News:

Main Menu

Mutt Rides Again!!

Started by Mutt, October 03, 2006, 03:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutt

OK, if your bike isn't running right...simply rebuild your starter!!!  ::) I know it's not that easy but that's exactly what happened to me today. I've been working on finishing my starter all morning and finally got it done. The bike hasn't run in about 3 months now. Last time it ran was sometime in late June or July and it wasn't running too well then (carb issues). I bought an actual synchronizing tool so I could do the carbs after I finished the starter. It only took about 10 turns of the starter and it fired right up. It runs great with no hesitations! I may check the sync on it but if it's good....I'm not touching it!

Man these things are tempermental!!!

I'm going out and buying me a lottery ticket today! I think I'm going to skip school this evening and do a little riding instead  ;)

Mutt  :)

"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

zore

no kidding.  The temp drops from the usual summer temp to 40's and 50's and I lose 40 miles range or 10mpg.  I upped the jetting a little and it's back to normal, although today was in the 70's.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

Quote from: zore on October 03, 2006, 08:21:17 PM
no kidding.  The temp drops from the usual summer temp to 40's and 50's and I lose 40 miles range or 10mpg.  I upped the jetting a little and it's back to normal, although today was in the 70's.

Thats a good point zore.  I didn't know that.  I have notice that my fuel mileage has dropped off a bit form a high of neatly 60mpg on my Dragon trip to an avearage of about 40mpg currently.  I leave for work at about 6am and the temps have been in the 40's to 50's.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

69shovel

good to hear! whenever i get my nose cone milled out and a bushing pressed in my starter is going back in too...we'll see what happens after that. congratulations on the starter rebuild!!!
-jay
69 chevelle
98 suburban
82 vision

corwin

Quote from: Mutt on October 03, 2006, 03:08:01 PM
It only took about 10 turns of the starter and it fired right up.

... only 10 turns ;D One thing i´ve learned: you´ll never know, how well it will start, but eventually it does (or mostly). Sometimes it takes just one turn, sometimes 20 sec. - depending on temp., moist, state of carbs, fuel level and 100 billion other things.

glad to hear you`ve overcome the starter issue  :P

Corwin

Mutt

Quote from: corwin on October 04, 2006, 01:33:34 PM
Quote from: Mutt on October 03, 2006, 03:08:01 PM
It only took about 10 turns of the starter and it fired right up.

... only 10 turns ;D One thing i´ve learned: you´ll never know, how well it will start, but eventually it does (or mostly). Sometimes it takes just one turn, sometimes 20 sec. - depending on temp., moist, state of carbs, fuel level and 100 billion other things.

glad to hear you`ve overcome the starter issue  :P

Corwin

Well usually when it sits for 3 months, it'll take 100s of turns and possibly a recharge on the battery. That's what makes this whole starter deal freaky. Even when it's run on a regular basis it would make more turns!

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Night Vision

Quote from: DaveTN on October 03, 2006, 08:31:13 PM
Quote from: zore on October 03, 2006, 08:21:17 PM

Thats a good point zore.  I didn't know that.  I have notice that my fuel mileage has dropped off a bit form a high of neatly 60mpg on my Dragon trip to an avearage of about 40mpg currently.  I leave for work at about 6am and the temps have been in the 40's to 50's.

David

"winterrrrr blend" gas starts going around Mid-September
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano