News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Interesting Opportunity - But I'm taking it with a grain of salt...

Started by YellowJacket!, November 26, 2006, 10:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

We have a family friend who is a producer for a large media company.  In the past, we have had some projects filmed at my house for DIY etc and  have had the plug pulled on some bigger ones...DIY to the Rescue and Grounds for Improvement.  He and I were talking the other day and his new project is a show about motorcycle restoration.  Their current project is restoring a Vintage Indian...a very old one.  He asked me if I had any ideas about subject matter for any upcoming shows and I told him me thoughts.
I feel like choppers are overdone.  I told him that if he wanted to do a show that a lot of people in general would be interested in, he should focus on the average joe and his bike (can you see where I'm going?).  I told him that street bikes and cruisers are where its at in the bike world.  Choppers are nice but too damn expensive and a pain to ride.  I told him that the bike revolution centered around the late 70's and early to mid 80's and they should do a few shows on bikes from that era.
In particular, the Vision.  Not just because I have one but because it is more of an obscure bike that was ahead of its time and from a marketing standpoint flopped...well, for other reasons though.  But...us average joes have developed a stron following for it and have collectively put together our heads and have figured out how to make a decent, rideable bike out of it.
Of course, for the sake of prosperity I volunteered to dismantle and reassemble my bike on camera, but I'm sure there may be more worthy samples out there.
I want to try to convince him that this is either a great project for him to take on or it will be a flop.  So, this is an unofficial and unsanctioned request for input.  Like I said, I had the plug pulled on me before but I though this would be an opportunity for us to shed light on us who have a passion for this wonderful bike that we all love so much (ok, maybe not all of us.)
I told him about some of the videos we have shot and posted (and some of the ones we have not) and told him about the ROV site.  He has seen my bike and seen some of the pictures of my resto project.  So, lets convince him to do a show about the Vision.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Oooh, if he still wants to do grounds for improvement, send him over to my house...you've seen my lawn, lol (theyre buying right?)  ;D ;D ;D

I think it's a good idea, i'm guardedly worried that the publicity would drive prices up, but that's just me.

what would you use for shop facilities? Tools? spare parts? If it were me, i'd like to keep my bike intact & do a resto on one that is in typical 'sat for 9 years' shape. those are the ppl we want to encourage.  plus i don't like taking one apart that's working well (if it ain't broke)  but if you have the opertunity to have a frame up done on your ride, go for it brother...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

NewVisionGuy

I say  do  whatever it takes  to  talk him  into it.  The publicity may  drive up  prices on used parts.  Another side effect might  be  that it  generates enough interest in the bikes  to get the attention of some of the after-market companies.... possibly enough to get them to start making the parts  we can't find anymore.  If nothing else would come of it,  your bike would  look  REALLY Niiice afterwards.  :)

I'm hoping to get mine running again,  and then  begin  working on rebuilding mine and designing the subframe to do Odium's  cafe bike.

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=5160.0

Tiger

:) Hmmmmmm, "Black Panther" is toooooo far away, I suppose  ;D ;D :D :D... ;) Never mind... ;)

Go for it Dave, it would be nice to get some media coverage on the Vision's. However, don't try and sell him on how rare the "V" is becoming...more on the lines of...Lot's of them sitting around in garage's, basement's, barn's, etc, awaiting restoration... ;) you know..."ahead of its time"..."owners outside the ROV that don't really understand these girl's", 25th anniversary coming up, ROV website, etc, etc....... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!