News:

Main Menu

Winter Plans for the V

Started by haunter, September 11, 2006, 12:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haunter

Winter Plans?

I have a small maitenance schedule for the V this winter, its fairly, um, optimisitic  ;D

after riding the FZR for a week, I realized how bad the bike really needs new steering head bearings(the tapered are the best right?  how about the all balls??)

It needs a new front tire

and i will rebuild the master cylinder and the caliper, hopefully I will finish up the swap to full 83 brakes because she brakes like crap!  the front brake is randomly sticking now too that I am not riding her alot so the caliper(s) are getting rebuilt.

I would also love to send my spare side covers to my buddy for some semi gloss black powerdercoating and then swap covers

and would love to get an exhaust system on it thats custom made

I also am going to get a LEXAN cover for the headlight recess made, that I would LOVE to do in dark smoke for a clean look, and then add a (pair?) of PIAA off road use lights for real night riding as well under the headlight or liek motorplows, on the turn signal mounts.

the exhaust and side covers  and headlight stuff are possible but not obviosuly neccessary

anyone else got winter maintenance scheduled or have tips for my plans?

Also the FZR needs a R1 master cylinder, and may swap to an R1 rear brake/master cylinder.  I would also love to do a 520 sproket/chain conversion as the chain is 'OK' but would defintely benefit replacement this winter and the 520 swap doesnt really cost anymore anyways.
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

don_vanecek

Starter clutch bolts and whatever else needs to be looked at when I have that side cover off. Wish I had known about the other possible internal problems on that side when I changed the stator two years ago. My seat cover is really getting bad, need to tackle that problem also. Lots of performance mods I need to do that will most likley get passed by (springs, fork brace, brake line) because I'm going to make sure I have armored pants before the next riding season and my guess is that will take care of the amount of money I will have to spend.

Definition: Yamaha Vision; A type of motorcycle that will never by finished, hopefully the owner will always keep one step ahead of the varies problems that would keep the bike from being usuable! (at this point in time I seem to be succeeding in that the V is my daily commuter).

Hey, did we loose our spell check option????

Night Vision

I'm going to let mine REST  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

Well, right now my "bike" is the frame and engine.  All the rest of the parts are off the bike.  I hope to have all of those parts, or replacements, on the bike by Spring  :o

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

h2olawyer

I'm planning on an ambitious winter - two bikes to work on & both of them Vs!

On my original baby:
Install 83 tank, petcock & fuel gauge (have all parts except fuel sender)
Paint (Tank, Fairing & Plastics)  (need to take dent out of 83 tank & POR it) Paint will be done professionally
Progressive Fork Springs
Fix Exhaust Leak
Adjust Valves
Find & install 83 carbs?
Normal maintenance - oil & filter, brake fluid change, drain carbs, fog engine

On my recent acquisition:
Do a title replacement
Total tear down (engine is OK)
Remove Kreem tank liner & POR it
Stainless Brake Line
Bearings, seals & gaskets as needed
Fix Mac Exhaust system
Paint frame, tank & all plastics - will try to do this job myself
Rebuild as either highly modified street rider or track bike (cafe racer style - like louthepou's red rocket)
New Avon Tyres

Could be a busy off-season here!  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

And I'm right at the mileleage I better look at those starter clutch bolts (26000).

Oh, H2o, you just reminded me I need to POR my gas tank also, the KREEM is not looking too good anymore!

NewVisionGuy

Well,  unlike  H2O,   I don't  get an  off-season  ;)    I'm  riding  all year round.   Like the Usps (through rain, snow, sleet, or hail)    The  V  will  be parked though.   I'm  getting the R/R  (that I  forgot that I bought off ebay)  within the next week or so.  Hopefully I'll  get  her  running again this winter and then start  fixing the little things  as  $$$  permits

haunter

I would also love to remove the rear fender on the V as I hate how it looks

and an integrated tail on the FZR would be nice....

Night Vision

Quote from: haunter on September 11, 2006, 12:08:15 PM

after riding the FZR for a week, I realized how bad the bike really needs new steering head bearings(the tapered are the best right?  how about the all balls??)

It needs a new front tire

all balls are the only ones I've seen. Dennis Kirk or eBay. right around $40+sh

you probably need a new front tire because of the steering head bearings. without the roller bearings, your steering is constantly shaking rubber right off your front tire.

My bro put new Dunlops on his the spring..... front looks pretty worn, back isn't real great. He rides a passenger quite a bit (wifey). told him she might have run some rubber of the rear, but I really think the head bearings got the front.

guess who will be doing head bearings this winter?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

haunter

the front tire doesnt hold air that well unless its ridden daily, and its weather cracked really bad from sitting for years

Tiger

8)....After all the time and $$$ I sank into "The Mistress" the last off-season.... :o...(I enjoyed every minute and don't begrudge a penny that I spent on my pride and joy.... 8) )....I don't envisage doing tooooo much to her this off season. General maintenance....Oil / filter, air filter, rear drive oil, spark plug's, fill gas tank with fresh gas and fuel stabiliser, fog engine, drain carb's, etc, etc.
;)....Touch up paint chip's, head bearing's, wheel bearing's, new gas line and filter, wax polish, etc.......turn on junior battery tender, pull over the cover, turn off the light's....see you in the spring  :-*  8)
I have done over 2,000miles this year and my "V" has NEVER let me down....... 8)....LONG LIVE THE VISION  ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)

8)       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

what's "winter"?..(somewhere in a distant memory...)

"Oh yeah, we get winter here" the locals tell me, "Had damn near 3" a few years back. (which means 20 years ago) becha we're in for another bad one like that this year too!"

naw, that ain't winter mate, 2 blizzards, a week apart, dumping 3 feet of snow each, & a below freezing snap that lasts 5 weeks. THAT's winter!

Good riddence!  ;D
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

winter = too cold to bother gearing up just to ride 1 mile to work so I will cage it

Kevin

I'm mounting small saddlebags on Carlie's v now. I"m bothered that there is not enough clearance to raise the seat with the right bag mounted. I still have to mount the Tracy fairing on her bike and I want the pull the swing arm off and have it powercoated black, and polish out the hub. 

Prvi Vozac

New paint - black
Polishing
Voltmeter instalation
Electrics testing
Self made airbox construction and carb adjusting
Dynojet maybe
POR15 maybe
Seat repairing and modification
Handle ballast install
New rounded headlight or double one (maybe ugly?)

but we'll see how much money I'll have for this.

69shovel

luckily the winters aren't toooooo bad here. not to mention when i finally get mine running i won't care what the weather is like! i'll be grinnin' from ear to ear.
-Jay
69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

kiawrench

am going to ride the tires off of mine,
  no sense in not using perfectly good transportation, besides, i think i look good wrapped in everything i own - buzzing down the highway in a freezing rain ------

really, with my winter gear, riding all winter is not a problem here,, but then , i havent seen snow in almost three years now , lol
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

QBS

No one has mentioned the use of a Battery Tender Jr.  I guess ya'll really like messing with dead batterys when it's time for that first spring ride.

h2olawyer

Battery Tenders were a big subject a while ago - I have mine attached whenever I'm not out riding.  It's such a normal part of my routine I forgot to mention it.

It is an important enough subject to bring up regularly - Battery Tenders will save you from an annual battery purchase - use one religiously!

Thanks for the reminder, QBS!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.