News:

Main Menu

83 enrichener

Started by jlsracing, November 21, 2006, 09:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

I have 2 bikes with 83 carbs on them with the same problem. The fuel enrichener doesn't really work and I was wondering if someone has experience with where it is they are usually plugged up? I can take the tops of the carbs off and work on those passages, but I just don't think the problem will be there. I have techron in the one bike mixed a little strong and it has had plenty of time to work with no change. I guess I will start with the passages in the tops unless someone comes up with a more likely spot to work on.

Jeff

Lucky

I know exactly what it is..probably  :D

there is a vertical passage cast into the bowl about midpoint along the floats. this passage is fed by an 'inlet' cast in the bowl very near the base of the vertical passage. this is the fuel feed for the choke (enricher).  there is a brass metered piece buried in the feed, nearly impossable to see. it took a good hours worth of work with compressed air, the wire from a long 'baggie tie' and carb cleaner to unplug this passage. (compressed air blown in the feed at the bottom of the hole should come out the vertical passage.)  this thing sits at the bottom of the bowl where all the crud settles and cloggs easily.  i have cleaned it out of 3 different 83 carbs & every single time that did the trick.

also, the rubber on the plunger needs to be in good shape, otherwise the enricher leaks vacuume, drawing fuel & will throw your initial settings off richer.

i hope i've explaned it well, if not i can try to take pics, but my camera sucks at close ups...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bluefairladyz

Damn, this is an excellent forum!

Lucky

(huff, huff...polishing nails) lol

jefferson

Thanks Lucky,
I thought you might have some input into this. I really figured that the problem was in the bowls, but it was easier to take the tops off than remove the whole carb. I am a bit disapointed though as this is the first time that Techron has let me down. I will keep the treated fuel in it until I quit putting it our by the street. Maybe a little bit more time will help although it is as bad as you say I don't know. At least I can take the carb off the racebike and get it fixed.

Jeff

Lucky

it's not a hard/bad fix, just a little time & patience.
i think there is a limit as to what most average fuel filters will clean & like it or not crap will allways get thru, plus whatever condensation forms in the bowls, however little, adds up.

Lucky

happened to find a pic of exactly what i'm refering to, the 2 circled passages
happy T-day!
--Lucky