News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

...done it, again!!!...Up-date...

Started by Tiger, October 14, 2006, 12:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) UP_DATE... ;)
Removed the front and rear wheel's and replaced them with a complete spare set, (8 year old tire's, no,no,no!!)...re-install rear brake rod, etc, (yes, I replaced the two bolt's/nut's!!!). Sure makes it easier to move her around the garage with tire's that hold air... ;)
Replaced the starter motor "O" ring, (outer), and re-installed it, replaced the existing mounting bolt's and starter cable nut/washer with new one's. Drained off the oil that was still left in the motor and replaced the oil drain bolt with one from a spare rear drive shaft unit, (it has a magnetic insert). fill with fresh oil.
Pulled all the original fuse's to check them...start to put them back and... ::) YEP...snap 1, snap 2...Ah S**T...Rip out original fuse box and replace with four new, seperate, in-line A.T.O. fuse's... ;)

Pulled the gas tank and rinsed out...old gas sure does stink... ::). Re-installed the tank (loose) , connected the vac' line and fuel line, (with a filter) and tried to fire her up...nothing doing. remove the tank. Pour a wee bit of gas into carb's, switch on, press starter...chug, chug, fart, belch, etc, several times and she fired up!!! With no exhaust "ITS KINDA LOUD"...OOOOp's sorry for shouting!!!
Pulled the carb's and took the top's off...eeeewweee...in the bottom of the float chamber's there was a thick sticky, mess of varnish. I couldn't varnish my hardwood floor's that thick!!! Drop them in the dip tank for a good soak... ::) Think thats enough for to-day... ;D ;D :D ;)
There is a loooooong way to go before this girl will see the road again...Ah well, we Canadian's have a long off season... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiger on October 29, 2006, 07:29:46 PM
(yes, I replaced the two bolt's/nut's!!!)

Did you replace (with new) the cotter pin on both sides?  ;D

Tiger

Quote from: Vision Rising on October 29, 2006, 09:56:40 PM
Quote from: Tiger on October 29, 2006, 07:29:46 PM
(yes, I replaced the two bolt's/nut's!!!)

Did you replace (with new) the cotter pin on both sides?  ;D

...No, I used all-steel lock nut's...(I sell, among other product's, hardware for a living!!!).
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

:) Decided to do a wee bit more to her to-day....Removed the rad with the fan and back flushed the whole cooling system, cleaned electrical contact's, fan, temp gauge, etc.
The only thing left of the exhaust was the front pipe and the "Y" pipe at the rear. The "Y" just dropped out when I grabbed hold of it... ;D
However, the front pipe was a "shit, I wish I hadn't started this to-day" thing...The head's on the four soc' head cap screw's where ALL rounded out... >:( So, I got out the trusty old angle grinder and a .035" cut off disc, cut the pipe's off as close to the head as possible and cut the head's off the offending screw's, removed the exhaust flange's and exhaust pipe stump's. I soaked the four "stud's" in penetrating fluid and left for a wee while to do its work. I set about them with a set of vise grips. The first one snapped off clean at the head...as did the second.....and third... :o >:( Soooo, I used the angle grinder to remove the forth and smooth off the first three. Once that was done I drilled and tapped the head ready for the "New" MAC system...(Thanks Louthipou)...which is presently at a buddies shop being bead blasted, inside and out. I will repaint with a high heat, manifold paint and repack the system before installing.
I've had the carb's off and cleaned in the parts washer but obviously not well enough. So I have removed and stripped down, ready to be dipped to-morrow... ;D
"Washed" the whole motor down with brake and parts cleaner to remove the general oil and crap as well as the swarf from drilling and tapping.
Flushed out most of the crud from the overflow bottle.......then put it into the dishwasher when the wife wasn't looking  :o  ;)  ;D ;D ;D :D :D... ;)
Took the old air filter and removed the "base plate" , the part that sits on the base of the air box, discarded the rest, cleaned with brake and parts cleaner, gave it a coat of RTV silicone (red) and installed an automotive Fram #3903 pleated air filter, (as posted by Q.B.S.) Left completed NEW air filter on a shelf, with a book on top, to cure.
Finally, before I put the tool's away and do a tidy-up, I installed a backrest, which I had removed off of "The Mistress".......Still a long way to go...will keep you all posted... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

Welcome to the "if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....." club

I just know if I got myself one of those angle grinders, I'd get myself in trouble.
without one, I have to come up with alternative ways to butcher things.

glad to hear you're progressing on "project panther" ... 

