News:

Main Menu

Vision Magazine Review

Started by Venture, October 24, 2004, 07:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Venture

Going through my bookcase, I realized I had a excellent review of the XZ550RJ Vision in 'Touring Bike' magazine, originally published in November/82. It has 9 pages of black and white text and pictures.
If anyone is interested I can scan the pages and email them out. I don't have a web page, so if someone else wants to post it, just let me know.

gbranche

If you'd like to email the scanned pages to me, I can post them along with the articles I'm planning on scanning in from Motorcylist and Cycle.

Greg

Venture

Okay, I've just emailed the lot out to Greg. Hopefully, he'll get it posted soon and everyone can have access to it.  If anyone else wants their own email, just let me know. It's a big email, about 2.8 megs.

louthepou

Venture, I received your e-mail, and that picture of the V engine with cutaway parts is worth the downloading time (hint to ROV folks). Plus, I get some 8 pages of excellent bathroom reading!!!

Thanks again

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Superfly

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Cdnlouie

I would love to have that email if you would be so kind to send it out again.  prbc@idirect.com

Thanks  :)

gbranche

I received the mail this weekend with all the pics, and hope to have them all collected into a .pdf file soon (if that works).

Greg

helmsman65

Over the past year, I have been buying everything I
have come across on the Yamaha Vision: reviews,
advertisements, shop and service manuals, posters,
and spec sheets.  Only thing I have yet to get that
I want is the japanese model of the japanese vision
(saw several on ebay but did not move fast enough).
Not really sure why I am doing it...just figure I would
get as much literature on these bikes as possible
before it becomes impossible to get.  I have reviews
from Cycle World, Motor Cyclist, Cycle, Rider, Cycle
Guide, and Car Craft.  I can scan any of this if it
will help the cause.  I was thinking I might one day
put all this on a disc.

One other item of interest...I picked up a book at
Barnes and Noble titled 'The First Century of the
Motorcycle; 100 Motorcycles 100 Years' by Fred
Winkowski.  It documented the Vision as one of the
top 100 motorcycles of the century.  Unfortunately
the pic they indicated as a Vision was not a Vision
at all...but some older bike I did not recognize.  I
wrote the author and surprisingly enough he wrote
back...apologizing for the error and promising to
correct the mistake in the next printing.  I thought
it pretty neat that our bike got some recognition,
even if only produced for 2 years.

Cdnlouie

Way to go helmsman, I think we would all would be interested in what you have and I do believe that someone could take on a project like this to make the Vision experience all that more enjoyable.  Everyone has contributed in some way and that really makes a difference for all.

By the way, how is your new family addition (I hope I am remembering correctly if not just don't mention it to your wife), freeing up any time to get back to the Vision.

Louie  ;)

Rick G

Hey Helmsman  I happen to have a Japanese brochure ,I bought from X ray vision a couple of years ago, email me rgcdn@post.com
The old Yamaha was a YDS3  from 1965.  I have that book too!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

helmsman65

Louie......we did have a second generation of kids...thanks for asking....he is doing great...wide open.  It was sure easier parenting our first daughter at 20 than keeping up with a little boy at 45.  The job has been keeping me off the bike but not for long....just got word today that they are done with it at the shop...got the tank lined and painted, along with the fairing....Ill post pics soon.  Rick...Ill drop you a message; thanks for the info on that bike....I was about right on the age but had no idea of the make....sure hated that they screwed up on the Vision...hope they make it right in the reprint.

gbranche

I've posted the various Vision magazine articles in my .Mac file sharing area. They're in the XZ550_Vision folder, in PDF format.

The ones that are there were originally scanned at 300 dpi, but I reduced the images to 96 dpi for inclusion in the PDF files. I also made versions that have the original 300 dpi images (between 40-50 Mb apiece), and ones that have the images at 150 dpi (between 2.5-4 Mb apiece), for anybody that would like the higher resolution. If you'd like a copy of those, let me know, and we can figure out how to get them to you somehow.

Greg