Four days with dead Vision

Started by corwin, September 14, 2006, 06:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corwin

Anyone, who have had Vision long enough, can´t keep the hands clean. This week has been rather interesting to me, i have learned to know everything about starter, YICS and of course, the carbs. Well, perhaps not exactly everything :D

It was monday when i disassembled carbs and cleaned them (last times it was 3 month and 3500km ago and it did mircale), because the engine stumbled awfully. After reassemling the carbs i eagely waited to start the engine, turned it "On" and pushed the start button-- it did "CLICK" and nothing. For that not quite right noise of course i did "!!??" - damn selenoid was just clicking, so the starter have given up...  ??? And it was allready too late to mess with it on that day :-\

On Tuesday i took the starter off, but kept the nose in so i hadn`t let the oil out. The inside of the starter was pretty awful- it looked like it was last opened 10 years ago, lot of soot on commutator and small particles between starter parts. For sure the brushes didn`t get good contat with commutator. And one of the brushes was nearly worn out (6mm). I still carefully cleaned all the parts and tried to put it back together. Somehow i couped with that (somehow, because i messed up with gears, although it may seem to be impossible to you). The result of all that was the brushes really did work, but as there were little misunderstanding between the reduction gears where one should have been (later i understood that one of them had been slipped off the bolt) it came stuked. Best of all - i got leaking starter!

That was enough for me - if i was about to repair my starter i wanted to do that properly. I opened the crankcase - which is actually not neccessary  ;D and removed the starter nose. It took me two days to find a suitable oil seal, i got the size 20-35-7 which is actually allright, although the original was 5mm thick, there is enough room for the 7 and the upper edge came just even with the starter case collar. The old one (I even thought if it were ever replaced..) were worn indeed to 20,4mm and if my starter brushes-commutator werent too dirty i certanly would have ended up with starter full of oil in a month or two. As i wouldnt open the starter so soon i decided to change the worn out brush and luckily i found set of them - actually 4 brushes nearly in a right size for just a $5. So I made them littlebit shorter (from 18 to 13mm, original had to be 10, but the spring had enough length.. i hope that the stronger pressure wont matter) and chipped both sides from 7mm to the original 6mm. Is that how the rat bikes are born? :P Then i was finished with parts, put all together, greased the gears and work-surfaces and gave it 12V and plenty of ampers. It run perfectly! 8) Now there was only to set the starter back in its place, close the crankcase and make another check-- it was still working and cranking engine well! At last!

Somewhere in these days i made funny test with YICS. I suspected minor leak somewhere in it. So i took it off, removed the outer cover and hoses and... placed it in the water and covered one of the inlet/outlet with the thumb, to the another i let full 8at - that instantly found all the leaks and made a little gaiser in the water pot  ;D yes, one of the srews didn`t hold anything and let the air to be sucked in. I repaired it with heat resistane hermetic and asbest rope. i hope that will do  8)

(thaks for all of you for the posts here in this forum, i found them very useful :) )

Third-Year-Visionary

Corwin

louthepou

Don't spend too much time on the Vision, you don't want it to run perfect, do you?  ;)

Cheers

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

corwin

Sure i do! Actually, she is running perfectly now, after cleaning carbs and syncronizing. I´ve got rid of every stumble which i had, starts well too (even today at +3°C, only the cluch didn`t work well before i warmed the engine up  :D). How extraordinary  ;)

louthepou

Now THAT'S my kind of riding weather  :D

Good work buddy

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Walt_M.

Good job and don't worry about the clutch, it will be sticky after setting for a few days.
Whale oil beef hooked!