Riding Season Over?

Started by h2olawyer, October 17, 2006, 04:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Looks like the riding season is about over here.  We're currently getting some snow in town.  About an inch on the grassy areas & roads are just wet - so far.  Supposed to snow into tomorrow.  There will be some nice, warm days well into November, but the sand spread on my favorite roads, makes for less than ideal riding conditions.  Also, the shady corners will hold onto ice for many days after a storm - even if the temps get back up into the 60s.  Not going to put the V to bed just yet, but I doubt I'll get very many more miles on her this year.  Even though I'll miss riding, this year has been so dry that any moisture is welcome & we could use a good, snowy Winter here.  Haven't had one of those for a while.

Two ski areas opened last weekend - Arapaho Basin & Loveland Basin are both open with one run each.  A-Basin has part of its terrain park available as well (for those who insist on hurting themselves).  I'll wait until there's more coverage (so the rocks don't tear up my skis) and more runs available before I get out this year.

Last year, I made a ride over Cameron Pass (10,000+ft.) on November 3 & there was very little snow.  When I went over it at the end of September, there was already 18 inches.  (more where the plows had cleared it off to the edge of the road)  I've already chronicled my two other late Summer (?) '06 motorcycle adventures in snowstorms.  Looks like an early start to Winter this year.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

67GTO

" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

h2olawyer

How about a 2 wheel drive Ural + Sidecar?   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:(...First snows last week...rain all this week...maybe its that time of year... :'( :'(...
Suppose I better get the snowmobile serviced and ready to roll...Ahhhh, that smell of two stroke..... 8) Hmmmm, snowmobile show this week-end...well, I know where I'm goin' to spend Saturday... ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D... 8)...Does this make me a snow tiger..... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dminor

H2O,
   Sorry to see all the snow.
   I'll take the Vision out in December and let you know how it is to ride in the winter.
    SoCal- does not have winter, just summer, rainy season ( 13 or 14 days), and brush fire season.
    Keep the battery charged, spring will be here before you know it.
Don ;)

Mutt

Quote from: dminor on October 18, 2006, 07:44:37 AM
H2O,
   Sorry to see all the snow.
   I'll take the Vision out in December and let you know how it is to ride in the winter.
    SoCal- does not have winter, just summer, rainy season ( 13 or 14 days), and brush fire season.
    Keep the battery charged, spring will be here before you know it.
Don ;)

I miss the SoCal riding. No bugs, almost always sunny. However, I don't miss the first rain of the season. Roads are like ice and no one slows down. Lots of accidents. It's like the first black ice here in NC.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

haunter

wish I could come visit!  I love a-basin!  and my favorite shirt was from there and it got burned in an apt fire, I need a replacement  ;D
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Brian Moffet

I hope to take my Vision out for a ride in December as well, I'll think of you.

Brian

d0n

We're still flirting with the mid 60's here in upstate NY. There's a few weeks of  comfortable riding left. Then, it's time to bundle up and ride some more!  ;)

h2olawyer

Not to worry - I have plenty of Vision projects to keep me busy for a long time!   ;D  But those of you who can ride almost every day during the winter do have it good.  I'm just glad I love skiing so much that I won't totally miss the 2 wheel excitement.

V1 is slated for a full repaint & V2 needs lots of work - stator, seat cover, tear down, cleanup, paint, reassemble, tires, brake rebuild, new master cyl. sight glass, turn signals, rear fender, title straightened out.  That's just the preliminary list.

The snow will melt & like I wrote above - there will be a few more warm days this fall.  If it's like last year, I may be able to go for Christmas & New Year's Day rides.  Not all of Colorado is covered in snow from October through May!  Not uncommon to have some 50 - 60 (F) days on & off through the winter on this side of the mountains.  It's just the copious quantities of sand applied to keep the cages from sliding off the roads - that stuff is tenacious & hangs around into May.   :(

dminor -  I spent 3 years in San Diego for law school.  Remember the weather well.  The "rain" was more like a heavy mist.  With even a gentle breeze, an umbrella is useless in that stuff.  Never had my V out there for school, though.  The road out to Julian sure looked like it would be a fun ride.  Wasn't bad in my old Toyota 4x4 pickup.

Stay Warm!

H2O

dminor

H2O,
  Was on the Julian road yesterday. A lot of fun until I hit a wild turkey doing 95mph. The turkey just skipped  off the front wheel, no damage to my bike. After that no more than 65.
   I was on my beemer, if it had been on the Vision, I would have been road kill.
Don ;)

h2olawyer

Glad things were only bad for the turkey!  That thing would have folded the spindly V forks right under you at that speed.

Speaking of turkeys, I had one run across the road in front of me earlier this month.  I was shooting video at the time.  This one was a ways ahead of me & there was never any danger, but I did slow down a little to see if I could locate it along the road.  Hard to see on the video, though.  Spotting turkeys in the wild is pretty rare - at least around here.  They're around, but rarely seen.  Same ride, I had a deer jump up out of the grass alongside the road & a hawk tried to take my head off.  Added some excitement to both the ride & the video!

H2O

YellowJacket!

:D :D  Supposed to be near 80's here today and tomorrow.  :D :D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

a steamy 41 degrees here...
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

67GTO

H2O,

Why don't you find a vintage Yamaha Snowmobile, but you would need to do the carbs, etc..... :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

h2olawyer

If I buy any type of snow machine, it will be a used Thiokol (like the ones used for grooming ski slopes).  Put an enclosed, heated compartment on the back & take it snowcat skiing along with a few of my good friends.  Would rather play in the snow on skis with either lifts, snowcat or helicopter to get me up the mountain.   ;D

H2O

kwells

Does Avon offer a spiked winter tire?

www.wellsmoto.com

ProfessorRex

It's in the low 80's today, partly cloudy, Tomorrow is mid-low 70's sunny and it's supposed to stay like the for the next week.  Who wants to come ride me around in their sidecar?  I'll buy gas!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

kwells

Hey h20 you going out riding tomorrow?  supposed to be up to about 60

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Hadn't planned on it, but I suppose I could be coaxed into riding.   ;D  Where would you like to go?

H2O