News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Cock flavoured soup

Started by Robin Hood, November 07, 2006, 08:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Mutt on November 13, 2006, 12:45:57 AM
WIKIPEDIA DEFINITION:
Chicken sexing is the method of distinguishing the sex of chicken hatchlings, usually by a trained person called a chicken sexer. Chicken sexing is practised mostly by large commercial hatcheries, who have two different feeding programmes, one for the females (or hens) who are destined to lay eggs for commercial sale, and the others for the males (or roosters), most of whom will be fattened up for sale as meat. The chicken sexer puts the chicken hatchlings on the appropriate track early, enabling those chickens to receive optimal nourishment for their likely commercial role from an early age.

Different segments of the poultry industry sex chickens for various reasons. In factory farms that produce eggs, males are unwanted; for meat production, separate male and female lines for breeding are maintained to produce the hybrid birds that are sold for the table, and chicks of the wrong sex in either line are unwanted. Chicks of an unwanted sex are culled (i.e., killed) almost immediately, to reduce costs.

According to my neice, Kim, Foster's Farm just burns their beak so they don't peck and gives them a shot that makes them all hens. They get eggs a while then sell the meat.

I don't eat Foster's Farms chickens any more.   :P

;D
coil

YellowJacket!

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on November 14, 2006, 07:25:52 AM
Quote from: Mutt on November 13, 2006, 12:45:57 AM
WIKIPEDIA DEFINITION:
Chicken sexing is the method of distinguishing the sex of chicken hatchlings, usually by a trained person called a chicken sexer. Chicken sexing is practised mostly by large commercial hatcheries, who have two different feeding programmes, one for the females (or hens) who are destined to lay eggs for commercial sale, and the others for the males (or roosters), most of whom will be fattened up for sale as meat. The chicken sexer puts the chicken hatchlings on the appropriate track early, enabling those chickens to receive optimal nourishment for their likely commercial role from an early age.

Different segments of the poultry industry sex chickens for various reasons. In factory farms that produce eggs, males are unwanted; for meat production, separate male and female lines for breeding are maintained to produce the hybrid birds that are sold for the table, and chicks of the wrong sex in either line are unwanted. Chicks of an unwanted sex are culled (i.e., killed) almost immediately, to reduce costs.

According to my neice, Kim, Foster's Farm just burns their beak so they don't peck and gives them a shot that makes them all hens. They get eggs a while then sell the meat.

I don't eat Foster's Farms chickens any more.   :P

;D
coil

o:  o:

eat enough of their chicken and we'll all be hens!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Mutt

I don't eat Foster's Farms chickens any more.   :P

;D
coil
[/quote]

Many years ago when I was in the first grade, we visited a chicken farm. I remember them burning their beaks on hot iorn plates. It smelled like hair burning so it left an impression on me for sure. I remember thinking the lady that was doing it looked like the lunch lady at my school so I wouldn't eat there for a long time.

Mutt  :-\
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President