Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

oh that lovely gas odor

Started by haunter, September 04, 2006, 12:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haunter

so I removed teh check ball and destroyed cork gasket from my gas cap

now my garage reeks of gas fumes

is it the ball or the gasket being gone causing this??

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

jasonm.

likely the gasket. NOW There is no resistance to fumes just coming out the cap. There is a baffle. No gasket....no baffle. The check ball is important too.  On my '83 I only smell gas when the engine is hot. And fumes poor out the overflow hose...just fumes. Yes, I can see them like heat rising from hot asphalt. Everytime I stop at a light I try not to inhale too hard.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lead_Deficiency

I took my gas cap apart because it would sometimes leak gas onto the top of the tank and the gas smell was pretty strong, but I didn't see any check valve.

I think it was apart before I got it because there was only part of a gasket in there.

Any suggestion on what type of material I should use for a gasket? and where should a check ball go if I can find one?

MotorPlow

Mine doesn't (and never had) a check ball. I think we have two different types of gas caps. I know the '83s are metal and the '82s are plastic. But I think the internals are completely different too. I don't have a check ball and I used float bowl gasket type of material.