Fitting 83 tank on 82. What needs to be done?

Started by DaWiseWun, October 26, 2004, 03:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaWiseWun

I needed a new gas tank and got a good deal on an 83. ?Problem is I have an 82 bike. ?What needs to be done to make this work? ?I got the 83 petcock with the tank so that's not a problem. ?But the 83 tank has a big ol hole in the right side. i'm guessing this is for the fuel pump? ?Do I need this, or can I plug the hole? ?If I put in the fuel pump, how do I fit it up to my bike? ?Or I guess I can trade a good 83 tank for an 82? ?Let me know.

Thanks,
Josh
"Of course there's a lot of knowledge in universities; the freshmen bring a little in; the seniors don't take much away, so knowledge sort of accumulates.

QBS

The hole you refer to is for mounting the '83 fuel gauge sending unit.  '83s use an external vacume powered fuel pump very similar to the '82.  '83 tanks require '83 petcocks.  '82 petcocks are different.  '83s have a fuel recirculation system, '82s don't.  Petcocks won't interchange from tank to tank.

Options:  Most excellent and experianced Vnarie Rich Greville recently told me that he has come up with a way to fit an '82 petcock to an '83 tank.  You'll still have to somehow block off the rather large sending unit hole.

If you can aquire an '83 sending unit and an '83 instrument cluster, you would have a fuel guage.

Question?  What condition is your '83 tank in regarding rust and paint condition........any dents or dings?

Cheers.

DaWiseWun

The tank appears to be in excellent condiction.  The paint is in good condition and there appears to be no rust what so ever.  There is a dent on the left side where the faring looks to have pushed in a little bit.  Bike prolly got dropped.  It's not that bad, little bondo and should be good.  I would like to have a fuel gauge and since my tack seems to be non-functional, Does anybody have a fuel sending unit and 83 cluster?  If not, I would be interesting in selling/trading this tank as long as I can get an 82.

Thanks,
Josh
"Of course there's a lot of knowledge in universities; the freshmen bring a little in; the seniors don't take much away, so knowledge sort of accumulates.

Lucky

I have an 82 tank & petcock you can have for your 83 petcock, plus $20 & shipping. (I don't need the tank) it's in decent shape, but needs some compounding or poss paint. it's black, no dents.
email me, luckyvision@hotmail.com

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black