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

matrixa850

hey, your taking your time getting this one done then tiger, phew. I might clean my carbs, er, feb 2007 if your lucky
lazt brit

Tiger

Quote from: matrixa850 on November 26, 2006, 05:30:09 AM
hey, your taking your time getting this one done then tiger, phew. I might clean my carbs, er, feb 2007 if your lucky
lazy brit

:) IF I'm lucky, I may have one last weekend ride before we get into "to cold to ride untill spring weather".......by which time I need to have the snowmobile serviced, polished and all ready to "Rock 'n Roll". When the snows are down, we have twice as many km's of snowmobile trail's as roads, here in Ontario... :o

Sooooo, "The Black Panther" winter project is just that...A noooooo hurry project... ;)

"The Mistress" will have to be "winterized"...Drain oil's and refill, Run fogging oil thru the carb's and drain them, fogging oil into the two cylinder's via the spark plug hole's, fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and fill with fresh gas, replace in-line fuel filter, extra air in the tires, clean, polish, give her a goodnight kiss and slap her ass before putting the cover over her till spring time... ;D :D ;) She has a nice wee spot in the corner of my garage... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) I decided to completely strip and dip the carb's this time around, no sense in a half baked job...again  ::). (This "V" has sat for over eight year's!!!)

Now, this is the first time I have taken down a set of Vision carb's... :P

Once seperated, I did one carb at a time, therefore having one complete for reference, if required... ;) The only thing that was a positive from my previous carb clean, using an aerosol carb cleaner, was that I had gas in the float chamber's... ::)
The pilot jet located behind the pilot jet plug on the bottom of these carb's, which generally gets overlooked, was plugged solid...on BOTH unit's, as was the main jet's, (left side of carb's behind main jet plug's)...you couldn't see daylight thru' any of them... :o
Anyhow, after stripping out the unit, jet's, starter plunger, inlet needle/body, etc, etc, I dipped them for a couple of hour's. In the mean time I cleaned all the various component's ready for reassembly. Once out of the solution, I rinsed them off and blew them dry, (pleased I have a compressor!!!), making sure air was coming out of all the various passageway's, re-built and went thru the whole process with the other carb.
Now they are cleaned and ready for installation back on the "V".......Since I haven't ridden for a couple of week's and given we had a 56f day...I decided to blow the cobweb's off of "The Mistress" and me...but that is another story for a different part of the forum... ;D  :D  :D....... :).

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Well, at the week-end I got the MAC system back from being blasted. I have given them a few coat's of high heat paint...matt black...looking real nice... 8) . Repacked the muffler's with wire/steel  wool and installed the front down pipe.
Pulled the coil's, installed new wire and plug cap's as well as new spark plug's. Yes, I cleaned the ground wire ring terminal and the frame before re-installation... ::)
Also re-installed the radiator but have to hook up the hoses.
Removed and cleaned the rubber carb intake manifolds and gave them a couple of coat's of liquid electrical tape...looking good. Re-installed them and the Carb's, which are all nice and clean, inside and out... ;) , back on the "V".
I hope to get her fired up this coming week-end...The "V", that is... ;D :D ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

8) She lives, shes alive... 8) Hooya baby... ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D...After another failed attempt to get her going, off came the carb's again...it is amazing how they get so plugged up, but eight year's in storage with-out being put away properly to start with... ::) only serves to remind me why I paid so little for her ;D ;D :D :D :D
Anyhow, with the carb's completely redone and re-installed to-day, (and without any exhaust), I decided to give the old girl a try...put the petcock on to  the central prime position for 5 minutes, choke set, ignition on and give the starter a push...chug, chug, chug and bam...SHE FIRED UP...SORRY, HAVE TO SHOUT, AS i THINK i MENTIONED THERE ISNT AN EXHAUST ATTACHED, AS YET... :o Phew, thats better... 8) With the help of the stethoscope I was able to hear no bad/strange noises emanating from the motor.
I pulled all of the light bulb's, cleaned the holder's and replaced all the bulb's with new one's, after first putting on some dielectric grease, nice when you work for a company that supplies the trade's ;D :D :D...did a few more wee job's...fired her up again, right off the button this time and put her to bed. Quick tidy of the garage and time for a shower and some supper. So here I am, still grinning, as I up-date this thread.......Won't be long now before she is ready for a new home and I can then bring home the '83... ::) just when you think your out, they pull you back in... ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Were getting there...Slow but sure... ;) "New" MAC exhaust system, (Thank-you louthepou), which I had sand blasted, inside and out, has been re-painted with several coat's of high heat black, re-packed and installed. Sounds really nice... 8)

Newly renovated Carb's, (Thank-you CanadianLouie), seem to be working fine, but will need a final tune... ;)

R/R moved to rear foot rest and hard wired in...FYI...I use a butt type connector. However, the type I use are a "NO CRIMP" product.They have a solder pellet ring in a heat shrink tube, which is coated (internally) in an adhesive. Simply bare wire end's to be connected, slide conn' over wire and past the bare wire's, mesh the joint, slide back conn' and apply heat to heat shrink, which, as it shrinks will adhere to the wire and give you a moisture proof joint, now apply heat to solder ring which melts right onto/into the joint, let it cool for a minute and your done. Solder and moisture proof heat shrink all in one. (Another one of my product line's... 8)).

