News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Engine tries to stall.......

Started by Phatjap, August 14, 2006, 03:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phatjap

Hi
My bike seems to have developed a slight problem, its slightly different from all the other carb/engine/stutter related like problems so I am going to see if anyone has any opinions on it.

There are no stutters (except for the faintest hint at about 3.5-4k rpm) otherwise its smooth as silk, she starts well, runs great until I let the throttle off after about 5 mins of riding at about 50-60mph. It seems like its possible only running one cylinder, sounds sort of not right?! she tries to stall and and will do if I let the revs go below 3.5-4k.  If I rev and put the choke on it seems to stop it stalling but it means revving its ti*s off. If I go again back up to 60 it all seems well again.? Could it be being starved of fuel?
Anything I can try?
Look forward to any suggestions.

Cheers

Phatjap.
Skype me. Phatjap

Lucky

have you cut the rev limiter wire?
other thought is a plugged up Pilot fuel jet.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

???.....and you do have a clean gas (petrol) filter in line.... ???
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Phatjap

Hi

Not cut the rev limiter wire yet...could you let me know how to do that please.....

Will check the filter today......

Cheers
Skype me. Phatjap

Phatjap

Hello

Did ask how to to cut the rev. limiter wire....? I know its yellow with thin black wire from TCI unit....but is that the IC IGNITOR box? If not, whre would I loccate the TCI?

Cheers
Skype me. Phatjap

Night Vision

the TCI and the IC Ignitor box are the same thing (behind the right side cover, behind the reservoir)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Phatjap

Thought it might be but wanted to check as I read on another post something about '6 pronged connector'  ?

Mine has 5 connections.
Skype me. Phatjap

Superfly

On the 6 gang plug that goes into the TCI, the Yellow/Black wire is the rev limiter.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Night Vision

Quote from: Phatjap on August 31, 2006, 12:25:02 PM
Thought it might be but wanted to check as I read on another post something about '6 pronged connector'  ?

Mine has 5 connections.

the TCI box has two connectors on it. if I remember right,  one coming from the R&R, the other off the main wiring harness

stupid memory, he's right, the R&R wires go into the wiring harness near the back of the TCI.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Superfly

I would not suggest plugging the R/R into the TCI.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Phatjap

Ok thanks, completed the inline fuel filter, completed cutting of rev limiter, tested bike and the problem still persistets, very very similar to this http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=5143.0 issue here.

Does anyone have any more ideas?

Getting rather annoying!

Have a good day.
Skype me. Phatjap

Lucky

Quote from: Phatjap on September 04, 2006, 01:43:48 PM
completed the inline fuel filter,

does this mean you didn't have one previously? if not, you probably have a plugged or dirty pilot jet.

also, check to be sure the synq rod adjustment screw is tight, if not it could be way out of synq.  when was the last time you did synq them? have you checked it yet (and all the other 'basic' things?)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

If the carbs are sync'd.Going after the electrics is the wrong way to go when you say it runs with the choke on ...means... It is a lean problem....lack of fuel.  = plugged jet or vacuum leak=YICS box or hose leaking. 
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules