News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

As a sign of remembrance

Started by Tiger, November 02, 2006, 08:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Lest we forget...Please don't forget to buy a poppy.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

His poem speaks of Flanders fields, but the subject is universal â€" the fear of the dead that they will be forgotten, that their death will have been in vain. Remembrance, as symbolized by the Poppy, is our eternal answer which belies that fear.

Sadly, Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae died of pneumonia at Wimereux, France on 28 January 1918. He was 44 years old.

The Flower of Remembrance

An American teacher, Moina Michael, while working at the YMCA Overseas War Secretaries’ headquarters in New York City in November 1918, read John McCrae’s poem “In Flanders Fields”. She immediately made “a personal pledge to keep the faith and vowed always to wear a red
poppy of Flanders Fields as a sign of remembrance and as an emblem for keeping the faith with all who died".

Two years later, during a 1920 visit to the United States, a French woman, Madame Guerin, learned of the custom. On her return to France, she decided to use handmade Poppies to raise money for the destitute children in war-torn areas of the country.  Following the example of Madame Guerin, the Great War Veterans’ Association in Canada (the predecessor of The Royal Canadian Legion) officially adopted the Poppy as its Flower of Remembrance on 5 July 1921.

Thanks to the millions who wear the Legion’s lapel Poppy each November, the little red plant has never died. And neither have Canadian’s memories for 117,000 of their countrymen who died in battle.

Please wear a poppy with pride.......for those who cannot.

:).......TIGER....... :)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

Thank you Tiger, sometimes we forget down here in the lower 48 that you guys in Canada were in both of those horrible wars from day ONE!

h2olawyer

Thank you, Tiger, for posting the poem & associated story.  It is something we were taught in school - (at least when I went, back in the era when they actually taught) - and so many have forgotten or never heard.

My grandfathers both fought in WWI and my dad & uncles all fought in WWII.  My mom's brother was killed on the USS Astoria in the battle of Savo Island (WWII).  Her father was severely injured in France (WWI).  He was temporarily paralyzed & could only blink his eyes.  He was left for dead - until the units recovering deceased soldiers picked him up & noticed he was still alive.

I have always tried to buy a poppy in recognition of every veteran in my family & for all those who served in every conflict so we may enjoy the freedom we have today.  Often, it is nearly impossible to find out where to obtain them, though.  Contact your American Legion for more info.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

I DID post this because so many people do:

1 - Forget...  ::)

2 - Don't know... :o

3 - Don't care... >:( >:( >:(

The poppy is not to symbolize a "For/Against war(s)" mentality.

Although the poppy is thought of as a rememberance of WW1/WW2 victim's, it is a reminder of ALL those national's who have stepped up since...Korea, Vietnam, The Gulf War, Somalia, The Falkland conflict, Afganistan, Iraq, etc,etc.
The money goes to help the service men/womens families after the death of a loved one, as well as helping service people rehabilitate after loosing limb(s), sight, mental facaulties, etc.
Should you have a family member who has served his/her country, (it does not have to have been in a theatre of war), who are in need...health care, financial, etc, ...Please contact your local Legion chapter for help. This is NOT charity...These people have earned the right to a better standard and this can sometimes be obtained from a charitable organisation...The Legion

PLEASE BUY AND WEAR A POPPY...WITH PRIDE... 8)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kevin

Brian_Matthewson

Thanks for posting this Tiger!
Unfortunately, as time goes by, fewer people are around to remember the horrors of these wars and the lessons they tought are forgotten. As they say, those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it!
Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on November 03, 2006, 06:25:22 PM
I DID post this because so many people do:

1 - Forget...  ::)

2 - Don't know... :o

3 - Don't care... >:( >:( >:(

The poppy is not to symbolize a "For/Against war(s)" mentality.

Although the poppy is thought of as a rememberance of WW1/WW2 victim's, it is a reminder of ALL those national's who have stepped up since...Korea, Vietnam, The Gulf War, Somalia, The Falkland conflict, etc,etc.
The money goes to help the service men/womens families after the death of a loved one, as well as helping service people rehabilitate after loosing limb(s), sight, mental facaulties, etc.
Should you have a family member who has served his/her country, (it does not have to have been in a theatre of war), who are in need...health care, financial, etc, ...Please contact your local Legion chapter for help. This is NOT charity...These people have earned the right to a better standard and this can sometimes be obtained from a charitable organisation...The Legion

PLEASE BUY AND WEAR A POPPY...WITH PRIDE... 8)

1. Im guilty of that

2. I did not know about that

3. we can thank crap news like cnn and fox for making people hate soldiers.

Thanks Tiger for reminding me how to remember our brave men and women from both out countries that have served us with bravery, honor, courage, sacrifice and dignity. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Robin Hood

Over here in the UK, the whole of the country will be silenced at 11 o'clock on Saturday (11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month) to remember not only those who died in two world wars, but as Tiger correctly states, in every conflict since.

One of my grandfathers enlisted in WW 1 in 1914 and thankfully for me lived through it. My father was conscripted (drafted - I think you call it) in 1939 and spent most of the war in North Africa/Italy.

My local social club is also headquarters of the Basford British Legion and will have something in place for Remembrance Day.

I am thankful to those who were not as lucky as my father and grandfather and am wearing my poppy.

kiawrench

our vfw center and local vertrans are always out during this time, and i do not fail to assist. i cant do much in way of selling the poppys, but i always buy plenty and pss then out to those that cant- and in my neighborhood, you will find a single red poppy ,in  a planter on almost every yard all of november. this year we are extending it to all yards, if they wont buy, we will do it for them. but you can count on poppys at every yards mailbox . (every person here has a vetran or lost loved one to remember too,so we all pony up )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .