News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Another Vision, Another problem engine

Started by Superfly, October 25, 2004, 11:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

In my acquisition of the spittin' & sputterin' bike, I was given another Vision (almost complete) That was sitting in the desert for a while.  Some of the carb tubes were full of dirt and sand.  I ran a spark test, and found a great spark, so I added a carb, just cleaned, but I have never seen it work, put in some brand new plugs (gapped .6 - .7) checked the oil, and it had plenty.  All of the electronics work except the starter button.  I added my gas tank, hooked everything up, and did the ol' screwdriver trick to get her to start,  I can get a healthy turn over, but I can not get her to sound like there is combustion.  I had one backfire that sounded like a gunshot, scared the hell out of the neighbors!!) I took a break after that (ya know, fights with the ex, going through a divorce, then something that sounds like a gunshot...  ;D)  Any suggestions you guys would have on either of the 2 bikes would be much appreciated!!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Superfly

I did put in new hoses to the YICS, and a spare YICS I had off of another bike, maybe I will take the hoses off and check for dirt down the engine.  I read that the YICS holds the air/fuel mixture, and that is a pretty good idea, that I might not have thought of, Thanks!!

Rick G

The YICS canister can leak between the two halves and the fiber washers on the top two screws  can leak . Try  putting a new piece of hose on  each of the  two spigots , in turn and suck on the hose  , then , try it again while blocking the other spigot and compare  the two . A final test is to submerge it in water and blow on each spigot in turn , looking for bubbles.
They can be repaired , so if you find its leaking , ask and we will explane.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Superfly

Thanks Rick, I did the YICS spigots, and added a different fuel pump, it is the bike I got started in the "just got one started" post!  The engine sounds real good, I am noticing all of the little problems that the bike has, the previous owner stripped out one of the bolts that hold on the oil filter cover, and when the engine is running, it spits out oil everywhere, I am going to try to get that fixed tomorrow.