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Decided to remove and clean the front brake caliper to-day... ::) The piston decided it wanted to stay home, where it has slept for so many year's ;D :D :D :D... ;) However, hibernation is over and now its time for the brake's to go to work ;D :D :D :D :D I stripped everything down and dropped into the part's washer while I removed the piston from the caliper...Not an easy task and having decided on compressed air, NOT a job for the faint hearted!!! I placed the caliper on my workbench, piston facing downward ::) and with a bolt in the "banjo" hole and the bleednipple removed blew air into the unit, keeping my hand firmly on top of the caliper. I kept slowly increasing the airpressure regulator to the point where the piston, with the aid of some soft soap mixed with hot water, began to move...and eventually pop out. I washed and cleaned every thing in my part's washer, dried down with compressed air and re-built the caliper ready for installation and bleeding.
The rubber boot's for the slider's are in great condition and therefore re-used in the re-build...slider's lubricated, piston checked out O.K. and re-installed using a smear of fresh brake fluid to aid installation...Tidy up the garage, put a cover over the "V", light's out...time to get cleaned up and get ready for my wifes birthday party :o seeing how company has started arriving...PARTY TIME ;D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

8) Latest picture's are in the "going riding" section under "Black Panther is ready to go riding" , please have a look... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

Well, after a wee bit of time, patience, a combination of new and used part's "The Black Panther" winter project is ready to choose a new riding partner/home... 8) I have a guy coming to view her to-morrow (Saturday)... ;)

Work done...(in no particular order).

:) Carb's cleaned and rebuilt. (Thank-you CanadianLou).
:) Intake boot's removed, cleaned and seal coated with liquid electrical tape.
:) Gas tank flushed out.
:) New gas line.
:) New in-line gas filter.
:) Install new vacuum line's.
:) Install new air filter.
:) New plugs, cap's & wire's.
:) New style blade fuse's/holder's installed, including the one in the headlight for the fan!!!
:) All the light bulb's have been replaced (and smeared withdielectric grease).
:) Installed a MAC exhaust system...used, but I had it sandblasted and re-painted with high heat manifold paint and repacked the baffles...sound's really nice!!! (Thank-you Louthipou).
:) Installed new exhaust gasket's
:) Drain and refill rear drive system oil.
:) Drain and refill engine oil and replace oil filter.
:) Drain, flush and refill coolant system...(long life coolant).
:) Replaced starter oil seal "O" ring.
:) Rear brake stabilizer bar bolt's replaced.
:) Rear brake removed, cleaned, checked and re-installed.
:) Remove, strip and rebuild front brake. flush brake line's. Re-install caliper and bleed system.
:) Install new front brake pad's.
:) Install new handle bar grip's...(foam type).
:) Install engine crash bar's. (Thank-you Brian_Mathewson).
:) Install back rest.(Off of "The Mistress).
:) Install "new" tire's (used).
:) Replaced front footrest rubber's.
:) Replace one indicator lens, which was cracked.
:) Hardwire stator wire's.
:) Move R/R to rear foot rest.
:) Removed and replaced some of the fastener's...Front fender, headlight bezel, gas tank hold down, Front axle pinch bolt and cotter pin, rear axle cotter pin, etc, etc.

...Typing finger is getting sore !!!

Summary...
The "V" is a 1982 which was parked up in the previous owners garage for several year's. The over-all condition is good. I have not done anything with the paintwork, which, again, is in decent condition but does have a few minor scratches...which you would expect of any 25 year old vehicle, but nothing bad. There is a small split in the seat on one of the seam's. As far as I can ascertain, the "V" does not look as if she has sustained any kind of accident/crash damage. Everything appears "Straight". As you can see by the above list, I have put a fair amount into her to get her ready for a new home. The only thing she will need, as far as I am aware, is a new battery. She starts right off the button and sounds really good. The mileage...23256 Km's...or...14,535 miles and has a clear title.

Quote from: Tiger on March 08, 2007, 04:36:57 PM
8) Latest picture's are in the "going riding" section under "Black Panther is ready to go riding" , please have a look... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Walt_M.

Now you can get to work on that '83! That will be one sweet ride when you are done.
Whale oil beef hooked!

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Tiger

Quote from: haunter on March 16, 2007, 05:51:35 PM
thats ALOT of work!

:)...Believe me when I tell you that I put allot more time, effort, part's and money into "The Mistress"...If the wife knew how much... ::) Bugger, can't afford ANOTHER divorce... :o The funny thing is it was much easier and quicker the second time, so the '83 should be ready by...last week ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)