master cylinder resevoir screws

Started by Brian Moffet, November 12, 2006, 06:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Mine are refusing to come out, and now have stripped the screw "slots" (phillips and all).   :-[

Suggestions on getting them out?  EZ-Out and then new screws?  Or buy a new one from DGY for 156.00?

Brian

Lucky

2 suggestions:
reslot them with a dremil tool, i got one out that way.
-or-
grind the heads out with a dremil,  then once you pop the cover off, the studs that are left will probably come with your fingers...

also, if you can clamp the cover on a little tighter with a "C" clamp, the screws may just come right out. it's a matter of compressing the gasket a bit more.  this worked great on a spare master i had.

note that the screws never have to be on killer tight. look at old GM cars, they only have a spring bail wire holding theirs on. it's just a dust/moisture seal.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

also, if you have to kill the cap to get them off, i'm sure Tiger has another for much less than DGY..

i've also had good luck turning small screws out with a light hammer & prick punch.

QBS

Tap the perimeter of the screw head at a counter clockwise angle with a really sharp pointed metal punch and hammer until the screw either comes out or breaks loose(you can then screw it out normally).

Worst case scenerio:  If the screw head breaks off(unlikely, but stuff happens), pray that there is enough of the screw left sticking out of the reseviour to grab with a small Vise Grip tool.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Lucky

Tiger

:)...Dead easy...done two...drill the head's out, (with a good sharp drill bit), take your time...speed and feed!!!...Once you have drilled the head's off and removed the cover the two "stump's" will come out no problem... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

I knew that at least I should be able to drill it out, but I hadn't thought of compressing the seal.  Thanks for that Lucky, I'll give it a try.

I didn't really anticipate purchasing a new one, I was just surprised they had one listed!  :o

I'll let people know which idea worked.

Brian

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Vision Rising on November 12, 2006, 09:59:11 PM
I knew that at least I should be able to drill it out, but I hadn't thought of compressing the seal.  Thanks for that Lucky, I'll give it a try.

Well, that didn't work.  I'll drill the things out then.  I don't know what gorilla put this thing together last, but it's really on there tight.

Joy, at least I know if I end up accidently destroying it, I can get another one.

Brian

MotorPlow

Quote from: Lucky on November 12, 2006, 06:57:37 PM
a light hammer & prick punch.

I think this is what you oughta do to the gorilla that tightened the screws so tight.

Lucky

Tiger

Quote from: Vision Rising on November 13, 2006, 12:23:49 PM
Well, that didn't work.  I'll drill the things out then.  I don't know what gorilla put this thing together last, but it's really on there tight.
Brian

Brian,
Replace them with flat head "Allen drive" screw's..Stainless steel is best, if not available, use zinc plated one's...(put a weeeee touch of anti-seize product on them).

8).......TIGER....... 8) 
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

YES, replace them with stainless...done this on all my bikes...they look like stock but shine.  You don't need allen heads. Stainless is available at a good hardware store...not Home Depot.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules