Sears ads. They often have tool kits that contain both metric and SAE sockets & some wrenches. Look for one of their deals on screwdrivers or pliers too. Some Saturdays they give an extra 10% off. Craftsman is good quality and guarantied for life. Take care of them and they will last you that long. Some of my tools have been with me for 40 years. Others that I didn?t get new are even older.

Standing still

I have an original manual, the haynes one is very important to have.
I have found many sites with timely and tested tricks, tips and fixes. and just general info. Remember you're a student now. you gotta study. . look for them.

http://www.dansmc.com/balancecarbs.htm
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/ElectricalMiscFAQs.htm#DC%20Electrical%20Basics
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/VoltageRectifierFAQ.htm

make copius notes.
 TIRE GUAGE
 LONG needle nose pliers. Small needle nose pliers.  
goode quality shop light with goode quality extension cord. Battery charger(I have a one amp trickle charger)
get extensions(long/short/bendy) to go with them sockets and a goode ratchett( the thing which turns the sockets}
get a bendy extension for sparkplugs. I have two..
 sparkplug socket that fits your plugs.
 a special long skinny flat head screwdriver for the carbs. you need it for adjusting the air/fuel mixture.
Large Hammer: you'll know when you need it..
Thinking cap: be extremely thoughtful when working on fragile parts like CARBS and or FUEL PUMPS..
Take your time and reminde yourself often to have fun and learn things..

WHEN RIDING:
remember when on the road folkes will kille and or maim you if you are ignorant of the dangers..
look for the folkes who will pull out in front of you and side-swipe you and say they never saw you..
AVOID the accident..
the life you save may be your own..

Blake

I definately have to agree with the craftsman tools.

I bought a set of socket wrenches for around 50 bucks maybe close to 7 years back or so (was one of the sales they do).  Over the course of time i probabaly have broken 5-10 socket and wrenches (i test my tools to the limits) and all you have to do it go back to the store, get the same piece, and the register they exhange it for you, no hassels..

I even exchanged some tools from my grandfather that looked to be from somethere in the early 70's and didnt have any problems with the exchange (they let me get the newer version of the tool of course).  Definately get their screwdrivers even if you can get cheap ones from hardware stores for half the price.  you'd be amazed how many tips of phillips head screwdrivers you can break trying to pry things apart  ::)  their tools are well worth the money.  the only tools i would say would be of higher quality is Snapon tools (which i actually think is a part of craftsman if im correct)..  only difference is snapon sockets are slightly thicker and are more durable (and expensive, and you usually have to wave down one of the independant dealers to buy something from him).  but Craftsman all the way.

I'm over here away from my garage back at home at an apartment building while in school.  what i have in my tool box is definately good to do nearly everything needed to fix the vision from its usual problems.

Assorted screw drivers
Vise Grip Pliers
Needle nose pliers
regular ole standard pliers
crescent wrench
Metric and standard socket wrench sets (1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive)
Digital Volt Meter (think it cost me 7 dollars from harbor freight)
Wire cutters and strippers
electrical tape
IMPACT WRENCH (best 10 bucks you'll spend.  with all the old rusted screws on the vision, this thing has saved me MANY hours of cursing to get out rusted and stripped screws)
zip ties (youd be amazed how these things come in handy)
metric Allan wrench set (you can get a nice fold up set from home depot for 5 bucks or so)
open ended wrenches (for those places where a socket wrench wont fit..i.e oil drain plug)

Im pretty sure those are the basic necessities that i have in my little tool box here with me.  but if you have what i listed you will be more than prepared for nearly all problems that could arise. just remember, a little money and time spent on aquiring tools now will save you loads of time and money later running to a hardware or autoparts store to find the tool you need to get your bike back on the road on those saturday mornings when the weather is just pefect.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

louthepou

Well, I didn't read every single word of the posts under this subject, appologies if something was already mentioned.

Useful to have around:
- An oil pan (to drain the oil); you can make one with a windshield washer with one face removed...
- A funnel
- Rags
- degreasing hand wash
- A small torque wrench. May sound like I'm exagerating, but avoiding striping even one bolt on the aluminum engine is worth the price of a half decent torque wrench. Plus, it's so cool when it goes "click"
- I agree with Josh on his beer fridge suggestion, but a small bottle of single malt does fit in the tool chest, no need for a fridge. (My wife would argue that a beer fridge would fit in the toolchest, but I think that wouldn't leave any place for the single malt).

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

SCOOTERTRAMP!! that's you isn't it?  (Standing still) ;) I can tell...lol

Extent

I've got a Powerbuilt 200something piece tool kit that I got as a gift.  

For working on the bike I most often use
ratchets (3/8 and a smaller one) and metric sockets
Ratcheting screwdriver and large philips bit
medium sized screwdrivers (philips and straight)
Allen wrench set (metric)
Pliers (needle nosed and linesman's)

Less often I use:
Large wirecutters
Open ended wrenches
Deep neck sockets (metric)
adjustable wrench

Plus I've added a bunch of tools that I need that weren't in the kit:
Torque wrenches (click style, 3/8" and 1/2" drive)
1/2" drive breaker bar
4' pipe extension for said breaker
22mm 1/2" socket
spark plug socket to fit my new plugs (the Yamaha one is too big)
digital multimeter
Soldering station
standing worklights (I work at night a lot)
wiring stripping tool (an automatic one, a must for electrical IMO, much faster to use than the plier style tools)
vicegrip pliers
floor jack (3tonn, but I use it for the car as well)
Mityvac (for bleeding brakes)
Manual tire changing tool + motorcycle adaptor from HarborFreight
a set of MotionPro tire irons
Home-made carb sync tool (ATF style)
Dremmel tool w/ all kinds of fun bits ;D

There are also a bunch of consumables that are good to have around:
Blue shop paper towels
zip ties
Vaccume cap set
a couple feet of vaccume tubing and fuel line (in all the sizes on the bike)
Gaffer's tape
electrical tape
Microfiber cloths
spray carb cleaner
Berryman's carb dip
WD40
Cotter pin assortment
Locktite (blue and red)
antisieze compound
JBWeld and JBQuik
liquid gasket stuff (Yamabond 3?)

The kit is pretty usefull, but I would defenatly buy a metric only set, about half the tools in it are useless because all I've got is imports.  AFAIK Snap-On isn't related to Craftsman.  I think a lot of race teams use Snap-On and Matco tools, they're very expensive, but will last forever and never break.  I've always said get Snap-On if you want your tools to never fail, get Craftsman for no hastle replacements whenever they do fail.  I want to get myself a new craftsman metric kit one of these days.  I've also got a compressor in the garage which is invaluable at times and soon I'm going to pick up an air impact wrench for it.  Getting new tools is always a blast, and can be almost as addicting as the V it's self  :P.

You're best getting a tool set and adding 1 or 2 things that you need specificaly rather than buying them all individually, it'll cost more that way.

There's all kinds of other stuff I could list, but this post is already too long ::)
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

coupla more 'must haves' for the shop:
--computer with broadband internet connection, page either here or on my site, Yahoo chat & webcam for showing exactly which part fell out, lol
--fire extinguisher for use in case of stator failure
--earplugs for kiddies ears if they happen to walk in while you are hammering on the rotor puller screw & miss...   ;D

kiawrench

i think we can list tools here for days on end, but the thing is , buy the best you can afford ,each and every time. cheap tools will hurt you , at times- could cause you serious damage (missing fingertips,broken wrist,stitches)

buy what you see a need for as you go along, but buy tools just like you buy shoes:
  try the tools out , handle it, get a feel for it - if it is sharp edged, puts pressure on your hand in painful way or just feels "goofy" - leave it in the store. a tool that doesnt feel right in the store will never get better, it will most likely end up in a drawer wasting space and money ( sort of like chosing jump boots over 'cruit boots)
  a good tool will feel good from the first time you hold it , and will not be stamped japan or china

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

louthepou

I couldn't agree more, Kiawrench. Many people laugh at me when I talk about the importance of the "feel" of a tool, but when you're going to use a tool for decades, there is a difference between a tool that feels right and works perfectly and a tool that feels wrong and will never work as you need / want / whish / or as it should.

Quality wins over quantity in my garage.

In other news, funny that one would not want cheap tools manufactured in Asia, with a name like "Kia" and "wrench"...  ;D
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Billy_Bob

Ether... I swear its the best cleaner around... I use the stuff all the time  ;)
Thanks,

Billy Bob
(Bob Menard)
eBay-   bob-menard ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
84 Honda Big Red 200es
82 Honda 250R
82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
79 Suzuki GS 550e
97 Polaris XLT 600
87 GMC (Modified)

Josh M

Ether, also good for quieting annoying neighbors, girlfriends, etc....
shiny shiny....