News:

Main Menu

Still that stumble

Started by o_0_hell_0_o, October 16, 2006, 01:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

o_0_hell_0_o

First off... Hello.
New to the forum. I have been looking up allot of info on the net about the 82 vision.
And happen to stumble upon Lucky's site. In turn... found this site.
WOW... I'm not alone!
I'm in Northern California... I have owned an 82 for 3 years now. And like i have read from allot of posts in the forum...it seams I am not the only one with a machine that likes to be tinkered with.  ;D
I am in no way a mechanic... but more of a "Jack of All Trades... and a master of none.
I took my machine in once to a local shop for a sync job... but it really came back running the same way as when i dropped it off.
So I was never really impressed much with it
After checking out a few posts here and reading Lucky's page.. I discovered quite a few thing.
I thought my 82 always ran... well just OK.. and thought that is how it really runs... and no wonder they aren't popular
After reading all the symptoms everyone talks about i decided to check a few thing
Mine idled rough "hunted between 1000-3000.
Lucky's YICS Diag & Repair... well after reading that and posts about it... i checked mine... Yup it leaked internally
Followed the directions of cutting it in 1/2 etc... idles ALLOT smoother now
Also synced the carbs with a vacuum gauge. Also off of Lucky's page " just didn't know about restricting the amount of vacuum"
Mine is just a plain vacuum gauge with dripline hose connected to a "T" and then both goto the vacuum lines." dripline hose fits perfectly snug inside the vacuum tubes..hehe "fold over the vacuum on the front line and get the reading ... then restrict enough to get a reading that doesn't fluctuate much for a starter point, and sync the front  by reversing the process. Then unfold them both and just restrict both and adjust the rod to the center.
WOW... Now allot more power. and that was after only 300 miles on the sync the shop did.
There are shut-off valves for dripline. I think I'm going to buy 2 identical gauges and the valves and make one so i don't have to go back and forth. Then set up and syncing should only take seconds.

Also the REAR BRAKE BRACE BAR BOLTS... Yup rusted almost through ..THANKS!!!

I am learning how to cast pour aluminum though "lost foam casting"... and I,m thinking about casting a YICS out of aluminum.
Doing it in 2 pieces.. but for use with rubber O-rings to seal the interior and exterior.
You think it would work? Will aluminum effect the engine?
Does the inner area need to be specific volume? Has any one tried with different volumes of chambers?
I guess I could even cast it with the Yamaha cover that has the crappy fake chrome on unit itself.
I have a duplicator to cut an exact replica.

anyways... I'm rambling..
My problem is... I still have hesitation if you do a quick twist of the throttle.. from idle to anywhere around 1500 RPM's
while riding
Any Advise?

BTW... glad to find you guys!
|~| ell

h2olawyer

Hello o_O_Hello_O_o -  (is there an echo in here?)

Glad you found us - welcome!

The quick twist stumble was the most difficult thing for me to eliminate.  Actually, it still will stumble once in a while when I crack it open.  I generally roll on the throttle to compensate but I can roll it on pretty quick without any problems so it's not a big deal.  Getting the carbs spotlessly clean & making sure they are properly adjusted & synched will get rid of the problem.

For synching the carbs, I use & highly recommend the $4 manometer as Lucky has a digram posted on his site - look in the "Vision Artwork & Images" link.  Very simple to make & use, and very accurate as well.

We've been discussing the benefits / disadvantages of the YICS quite a bit.  There is a very recent active thread & a search of the forum should bring up quite a few earlier posts.  There have been some made from hot sauce bottles & others with copper cylinders.  Somewhere in those discussions is the volume of each chamber - in case you want to go ahead with your aluminum YICS replacement.

Glad you got to those brake bolts before they got to you!

Hope the info helps.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

Hello there o hel o,

Welcome!

Re. aluminum casting - best way to make a good first impression... is to come up with a bold plan like that one!

I can't see why an Al YICS couldn't work. That'd be an interesting mod, nad I bet a few of us would want to try it.

Cheers!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

Hello Oohelloo,
(ook, wwee aaree aalll hhavingg ffunn wwithh yyourr nnamee, or else I stutter...)

