Gas Tank Replacement options?

Started by bryanspoon, October 30, 2006, 09:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryanspoon

I now have the bike in my living room and am taking 'her' apart.  Only 9000 miles, but the gas tank has several holes, larger than pin, and someone tried to fix, to no avail.

Are there tank replaces?  I bought a kid ot line the tank, but it ain't gonna fix this! ;(

Night Vision

I sealed some "bigger than pin holes" with the por-15 kit on my brothers tank. nicest looking tank that leaked you ever saw. Holes on the paint side and holes on the back bone side.

I didn't have much fun with the fiberglass patch that came with the kit (too messy, kept sliding around and would also look like crap on the paint side) so I took a small piece of a cotton ball and stuck it over the holes and taped over it.

the cotton drew the por out and I just trimmed it when it was dry. I also let the por purposely puddle in that corner.

It's worth a $35 try... or go to www.ebay.de and learn german to get a $150-200? tank....

or get one of these sets for around $300?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

stephenn

I had reasonable luck with 'gas tank patch', which is a two-part epoxy-like log that you squeeze to mix up in your hand.
I've fixed a dozen (mostly not visible) holes from pinhole up to nickel sized in two different tanks tanks using it.
I started by sanding down to bare metal with 80-150 grit sandpaper and then following the directions.  It's a little bit
harder to do as holes get bigger without using a large amount of the patch, but I imagine for a larger hole a small
bit of metal screening would give the patch enough structure to hold until it hardened???

I have no idea how much this serves as a long term patch.  When I bought the bike, it was patched in this
way, but one of the patches was leaking.  I popped the patch off using a putty knife and it appeared that the previous
owner hadn't prepped the tank at all, just applied the patch to the paint.  I used the same material, but prepped the
area pretty carefully.  This has held for close to 4 years ago and shows no sign of leaking.  (knock on wood)

Steve

YellowJacket!

I used som e"Liquid Steel" tank repair that I got at Advanced Autoparts.  It comes in a small tube.  I sanded and prepped the areas to be repaired and "pushed" the goo intot he holes using my finger.  After that dried, I applied a few more layers over the area to fully seal it off.  My final step was to use some spray on truck bed liner and coat the entire underside of the tank.  It dries to a thick plastic/rubbery hardness and in my opinion will protect the tank from further damage.
One word of caution though.  If you decide tospray on the truck bed liner, make sure all your leaks are repaired otherwise the gas will just accumulate between the tank and the seal.  It'll eventually find its way out but it will drive you crazy trying to figure out where it came from.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

NV: I love your POR cotton ball technique.  Most excellent creativity!

BREWSKI

I used JB weld,called them they said their product is impervious to gasoline I applied extra heavy and feathered it with 100 grit sandpaper,make sure the bare metal is clean and rouhg the are up a bit,clean with acetone and apply.I also lined it with RED KOTE I know most of the guys use another product,but this worked great for me,Red  Kote is used to line auto and aircraft tanks it,s available in Dayton ,Ky by the quart will be more than enough for your tank cost about $12.00 a quart........Brewski
GEORGE BATES

bryanspoon

All, after several hours of prep, coating, etc it looks like the Por15 and a JB weld type gasoline external 'fix' PLUS the fiberglass overlay I think I'm set....now will it run!? :)

Thanks!

Bryan

Tiger

Quote from: bryanspoon on November 20, 2006, 09:33:27 PM
....now will it run!? :)
Thanks!Bryan/quote]

8)...Sure it will...but open your living room window(s)... ::) ;D ;D ;D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... ;D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jefferson

Threre is a salvage place in Wichita, KS. that had good tanks for Visions last time I was there. I put it in the last paper newsletter. Roadrunner salvage is the name and these tanks looked like warranty take offs although it was hard to see with the level of light. You might give them a try.

Jeff