News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

long time vision owner first time here

Started by GT @ oh., September 10, 2006, 12:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

I bought 82 ( jva11hooxcao12859)3\82 back in 84 right out of high school. now only has 7800 miles.I'm just recently trying to resurrect,I coated inside of tank and fixed pin hole,carbs went dirty after long sit,had cleaned by dealer ($200 ouch) he got it running but, not quite right yet.bike starts and idles better than i ever remember but has bad bog out when throttle is dumped.Has breakup at different rpms when throttle is turned ,but not sitting, only when riding.? carb is probably still dirty but dealer guy says he gives up for now.I'll check flapper to see if its working next and replace air filter.                                                     Wish there was somebody knowlegdeable with this bike near toledo ohio so i could ride it to them and have them work on it for me.I have terrible luck when it comes to bike mechs.last time i had exhaust leak fixed mech left footpeg off and right was on left side went back but he claims he couldnt find ,so just bought replacement online. My bike still needs all those factory goofs fixed stator con,flywheel bolts ,starter seal,etc.I did redo fuse box and I do remember it heating up on occasions but not sure I like the manual switch method any other options?I would like to replace right front turn signal lens only (slight crack) and if someone could pass on how to get fairing and hard luggage assy aftermarket or other it sure would nice to have those for tripping.  Now that I know there are other Vision enthusiast here I'll be checking in often.Thanks Ron,Lucky,John,Others                                       

zore

does your air box have the flapper installed on it?  Mine did the exact same thing yours did when forced the flapper to stay open.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Paul_Jungnitsch

The signal lenses must have been used on a bunch of other models as they readily available at the dealer IIRC and cheap like borscht, 3 bucks.

A good site for part numbers, costs, diagrams here:

http://yamaha.dgy.com/parts.aspx

h2olawyer

welcome, GT @ oh!

The carbs on these bikes take a lot of fiddling to get right.  They must be spotlessly clean, adjusted just right & well synchronized.  If you haven't instealled a fuel filter yet, put one in ASAP.

Fairings for the Vision are kind of difficult to find - especially aftermarket.  You should keep an eye on eBay and other online auction sites, as well as the swap shop area of this site.  Look for an 83 style Vision fairing with brackets or a "Shark" or the rarer "Sport" style fairing.

I bought my V "new" in 84, too.  It sat for long periods a couple times.  It wasn't until I discovered this site that I got it out & started riding it a lot.  I learned about the carbs & how to fix the tank from this forum in the late 90s.  I admit to lurking for a long time before posting & in that lurk time, I read all the past posts.  You get a real good education of all things Vision by doing that.

I've put about 7,000 miles on mine in the last 5 years, and 4,000 of those in the last 2.  Not a lot of riding, but in Colorado, the riding season isn't as long as many other places.  I ride only for pleasure - no commuting.  Also, this summer, I've had to stay closer to home to tend to family matters so that put a big dent in my riding time.

Good Luck getting your V running better than new.  I know mine had the 4K RPM stumble the day I bought it & it took lots of tries before I found the right settings for mine to eliminate it.  Today, it is smoother & more powerful than the day it left the dealer (with under 10 miles on the odometer)!  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Hello and welcome to the best "Family" web site that is solely dedicated to the one and only XZ550 Vision..... 8)
With-out it a lot of our rides would be rotting away in dark corner's.... :'( sad and lonely.... :'( unloved.... :'(....However...every-one is here to help each other to get the very best from their "V"s. So again hello and welcome to your new and extended "Family"..... 8).
I think alot of your problem's stem from the fact that your mech' is ...errrr...ummm....less experienced when it comes to the "V"s carb's... ;) They need to be spotless and synch'd as h2o out-lined....to get the very best from them... 8) Lucky (our carb guru) and several other's will be of great assistance to you in carb matter's..... :o ;D ;D :D ;).....not my strong point ::)
I'm more of a parts guy....sort of ::) ;D Fairings and hard bags for a "V" are a bit like rocking horse s**t....but do become available from time to time...Watch the swap shop here and e-bay... ;)
My "V" was in storage for several year's when I bought her lasy July and I went thru' a lot of your issue's.....NOW...she's a real gem...my pride and joy...Thanks to, in the main, the ROV "Family"....ENJOY.... 8)

8)       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

d0n

welcome

$200 is a lot to pay for a carb rebuild and NOT have it 100% corect after the job.  :o

There are knowledgable guys here who can rebuild your carbs right the 1st time. Maybe they'll chime in if they need some extra $

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

Hey there GToh, don't feel too unlucky, very few mechanics will even approach the Vision.

Lucky says he's got time... that's an interesting offer (what Lucky, you're already done emptying all your moving boxes?!?!)  :D

Take your time, go after one trouble at a time, and eventually you'll enjoy that satisfying ride once again! Cheers

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic