Turbocharged Vision???

Started by DancinOn1Wheel, October 21, 2004, 08:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DancinOn1Wheel

Anyone ever think about this or know anyone or heard of anyone that has done it??? i have a few turbos laying around from different turbo cars (small turbo cars) that i had picked up with the intention of doing a turbo on a few different bikes that i just havent gotten around to yet... i was thinking that since all my other bikes are running good, and the vision is not, then it might be the perfect canidate for boost since i wouldnt be trying to fix something that is already running good... anyone know the compression ratios of these bikes??? i would assume they are high due to the small displacement.

any info or input on this would be awesome...

- Justin
I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious, self-righteous people around me.

~=~ My Ebay Store ~=~

Josh M

I have indeed thought of turbocharging a Vision, but lack of funds and lack of knowledge combined for a big NO on my part.  I'm not sure what the compression is on these bikes, but I think it's probably too much for just "adding" a turbo.  I would think that it would probably use the smallest turbo available.

It should be a good project, and I'm interested to see how well it turns out.
shiny shiny....

Extent

The V's compression ratio is 10.5:1

I just recently saw a page online of a guy who put a turbo on a Kawasaki (zrx1100? dont remember, it was green)  I think he ended up with a TB25 turbo on it, had a larger one on at first but the lag was too much.  He had dual sidemount intercoolers, and had some advice on how to deal with the carbs, but I can't for the life of me find the page again.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lead_Deficiency

I had a turbo 650 Seca. The turbo on it was very small, it had an oil cooler and it was 4 into 1 exhaust. The compression ratio was less than the Vision's. I think it had a 9 to 1 ratio. the waste gate dumped originally at a about 8 psi. Then Yamaha had a Boost kit installed that increased it's psi to about 14,  and it had a restrictor installed at the end of the tail pipe that was pretty much just a 1/2 inch washer that was welded in.
 Oh ya it also had reed valves to decrease the amount of turbo lagg.

silicon_toad2000

compression ratio is 10.5:1
not very turbo friendly.
I've had a bit of a thought about turboing the vision but after scratching my head on the exhaust manifolding for a while and deciding that I could't find turbo's small enough for a twin turbo setup i gave up.
If you can figure out the exhaust manifolding, ditch the mikuni's and run a suck through system with an easily tuneable carb, without the airbox needed you could fit a nice large tank on the vision and get a decent range.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Josh M

After thinking about this for a bit, I think nitrous would be a much easier way to extract insane power for a limited time. :o ;D
shiny shiny....

Lead_Deficiency

Well in about a week and a 1/2 let us know what parts are up for sale after you've blown it up. ;)

kiawrench

hmmm,
 ? i see a parts bike in the making!
 as for turbo or NOx, forget it ,, the vision is a sport touring bike, nothing on it can deal with the conversions you are looking at.
 ? there would be too many things to rebuild just to run either- lower end ,valve train,new chains, new tranny, new mounts and then you have to redesign the frame to deal with the torque,,,,,, save your money, buy a second bike to race your friends with ,, look closely at the pics of vision race bikes in the gallery,those bikes are modified to the point they are almost something else- but if you just have to: dress for the crash,,, you may need it .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

louthepou

What, you mean the Vision frame can't handle much more power?!?  ;D

I think the frame couldn't even deal with a lawnmower engine, but that's another subject. Boy did frame technology evolve in the 80's. One could argue that since a few years, race bikes with the latest "controlled flex" frames (dealing better with mid-corner bumps) are paying a tribute to our good ol' Vision...

Louis

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

harry_angel69

This is my recent idea in my ever increasing quest for more power. ?I will call it bad idea #1538651. ?I have convinced myself that i can mount a sv650 motor on a Vision frame, just look at how they mount. ?Change and modify the wiring harness, computer swap. ?Swap the rear swingarm and the front forks (dual dront discs). ?Then you have access to the thousands of mods for the sv650. ?Probably will not ever do it, the logistics just are not there (not on my bike). ;D ?But there are a lot of both of these junkers parts bikes out there. ?I just have a very limited bike budget, hence why mine had been waiting for parts for the past month. ?The modivation is there but the cash is weak.

Well I can dream, can't I.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.