News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Cottonwood Road to Cherry Lake

Started by VisionMeister, September 24, 2012, 01:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionMeister

I rode in to Cherry Lake saturday morning for the second time in the last two weeks.
This lake is just north of the Yosemite Park boundary.
The road had fallen into disrepair in the last few years but, has gotten a substantial makeover this year. It's 30 miles in from Tuolumne City, Ca., at which point I turned around and rode back out.
The sweepers are amazing, of the nature that you come back around and meet yourself. Very entertaining.
There is vey little traffic as I saw one truck with boat trailer and one car.
I don't know why they post a sign for two miles of turns since the entire road is twisty. Maybe, because that area is a down grade.
The road still has its imperfections with some rocks in the more rugged canyon areas but is still a blast to ride.
It made a great gettaway from all the flocks of Harleys goint to Reno for Street Vibrations.

fret not

Anytime after May that road has a variety of wild flowers along the roadway, and views that can distract you from the road.  It goes along a canyon edge, along a ridge, and swoops into a valley as it connects to HWY 120.  There are some steep drops along parts, so you would want to pay attention to staying on the road.  I haven't seen a lot of wildlife along there but there are occasional deer, bears, and big cats.  Keep your eyes open, there is lots to see.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

supervision

Nice pictures their Meister, that place has been one of our favorites for years!  Back in the early seventies the road was new and you could see for ever, due to lack of trees,  now the trees have grown, road has aged, still good place to lean em over, and gas it. Hard to believe, we have been going riding 40 years.  Sorry I didn't make that one. 
" border="0

VisionMeister

Here's some photos from1979 I scanned.
That's my old xs750, Dwight's 500 Kawa, Lance Martinez's 750 Honda, John Ostlund's BMW, and Roger Harold's CBX.
Notice all the protective gear.

Thanks to the Adminstrator for making posting so much easier.

Rikugun

Awww, that's too bad. Something's wrong with the CBX - there is copious amounts of blue smoke emanating from the rear tire. Everyone has their Kevlar T shirts and full face helmets on I see..... 

Beautiful scenery BTW!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

That's a nice clean XL350, but then its only a couple of years old!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

calipanda

wow what a beautiful ride that must have been. I love yosemite let me know if you ever go for that ride again!