Stripped screw holes

Started by Superfly, October 28, 2004, 07:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

How has anyone repaired a stripped hole on the V, I have a puddy that will form and be strong as steel (so it says, we'll see) but I have not tried it yet, has anyone used a product that they were happy with repairing stripped out screw holes?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

louthepou

It all depends on a number of factors: where the thread is, in what type of material, how much stress it's subjected to, how much torque is applied...

Generally speaking, I try one of the following (depending on the situation):

1. Tap or die the thread, if the thread is not too damaged;
2. Use a longer bolt if there's enough space, enough thread left, etc
3. drill, rethread and use a larger diameter of bolt;
4. Drill, put a helicoil (useful to have the kit in your tool chest)

Compounds that look like glue and harden (such as JB weld) might be as "solid" as steel, but these lack the flexibility that steel has, therefore can't be considered a valid replacement for something that will be subject to serious stress (like a thread). TheY'll be OK to patch a small whole in a crank case cover on the side of the road, though.

In any case, it's always better to avoid those situations as much as possible by replacing rusted bolts, using anti seize compound and using a torque wrench.

All that being my humble opinion...

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

fiddlesticks

Yep. Pick up a helicoil kit. You will just have to find an insert that is the correct size.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Venture

Stick to the helicoil idea.  There are other manufacturers of thread insert kits that I know are cheaper than helicoils, but they just don't come to mind right now. Your cheapest bet is to just borrow the helicoil tools from a garage, but pay for the insert you need. Trust me, after working in a Utility for years, I've learned that thread inserts are better than putty when dealing with high heat and vibration.

Lucky

One word: Helicoil. Accept no substitute. :D
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black