This would be cool!

Started by Lucky, November 13, 2006, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

i'd like to do a cutaway of the Vision engine (on an actual engine).

i've allways wanted to have a tabletop minarature Chevy V-8. A real one, all metal, running on fuel, lifters, pushrods et-al, not one of those plastic ones, only minature. I was looking at some ideas in that vein on google.  i saw a few full size coffee tables..'small-block under glass' type stuff.

Anyway, if anyone has something like a V engine with a broken case (i'd hate to cut up a useable one) & we can figure out something for shipping, lets talk.

i'm thinking engine & mounts w/ bolts. i'd like to do cutaways like the poster (which i don't have & think i never will...) paint the edges red/blue, polish the whole thing, & have it turn at a slow speed too!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

I'll have a donor if my plan goes as planned...

I have DeckBike (aka Erich's little red vision) and StinkBomb that I'm combining into "Project PoopDeck" (um... that name may change when I'm done)

the autopsy on DeckBike pretty much confirmed what I thought:
no battery
dead stator
no yics - hardhosed cylinder to cylinder
bolts sheared on the starter clutch
etc... ect...

DeckBike has helped me and others for parts and such... but anyway...

StinkBomb has under 8k and I plan on dropping that engine into DeckBike's frame since Stinker does not have a title and it's extremely.. well stinky.

Motoplow used to come up to NY.... maybe we could hook up and at least get it more southern

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

alright, we'll keep it on the radar, thnkx

YellowJacket!

I was at the hobby store last week and they had a cutaway V-Twin model (although it was a Harley motor  :(  )

It was a bit expensive though but it would run.  It was 1/2 ot 1/4 scale I think.  Kind of like the "Visible V-8 I built as a kid.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

:) I'm kinda north of you Lucky... ::) but I have a spare '82 if you decide to go down that path... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Blake

Hey Lucky,

I remember a few years ago i was trying to straighten up that picture a bit (make it sharper) and blow it up so that it could be printed on a poster.  I remember i got pretty far but eventually got distracted with all the time involved.  I'll see if i still have it someone on a hard drive.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

that would be good.  the pic below isn't actually the poster i was talking about, there was a dealer poster put out that was a cutaway of the entire bike (there is also advertising with sections of the bike)

Lucky

This will take me a long time, i have to study each piece & consider the whole to determine how i'm going to cut things. just looking a broken 82 carb, i have several different ways of doing that alone.

I'm going to study any of the cutaways for the bike i can find, as well as cutaways in general.  i want it to look nice, show at least the esentials, & not kill me in the process.

plus everything will have to be cleaned & polished..

ps2/bikevision

ive got a siezed up motor that would be perfect for this. even if it got really messed up it wouldnt be any loss. i was supposed to be going to n.c. for christmas but i dont trust anyone with my dog so i had to cancel.

Night Vision

kinda like this cut away? (from XzV2's site) scroll down some

http://home.planet.nl/~leeu7818/motor/VentureintechnologyBegin.htm

oops, guess I'd have to put the toasted stator back in for ya :D
;D

Lucky

That is exactly what i'd like to do, in fact, although i don't remember seeing those pics before, i'm sure i must have...  hey XzV2, any chance you can email me some nice hi res scans of those pics?

I think it'd be manditory to have the stator toasted... lend it an air of realism  :D  besides, how long do you think a good stator would last in there b4 someone needed it?, lol

I'd probebly use those pics as a basis for a starting point & depending on how much time/effort/$$ i have/feel like putting into it, may go even further.  i'm open to (serious) opinions as to what else should be shown.  i'm partial to showing the whole intake/exhaust track of the engine...
--Lucky

67GTO

The stand would also be necessary.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Lucky

easy enough to fab up, or even some nice hardwood pieces.

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on November 15, 2006, 11:27:27 PM

I think it'd be manditory to have the stator toasted... lend it an air of of realism 

does that mean I have to put the sheared off starter clutch back on and find a leaky YICS box too  ??? ???

;D
;D

Blake

oh hey Lucky,

Also.. if you need anything measured.  I'm bringing my spare engine back here to school after thanksgiving.  It's going to make a nice paperweight on my desk ;D.  literally. haha.  I figure if i have it nearby It'd be easier to take measurements of things i've always wondered when I'm trying to waste time.  I welded up an engine stand for it this summer out of angle steel from home depot to make it easier to store (nothing pretty, but it works) but i'll just put a turkey pan under it to catch the excess drippings, but no one can complain since its only me.  let me know if you need any measurements or pictures of random things taken :)
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

XZv2

Hi, Lucky,
I did just send you the two pictures of the open XZ engine, published in the December number of MotoJournal in 1981.
XZv2

Lucky

Fantastic pics! thanks, they will help tremendously!!!

haunter

I have a head, stacks, block sitting in my garage that are going to scrap(1 bad piston, bad 2nd and 3rd gear)
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.