News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Westward Ho, a.k.a. The Crow story

Started by Kenny, September 05, 2006, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Left Trenton on Aug 17th on Dorothy's vision - changed the seat back to the stock one first, as my legs are slightly longer than hers!  (note from Dorothy - that's only slightly longer!!)  Had a super ride to Michigan's upper peninsula, riding almost 1000 kms the first day.  After that, I needed a stop at Aerostitch in Duluth to pickup a sheepskin seat pad!  Man what a difference it makes.  (About $65US)  Headed thru Minot ND, and ended up in Southern Saskatchewan on the second night - another long ride with the sun shining, no tickets, and just one with the universe.  Stayed a few nights in Sask, in the QuAppelle valley camping, listening to the coyotes and thinking about the ON ROV guys around the campfire last weekend at Trenton.  After a few days a laying back, I headed on up to the Reynolds Museum of Transportation in Alberta, where they had a terrific motorcycle exhibit including 100+ period bikes from the beginning to present day models.  There's also old vehicles and airplanes too, so I thoroughly enjoyed the time there.   Took the David Thompson Hwy thru Rocky Mountain House toward Lake Louise, where I had my only mechanical snafu -  no NightVision, I didn't have to go solar yet!!!  The throttle cable snapped off at the carb end.  Tried lockwire to jury-rig it, but ended up using my wife's handydandy leatherman tool (thanks Tiger!) and drove 220kms to Revelstoke one-handed, while I was holding onto the leatherman at the carb with the other hand.  My cornering left something to be desired, and it's not a trick  I would recommend, but hey, I got there ok.  Found a fellow who made me a new inner throttle cable, and I was back in business, just in time for the terrific BC roads ahead. 
Relaxed in the hot springs at Nakusp for a few days, and enjoyed camping in the municipal campground (where the BC Beemers held their rally the previous weekend).  This small town is beautiful, with majestic mountains surrounding the Arrow Lake.  While camping and contemplating the peace & serenity I watched a crow eating ants (I never knew they did that!) and then the silly bugger started flipping rocks over to get the bugs beneath!  Man I laughed!  Simple entertainment with no batteries!
I continued on to the Okanagan Valley via the Monashee Pass - lots of twisties, little traffic, and again, no tickets.  The bike was smooth and a joy to whip around even loaded with the krauser bags.  Visited with family and friends, then started back to Ontario.  Hit a bit of snow, hail, rain and wind on the way home, but it was still a terrific ride and can't wait for the next time.    10,000 kms on the 1983 vision I borrowed from Dorothy, and she still loves me! ;D
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lead_Deficiency

man you can put the miles on, 1000km 1st day  :o

good to see you made it. I was in BC last week on the sea to sky hiway, rented a (cover your ears) honda ST1300 (it was a nice bike for 2 up). I kinda wondered how you near.

Night Vision

long hauls indeed! After I saw Wolf's seat pad, I thought about one too. Glad the stator held up for you
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

don_vanecek

Wow, nice trip indeed!  A Vision is indeed a very nice and smooth long distance tourer.  I need to look into one of those sheep skin covers someday!

MotorPlow

Quote from: don_vanecek on September 06, 2006, 09:25:10 AM
Wow, nice trip indeed!  A Vision is indeed a very nice and smooth long distance tourer.  I need to look into one of those sheep skin covers someday!

I once saw a post on the internet on making your own cheap sheep skin seat covers from some sheep skin car wash mits from wal-mart. Just undo the stitching on 2 wash mits and sew 'em together. Not bad for $2.99 for each mit. Only problem is that I haven't found them in Wal-Mart yet.

Tiger

8) KENNY....SUPERB MATE  8)  ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;) A great way to clean the crap out of your "V"s motor....just what a Vision needs now and again...A bloody good long distance blast!!! "Sounds" like you had a ball ;) What next ???... East coast, Cape Breton maybe :o ;D :D ;). The sheepskin doesn't seem like a Baaaaaaa..d idea ;D ;D :D ;) (sorry!! ;D)

:o Motorplow....synthetic is baaaaa...d, you gotta get real sheepskin.... ::)

Pleased to know your home safe and sound and look forward to sharing stories, a beer (or two!!) around another campfire with the gang.

;D       TIGER        8)                 
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on September 06, 2006, 08:30:00 PM
The sheepskin doesn't seem like a Baaaaaaa..d idea ;D ;D :D ;) (sorry!! ;D)

oh brother............ Deja Vu of "date night in Wyoming"
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Mutt

Quote from: Night Vision on September 06, 2006, 08:50:07 PM

Yea and if anyone mentions a set of rubber boots............. :P

Mutt  :) "Not Mutton"
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Tiger

Quote from: Mutt on September 06, 2006, 09:13:18 PM

Yea and if anyone mentions a set of rubber boots............. :P

Mutt  :) "Not Mutton"

HeHeHeHeHeHe.....are yer sure ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

My mom is from Wyoming . . .     ;D  This kind of humor makes me maaaaaaaaad!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.