The the volume of the YICS (pronounced "YIKES!") chambers are importaint, they have been reserched by other members previously, so do a search...

i've always thought the reason they were plastic is so the can kind of 'breath', expand & contract with the pulses they recieve, to help them scavenge & inject the intake charge, so choice of materials may be importaint.  a couple of guys here have used other materials, such as copper, so i could be wrong on this, but i think it makes a difference...

what exactly is a duplicator (is that like a science fiction 'replicator'? Does George Jetson have one??  ;D )  i'd be interested to learn more about it (got a pic or model number to google?)

opens up a world of possabilities in my wild imagination...finned oil filter covers, left engine covers with chanels to carry cooling oil for the stator, custom rearsets, or at least shiney new covers for our YICS's...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dminor

O hell,
  The stumble is caused by a combination. First cap off the YICS To take it out of the system.Then try it .If te problem is stiil there, then you have to adjust the accelleater pump linkage, (take notes,to keep track). Adjust the linkage shorter first,then shorter,if no change or problem is worse, go longer then try it out between adjustments, should fix your problem.
  By the way are all your jets in the right place? If not start there.

Don

o_0_hell_0_o

just Hell works....lol

Duplicators
is really used to duplicate a 3D object into wood.
So it makes great for doing it into foam for casting
$$$$ http://www.wood-carver.com/
a home made one   http://www.mykaguitars.com/tools/carver/default.htm
one with plans   http://www.copycarver.com/index.htm
ebay  http://cgi.ebay.com/GUN-STOCK-CARVING-DUPLICATOR-Makes-a-copy-in-an-Hour_W0QQitemZ140042804086QQihZ004QQcategoryZ73951QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mine is basicly the same principal
but mine will take either a dremel or a router... depending on the detail i want and the size of the project

Some links on lost foam casting
I kinda followed how he did his with good success
http://www.buildyouridea.com/cnc/hblb/hblb.html
http://www.buildyouridea.com/foundry/lost_foam_howto/lost_foam_howto.html
here is another going through the motions
http://www.theworkshop.ca/casting/casting.htm

just duplicate ..or cut out a piece you want in foam... check out those links, and pour your own part
first one i did was a replacement clutch handle... mine broke while testing gravel in a corner.
worked good till i was teaching my boy to ride... he found a tree and nocked the last 2 inches off of it.
its been workin fine tho so i havnt re-done one

All this may be too much of a hassle... but i like to learn new things..
hence " jack of all trades...

|~| ell

kiawrench

lol,,, i heard of duplicators,, sort of a really ,really fancy router set up,,, makes copies of almost anything in wood, plaster and hard shell foam. but you can also use it with Al - just has to be soft stock, and use carbide burrs to do the work. but remember, the work will now be done so slow you may not notice it for a while,, but it will cut,just a  lot slower.

The chamber size is important, too little it is of no use , too much and it is just as bad as a leak.
  maybe the correct repair of your yics is the ticket there, but you can make covers any way you chose to,, my cover is just a thin sheet of metal , genlty worked into a nice cylinders, around two very small Al hot sauce bottles, ,and bolted under lip of tank. been working over a year now with no trouble.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

I used to own a Dupli-Carver.  (A duplicating router set-up.)  It was a great tool but it took up lots of room & I rarely used it so I figured a professional woodworking shop could put it to the use it deserved.  It had supports to work on projects as big as doors.  Thought about making custom carved doors for the high end housing market but I have no aptitude for making the original artwork.  Could have sold quite a few to some of the fine homes at many of the ski areas.

Never even thought about using it for making motorcycle parts . . .  ::)

YICS experimentation could be an interesting pastime.  Keep us informed of any progress!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

We have an old Key cutting machine at work i've been eyeing,that would be perfect for small parts (say for instance copying a valve, just as an example)  if the clamps for the keys could be substituted with small lathe type chucks that would move back & fourth & slowly turn, that would work....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

o_0_hell_0_o

Key Cutter... seams to me... the problem would be the wheel that cuts the key
wouldn't give you a way to cut in the other directions... so you could only make rounded objects.
the clamps/chucks would need to move exactly the same in every direction at the same time
They would not only have to go side to side, and rotate around... but also up and down
It would be hard if not impossible to even make like a Oil Filter Housing Cover.
1. how would you get the cutting wheel to do the inside of the housing.
2. something needing precision... all 3 dimesions X, Y, Z... have to be exact
and manually re-adjusting for every cut doesn't work
3. the size of the cutting wheel would make it impossible to cut a groove horizontally
4. Would work great for making symmetrical objects like valves tho
|~| ell