News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Another Fried Stator

Started by h2olawyer, September 11, 2006, 06:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

At least it's not on my V this time.   ;D

Being the local stator diagnosis & replacement 'expert', I have been nominated to help a friend replace the stator in his 93 Venture Royale.  Hope we can get the stator & gaskets before Friday.  There's an annual fall color ride coming up on Saturday the 16th.  His wife says he must fix the Venture or neither of them will go.  He has a GTS available but she is uncomfortable riding on it.

Stators do die on other bikes & Ventures were well known for it early in their production.  They do better these days but it is still a common failure - even on the later models.  This Venture has over 110,000 miles on it & looks like it has less than 20K.  The previous (and original) owner said he put a stator in at around 60,000 miles.

Just glad mine is still working!  ;D (knocking on wood)  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

Well, so much for the 'improved' better insulated stator! A '93 Venture would have come with the improved stator.
Whale oil beef hooked!

NewVisionGuy

Well....   he  did  get  50K  out of that last one   ::)   Certainly  an  improvement over  2-5K

vavision

Quote from: BlueBass on September 12, 2006, 04:36:19 AM
Well....   he  did  get  50K  out of that last one   ::)   Certainly  an  improvement over  2-5K

Supposedly my new V has yet to need a stator (I'm second owner so I don't know) and it has 19k.

I don't know about the V I gave my brother but I put 15k on it from September of last year until This July with no problems.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

gbranche

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 11, 2006, 06:16:20 PM
He has a GTS available but she is uncomfortable riding on it.

You are welcome to pass along this bit of wisdom from a fellow GTS owner:

Once he installs a Corbin seat, he'll get no more complaints from the passenger section.

I put one on my GTS before my two-up trip to Frisco, CO three years ago, and haven't heard a complaint about the seat from my wife since then.

Greg

h2olawyer

He has a Corbin for the GTS.  He likes the stock seat much better for himself.  The Corbin is hard as a rock & he has no padding of his own.  His wife complains about her knees from the seating position, not her butt.  That's why he bought the Venture - to make her happy - and so he wouldn't be racking up too many miles on his GTS.  He can ride all day on the stock seat but only lasts a couple hours on the Corbin.  I was really surprised it didn't work well for him.

He found all the gaskets & stator.  Has them coming 2nd day air.  Should be here Thursday so we can get it done Thursday night.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.