Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

late season ride
take two
<clap>
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Yup - supposed to be in the low 70s down here & low 60s in Estes Park & Nederland.  Little wind as well.  Should be a fun day!  Also the pleasure of meeting another ROVer!  ;D ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Ditto...and again..anyone within about 12hrs drive should join!

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Well, finally got out for the ride today.  Had a great time - even though I was at less than optimal riding shape.  Not sure why, so I just took my time & had fun.  Some sand on a few corners - enough to give me the willies but not enough to slow everyone else down.  Put close to 200 miles on between 9:30 this morning & 2:45 this afternoon, when I rolled into the garage.  Absolutely no bike problems.  The V is running fantastic.  (hope I didn't jinx myself!)

Day started out cool, warmed up pretty nicely even at 9300 ft.  Probably got into the upper 50s there.  Slight breezes but nothing beyond barely able to notice it.  High overcast broke into mostly sunny by about noon.  Close to 70 & sunny down here on the flat lands.  Quite a bit of snow up in the foothills this fall - much more than at this time last year.

Great to meet & ride with another Visionary.  Hopefully next time we won't feel so rushed & can get some good conversation time in.  Enjoyed riding with you, Kevin.  Lets hope for some more good days this fall!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dminor

Well good for you H2O.
   But why did you sneak the ride in on Tuesday?
   Just kidding, glad you guys had a good safe ride.
Don ;)

h2olawyer

Being self-underemployed has its advantages.  I can get out when the traffic is very light.   ;D

H2O

kwells

Yes agreed, being unemployed does have its perks. Great meeting and riding with you H20!  I took some pics right after I broke off and headed off to Boulder...here they are ...The end pic is first(out of order) ...but it would seem there is a good beginning.  Boulder Brewery was cool.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Great photos, Kevin!  Glad you got to see the (nearly) domesticated elk of Estes Park!  They say there are too many for the area to sustain in good health & are trying to figure out how to thin the herd down some.

Also a great shot of Colorado's northernmost 14'er - Longs Peak.  The only 14'er north of I-70.  One of the 8 I've managed to climb (so far).

Boulder Brewery makes pretty good beer.  Nearly rivals Odell's & New Belgium.  There are also several brewpubs in Ft. Collins that are well worth trying.  Since you're in the Denver area, Wynkoop's Downtown is very good.  Near Union Station so it's perfect if you ever ride the ski train to Winter Park.

Glad you made it back safely!   ;D

H2O

kwells

I had fun...Those Elk were pretty close and I wasnt sure about how agressive the bulls were so I tried to keep my distance.   It's a shame that winter is closing in so quick.  I would have liked to hit more twisties.  The sand was pretty scary in some places though.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

As with any 'wild' animal, they can get aggressive at times.  This time of year, they've just finished the rut (mating season) and are more worried about bulking up for winter.  Still, best not to get too close & let them do their thing.

Over in North Park - near Walden, you can also get the chance to see some Shiras Moose.  If you think elk are large, wait until you see the moose!  Had a herd kick me out of a fishing hole over there a few years ago.  Was minding my own business, drifting a gold ribbed hare's ear nymph when I looked up & directly across the stream from me (about 15 feet) was a female moose.  They say if a moose is watching you, you're too close.  They will attack with the front hooves.  Not a pretty sight.  Anyway, without making any sudden moves toward the moose, I reeled in my line & turned to head through the thick brush.  As I was walking back to my truck, I could hear quite a few other moose coming through the foliage toward me.  Kept walking, diagonally away from the sounds & managed to avoid them.  When I got to some high ground, I turned to see if any were visible & counted 20 in the herd - all cows.  With that many in one place, I'm sure a large bull moose wasn't too far away.  I occasionally see one or two together, but this was the largest moose herd I've ever seen.  Was very impressive.

We may have another strong storm moving in on Thursday.  If so, I believe that may end riding in the foothills - Nederland ~ Estes Park because they will spread even more sand up there.  That stuff will hang around until May, 2007.  Guess it's time to ride some straight roads to the east & see how most of the rest of the world lives.   ;D

H2O

kwells

ugh...yeah...sand is looming.  Tomorrow I'll have to put the bike in a garage. I parked it at my apt tonight though...just to see it in my spot even if for only one night.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Got the video from Lyons to Nederland done tonight.  Ready to burn to DVD.  Will also be posting about 6:40 of it to the ROV Media site.  Should be up & viewable soon.  this section of road is on the agenda for next June's 25 year celebration so don't miss it!  We will likely be riding it in the other direction, though.

My bike always stays in the garage.  Truck doesn't fit so there's plenty of room.   ;D  I have my priorities straight . . ..

H2O

Royson

My season isn't over yet! Took my EX500 out for a 2 hour ride.  Snowed for most of it!