New Vision Owner

Started by skaalster, October 10, 2006, 01:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skaalster

Good Day all from Victoria, BC Canada, Just a quick post to say hi to all in this fine forum. I am the proud owner of a 83 Vision I just purchased from ROV member "jefferys" from Portland Oregon. Thanks Bill for you efforts in driving it up to Canada for me!! Hope you can come back and stay a little longer next time!
This is truely an amazing forum and community you all have here and I can't wait to get started on another Vision project purchased locally that I have waiting in the sidelines. The Vision is an outstanding bike, ahead of it's time some say and I can remember as a teenager always wanting one......and now I have two....well...one and a Half?!
I'm off to sea with the Canadian Navy (I'm a Weapons Technician) for the next 2 and half months but hopefully I can maintain some sort of communication with this site as I have soooo many questions about getting my other "problem child" up and running. Happy riding!!!
-Dan Skaalrud

h2olawyer

Hello & Welcome, Dan!

Glad you found the forum & have 2 of these great bikes to enjoy!  Sounds like you'll be getting back home with plenty of time to work on your problem child before riding season begins next Spring.  (Or is it not until Summer up there?)   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Hi Dan,
Hello and welcome to your new and extended "Family". This is the ONLY place to be for any-one that owns an XZ550RJ/RK Vision. We are always pleased to see a "V" return with a new owner ..... ;D ;D ;D... ;).
We have a couple of member's over on the western side of Canada and I'm sure we have some not to far from the border, on th U.S. side.
What-ever you need, help, advice, part(s), etc, just "post" it... 8).
Again, welcome to the R.O.V.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

skaalster

Well it looks like I can access this site while at sea....Thanks for the welcome!!
My other Vision is a 83 that I purchased locally for 150$...it had no paperwork with it and the previous owner said that 8 years ago after he bought it he tried to jump it with a car battery...heard a "pop sound" and then nothing...there it sat until I cane along. I figured that it sounded like something I could tackle. I quickly found that the R/R was shorted at the connector, removed it and bought a new battery (other was completely dried up). just for chuckles I installed the new battery and gave the ignition a try....with 8 year old gas in the tank it flashed up....WOW! (how come my weedeater/lawnmower won't do that after a single year!?)I have fiddled with and given the carbs a visual cleaning..nothing dissasembled though and it idles fairly well with no load but boggs down very fast when put in gear. The plug wires I found were bad as they were visually shorting to the block. Can you buy the plug wires/conectors fairly cheaply? I am used to the solid kind found in autos...I didn't realize that the wires and connectors were separate and screwed together on motorcycles. the problem is in the  plug connector on the engine side..The inside resistor? and springs inside are very corroded and almost off the scale for resistance.
I have bought a couple of carb repair kits from eBay to do an overhaul as I'm sure they will need it. I believe this bike is a european or Japanese only model as it only has Kilometers on the speedo, no MPH. That might explain why there is no paperwork for it. It is identical to the one on the home page of this Site, decals and all...slightly different foot pegs and tailight look.
It has a front fairing but the bottom pieces are missing...does anyone have a set for sale?

Superfly

Welcome.

The caps & wires can be bought at any local motorcycle shop, and they are pretty cheap.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.