just a question- (answers helpful!)

Started by kiawrench, November 22, 2006, 07:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

Am thinking about restyling my bike just a bit, bring it more along the lines of newer custom bikes-
stretching the frame, jacking the downtube, all of that just wont work on a vision, but the "hot " paint schemes will.

i wen t down to local chopper shop, put a few minutes into the usual , yes it is old, yes i do all my own repairs, no i cant buy parts from any of the area dealers,,, then we got down to what mods i could do.

Seems this guy was a yammie freak for years, and has only recently moved to s&s ready mades, so he has a few ideas.

sand blast the exhausts, from end to end, do euro pipe wrap from collars to new pipes, retune  carbs to deal with set of welded up bubs ,(with baffle set that will adjust )

strip and repaint all of the bike skeleton, frame is powder coated ,as is drive shaft, brake drum and wheels , in Cory graphite( real dark ,near black,yet a bit on silver side)

body setup is stripped and primed, then shot with 5 thin coats of flat black Rhino bedliner (not paint)

the end result is very slick, flat black finish that can handle anything any of us could spill or drop on it ( no more chipped paint )

any votes for something like this ?   or maybe idea two :

strip and repaint everything in root beer and cream finish ,,sort of like harley daytona limited was ,,,
chrome the valve covers, side covers , and rebuild exhaust with custom set up from end to end, black powder coated on to 4 into one setup ,like crotch rockets use .
   strip and chrome the triples and risers, switch to kuryaken fat grips ,

or should i just  forget it all for now and wait for better idea to develope?

i cant ride right now, so it isnt like am going to use up my time just riding .
  your opinions matter,,, so answer away;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

If you got the time and money....go for it.  Sounds pretty nice.
I had given some thought to paint schemes on mine too.  I was torn between painting the engine black and polishing it, then I thought I could paint it black but paint the valve covers gold to set it apart.  Kia, you got my gears turning.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

or...... RhinoLiner the whole thing

http://www.xz550.de/tp3/index.php?id=143&type=1&tx_gooffotoboek_pi1_fid=5

I kinda like it!!

there are little blue arrows above the pic... lots of ideas there...
I tried talking Tiger into the "orange cup of cafe" 
hope he doesn't sell the newbie 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on November 22, 2006, 08:30:05 PM

I kinda like it!!

Does it bounce back up if it falls over?  ;D

I used rhinoliner under my tank to seal it up after I patched the pinholes.  Working great so far.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

the primer black look does have it's fan base, i once fell in love with a '71 Mach I, louvered rear window, all flat black & black interior & chrome exhaust.  it was rolling bad-ass!

chrome engine parts & plastic & you'll vaporise that bike in the southern sun  :o ...unless you like pipeburn & overheating..

my .02
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

night vision--- you have the very same pic i have printed out and sitting on my desk! that's where i got the idea to use bedliner!!!!!!
  i do have super gloss engine paint on my power plant ,am sort of leaning that way,,,,, go back to vision digest #1,,, look at my ride, see if you think it would work in rhino liner,,,,, let me know .

current colors of bedliner on market :
flat black
semi gloss black
traction black ( sort of sand in the mix ,skin eater  too!)
dodge red
ford blue
chevy blue
galaxy blue
flat forrest green
semi gloss kelly green
chev engine orange
gray
crimson
chocolate brown

lot of choices, but am leaning towards flat black, and the british bobber wrap on the exhaust pipes--
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

I should have down loaded those digests, but never got around to it.  >:(

I am going with a black ceramic semi gloss engine paint on the project engine.
just about every thing below the red paintset will be blackened except my (dream) predators

I don't know anything about Rhino Liner, but I do like that Kawasaki flat candy blue.

how bout a RatRodRhinoVision? ala Exile style... flat black rhino liner, bushed alu, red rims, wrapped pipes  :o

'course I don't worry much about being blackened up here  :D :D...

"the sun's gonna shine on my back door someday"

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiawrench

i like the blacked out look on engine,, and it is ten times easier to clean up (a lot of sand on roads here- at the beach)   but really looking into the flat black rhino look,,, as you say, ala EXILE   most of the builders here are going with flat black, flat graphite and flat galaxy blue(really dark blue- almost black)

i kind of like the idea that gas, oil ,kids and curious lookers wont be able to damage the finish.

guy i talked to said they use a 4 to 5 coat paint -on,, very thin each time, so that the finish is really smooth. 
    i am still bouncing the exhaust idea,, new oem? used oem? wolf?  stackers?   no idea yet,, would really like to get  something with tuneable baffles,   am looking hard for a setup i can adapt to fit -- so far only getting ear shine from the guys that can make it happen,, no real progress

kiawrench

ok, i did all the math ,, and looks like i will be going with the graphite  bedliner finish later
   graphite ,smooth finish(no traction enhancement ) from front to rear, but not engine,, high gloss black stove paint . graphics will be airbrushed on, silver fade pinstripes with razor edge on one side,,, like the gray bike on europen site . with my seca hard bags and quicksilver fairing,, this thing should really pop in a well lit ride !!
(already looks like a star wars prop, or maybe a redoux of vetter "mystery ship " without lower fairings )

Blake

one thing kia.  if you wrap your exhaust in exhaust wrap, dont expect it to last long.  Wrapping an exhaust keeps the exhaust temperatures high, which fatigues the metal quite fast.  The repeated high heat cycling will take its toll on the steel.  this is why most places now that do exhaust ceramic coatings will only coat both the inside AND outside of the tube-to prevent that from happening.   Sounds like a good project though!  I attempted to go that way a few years back (even bought a 4" up and out "harley" frame with a rear able to hold a 200 series) but had too much going on at the time and had to abandon the project for the time being.  but definately let me know how it comes along!  sounds like a good idea (I was actually trying to go for the exile look too-one of my favorite styles-stripped down, basic, and rough ;D)
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

hfarley

I guess I am getting in on this a bit to late but I really liked the second idea. Anytime there is chrome involved I am there! LOL! Plus the whole look sounds cooler to me. But what do I know, I am still trying to fix little things on my bike and haven't even gotten to think about what I am going to do to the paint job when I am finished. LOL!
-Heather  ;)
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Mutt

Quote from: Night Vision on November 22, 2006, 08:30:05 PM

I kinda like it!!

I'll bet you it's stealth technology. It's invisible to radar just like the stealth bomber.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

kiawrench

mutt,,,
  may have stealth look, but my pipes are bored out,,, make macs seem quiet, lol  i do have a near new oem exhaust out in storage room, may use it ,, i did drop idea of euro wrapping the pipes,,, maybe if there was a steady supply of pipes to buy, ,but for now, am looking towards cleaning these up and getting them repainted .

did find a sweet color,, may over ride my flat black ---- "blue screen " is same color as computer screen of death,,,, lol actually is a volkswagon blue, in flat finish

am working the truck shop paint guy hard,, trying to get deal worked out. he is holding out for a sweeter deal,, right now we are at cost of material, 100.00 and pair of tickets to house of blues spring metal celebration   (250..)      a bit too high,,, maybe 2 tickets to H.O.B. "as yet to be determined "show for 100.00.   keep in mind , he is doing ALL prep .