News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Riding Season Over?

Started by h2olawyer, October 17, 2006, 04:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

hmm I'll try to get my crap together tonight so I might be able to leave out a little earlier than I planned. Trying to avoid any moisture...probably won't be able to avoid wind though.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Wind & weather concerns have forced us to postpone the ride.   :'(  Will try to reschedule for next week - there's supposed to be a several good days then.  Forecast for today has higher winds than originally predicted & Estes Park / Nederland are within the Winter Storm Warning - predicting up to 18 inches of snow by Saturday in the area, along with strong wind & low visibility.

Colorado weather -  ::)

Link to Estes Park webcams:

http://estesparkcvb.com/cams.cfm

Looks like wet streets there already & some heavy weather moving in.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

good thing you knew about area alternative weather tracking.  I was just using weather.com..doesn't apply the same way as out in NYC...with those mtns and all..

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Knowing where to find any weather info is important for mountain travel planning - especially in fall & spring when the weather can change even more dramatically than other times of the year.  Summer, it will generally be nice & sunny with scattered afternoon thunderstorms.  Winter, expect some patchy ice & snow on the roads unless it's been a few days since the last storm.

The weather sites on the web can give you a general idea of what to expect, but there's nothing better than a webcam to see what's actually happening there.  It's a beautiful, sunny morning here right now, but the wind is beginning to pick up.  When it starts to get breezy in town, the foothills almost always have significantly stronger winds.

Middle of next week sure looks like a chance for better riding conditions.  May have to search for some fun riding to the East.  Pretty much straight roads out that way, but the weather is more predictable.  There are some interesting, uncrowded attractions in Eastern Colorado.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Chain restrictions just announced over Vail Pass...Got Chains?

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

I do, but they're for my RX-7  ::)

Oh, just so you know, it's 76 on the coast of California  ;D

Brian

h2olawyer

Its days like this I need a Ural!
www.imz-ural.com/patrol/
www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movies.htm
Temp is 45 here, falling fast & WINDY!
H2O

Brian Moffet

I Like!

And there's a local dealer near me (uh oh!)

h2olawyer

Just added a link to the movies.  Check out the one titled "Ural Snow Games".

H2O

Mutt

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 20, 2006, 04:07:27 PM
Just added a link to the movies.  Check out the one titled "Ural Snow Games".

H2O

I couldn't watch it all the way. I nearly made it but I had to run to the window to make sure it was still sunny and 80 degrees. Thank God it was only a video! I love to ski, but I hate living in the snow! I want to live somewhere where I can ski in the morning and early afternoon then drive to the beach and put on some shorts for a evening bonfire with steaks and beer..... 8)

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Mutt on October 20, 2006, 04:43:18 PM
I want to live somewhere where I can ski in the morning and early afternoon then drive to the beach and put on some shorts for a evening bonfire with steaks and beer..... 8)

That would be California then. :)

h2olawyer

Ski hard ALL DAY - then hit a nice apres-ski lounge & sit by the fire with a fine single malt.  Next grab a good dinner then hit the hot tub (or even better, hot springs).

I have skied & golfed in the same day.  Very possible with some of the late closing dates of places like Arapaho Basin.  They're often open until late June & only 1.5 hours from Denver.

H2O

Mutt

Quote from: Vision Rising on October 20, 2006, 04:46:12 PM
Quote from: Mutt on October 20, 2006, 04:43:18 PM
I want to live somewhere where I can ski in the morning and early afternoon then drive to the beach and put on some shorts for a evening bonfire with steaks and beer..... 8)

That would be California then. :)

Exactly what I had in mind!  ;D

Mutt

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 20, 2006, 05:06:32 PM
Ski hard ALL DAY - then hit a nice apres-ski lounge & sit by the fire with a fine single malt.  Next grab a good dinner then hit the hot tub (or even better, hot springs).

I have skied & golfed in the same day.  Very possible with some of the late closing dates of places like Arapaho Basin.  They're often open until late June & only 1.5 hours from Denver.

H2O

That sounds good too! Of course anything but sitting home watching reruns or the news would be great.

dminor

Not much riding today, I have a head cold. But I did make a run to the store for dog treats. Too hot for all the gear I wear. About 80 today and I really didn't like it.
    Moutain riding was out of the question, dreaded SANTA ANA'S. But I'll wait and dog sit. BECAUSE I BECAME A GRAND FATHER TODAY. Ride on CROV see you in the spring or in June,
Don :D

h2olawyer

Congrats, Grandpa Don!   ;D

Those Santa Anas can get brutal.  Temps here got all the way up into the 40s today.  Forecast for about the same tomorrow (with a little snow in the morning.  Then 60s Monday ~ Wednesday, then another storm is due.  Kind of rough on late season riding, but the early season skiing is starting to look pretty good!

H2O

supervision

Alright don,way ta go grandpa!  Ridin season is alive and well in central Cal.  I met up with the miester for a ride today, he showed me this road east of hwy 49, behind San Andreas. We rode up to where the pavement ends, and doubled back to 49 and then over to 4 and went to Columbia, then went our seperate ways.. The weather was perfect, about 80.  He took the Ducati and I was on Trevor's VFR750F.  It was 170 miles, there were  Fall colors to see, had a nice time of it.  Dave
" border="0

dminor

Thanks H2O.
I looked at your link, for the weather this mourning, snow and 27.5 F. A little too cold for riding, not bad for skiing. Hope the winter is good for you. I do have 1 more grand kid on the way, Thanksgiving time frame. All this baby stuff should be over by then and I can get back to what I love , RIDING.
Should be able to attend the 25th, keep us posted.
Don ;)

dminor

Dave,
Thanks.
   Week after next I should be able to stop dog sitting. That means RIDING. I do need a new front tire on the LT, (the only bike I would ride that far), and I'm ready to go. If you guys plan a ride , let me know. I'm ready.
Don ;)

supervision

Don, actually I'm suppose to be building a carport to park my trailer under before it starts to rain. My wife is talking about having me sleep out in the trailer as a reminder to get the cover built!!  I think I might need to tend to business for a few weeks... How's retirement treating you?  Still looking to move to Nevada?    dave
" border="0