News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

SEROV "Over The Hill" run --Pics

Started by Lucky, September 10, 2006, 11:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

i'll be loading pics up soon, here's one to get you started, Dave & I enjoying a Woodchuck after the first run... ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:o Looks like the "Terrible Twins" are out-&-about in a nieghbor-hood near you,....maybe....... :o ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)
Good to see you "OLD" guy's having fun.......even with a small bottle... 8)

;D       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Pics are here, I suck at html, let me know if you can't see 'em
http://www.xz550.com/DG.htm

--Lucky

YellowJacket!

SEROV Over The Hill Run

Well, I survived it...both my 40th birthday and my first two runs at the Dragon.  One would think at first that I had a “guardian angel” riding along in the red pickup on the way up and the green pickup an the way down, but lucky swore it was the devil.  In any event, both drivers insisted that the maximum speed limit was not the slightest bit over 15 mph and closer to 5.  I did the whole run up in second gear and Yellowjacket ran a bit warm.  I was thinking about serendipity’s comment about when she rode the dragon and they had to go real slow and some of the scenery they noticed.  I was a bit more focused on Lucky’s brakelight and the road but I did notice some real pretty scenery particularly when we stopped at the Fontana Dam overlook on the way back down.  Man those boats down there were small.
It was really cool when we got to the Deals Gap resort.  There were hundreds of bikes up there and everyone was talking to each other regardless if they knew them or not.  We ate at the restaurant and saw the ROV t-shirt on the ceiling…right over the concession stand of course.  Took a peek at “The Tree of Shame” and saw that some guy died last year on his birthday which made me a bit more nervous since we had completed only half the trip.  I kept my eyes peeled looking for some visions up there but didn’t see any.  For those that don’t know, Lucky and my wife tried to get a bunch of the other ROV’rs from the area to get together but for one reason or another (good reasons) they weren’t able to make it.  We did see an 82 Maxim on the way back down though.  The guy had just bought it a few days earlier and was testing it out.  He was bragging that it had only 8000 miles on it and I just had to tell him that my 82 just hit 7000 on the way up the Dragon.  ;D
The ride back down was a little better.  We started out long after a few other groups left, so we were able to set a good pace.  We got a few miles down and ran up on the green pickup that was doing about 20 to 15 mph.  It caused a few other bikers to back up on us, but they pulled off to wait it out.  We finally stopped at the Fontana Dam overlook for a rest and to talk to some other bikers then got on our way home.
Lucky shot some pretty cool video of the ride which he is putting together and I’m sure will have posted.
Both visions did quite well.  We filled up before the run and I filled up again on the way home from Lucky’s.  I found a gas station with regular at $2.36 a gallon and put in just under 3 gals.  Total distance traveled was 178 miles and that worked out to just under 60 MPG!!
After a while we got together at my place and had a good ol’ family cookout and had a great time.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

zore

Woodchuck and motorcycling go hand in hand. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

MotorPlow

Oh how I wish I could have been there for the 3rd time around.
I am glad you had a good birthday Dave.
Is that facial hair I see on your chin?

Tiger

Quote from: MotorPlow on September 10, 2006, 09:12:07 PM

......Yer, from drinking woodchuck.... :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on September 10, 2006, 09:39:28 PM

Nahhh,   Just a combover.  ;D

David

Mutt

Quote from: DaveTN on September 10, 2006, 10:23:32 PM
Quote from: Tiger on September 10, 2006, 09:39:28 PM

Nahhh,   Just a combover.  ;D

David

Man, and I thougt my comb over looked bad! You guys look natural drinking those woodchucks! You may want to get that arm looked at Dave.  ::)

You mentioned stopping at the Fontana overlook. That's actually on the NC side of the gap. Did you mean the Candler Dam overlook?

Mutt

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

YellowJacket!

Quote: Man, and I thougt my comb over looked bad! You guys look natural drinking those woodchucks! You may want to get that arm looked at Dave. 

You mentioned stopping at the Fontana overlook. That's actually on the NC side of the gap. Did you mean the Candler Dam overlook?

Mutt

I was gripping my bars so tight that my arm permanently shrunk.   ::)

Yup, after reading the info on the site, it was the Candler Dam overlook.  I just heard someone there say it was the Fontana Dam, so I thought it was.  I guess I'm still a Dragon Newbie.  :D

Hey Tiger... The Canadian Invasion II takes place at the Gap starting Oct 9.  C'mon down for a good time!  I'll even hook you up with a room and garage for the bike.  ;D

David

Mutt

Quote from: DaveTN on September 10, 2006, 11:01:51 PM
Hey Tiger... The Canadian Invasion II takes place at the Gap starting Oct 9.  C'mon down for a good time!  I'll even hook you up with a room and garage for the bike.  ;D

David

I might have to make a run up there at that time to help defend the homeland!  :)

Mutt

Serendipity

Glad you guys had a good time! Dave and I really would have loved to have been there, but since we were just up there a couple months ago it just wasn't in the cards. But we will be back asap!!

Btw, Dave, I am loving the goattee!!! Tres' sexy!!  ;)
So is the facial hair a new requirement now for all (male) Visionaries?? LOL I actually convinced my Dave to trim his as he was starting to get the civil war general look going. When he was younger he had such a baby face he needed it as he was and still is younger then most of the guys who work under him...but he's not *that* young anymore.  ;D

Patti

YellowJacket!

I usually start growing one towards the end of the year.  My beard clippers gave up on me a few weeks ago so I'm trying out the "civil war" look or is it maybe ho chi min?  Ahh, idunno.  I'll just let it keep going until someone buys me a clipper.  ;D

David

Tiger

Quote from: DaveTN on September 10, 2006, 11:01:51 PM
David

Dave,
Thank's for the offer, however, I have my son, daughter-in-law and "new" grandaughter visiting from England then..... 8) First time we have seen each other in ten year's... :o....So I will take a rain check, for now  ;)

8)       TIGER        8)

Lucky

added some pics screenshoted from Zee Photo. (waiting for all the sites to upload b4 i decide which to buy)
http://www.xz550.com/DG.htm

Serendipity

(in reference to the 3rd pic of you guys running the Dragon) Wow Lucky! That's a mighty sexy pic of you and your V!! Me likey! Especially, the all black color scheme you got going on.

Patti

Lucky

Ok, I get it.. your trying to get Tailwheel up here to kick my ass & oh, might as well run the Gap since we're here anyway...

;)

you Must be looking at the wrong pic! lol

Mutt

Quote from: Lucky on September 12, 2006, 06:21:10 PM
Ok, I get it.. your trying to get Tailwheel up here to kick my ass & oh, might as well run the Gap since we're here anyway...

And of course that would bring the rest of us up there to watch it!

Mutt  :)

Lucky

Mutt

Quote from: Lucky on September 13, 2006, 06:50:15 AM
Your a true friend,  ;D

Someone has to be there to pick you up off the ground.....and put you back in the ring!  :)

Mutt