News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

A wee bit of "V" history

Started by Tiger, December 06, 2006, 07:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) A wee bit of history... 8)

Yamaha XZ 550

The Yamaha Vision (XZ550) was a motorcycle produced in 1982-83. It offered innovative technology in its motor and bold (too bold according to some) styling.

Early production models were flawed with poor braking and carburetion glitches.

Contents.

1 Models
2 Engine
3 Transmission
4 Wheels
5 Measurements

Models
Three slightly different models were produced: the European model, with dual front braking discs, the 1982 US model (RJ), with a single disc and the 1983 US model (RK), with dual discs and a fairing. The models also use different sparkplugs and front forks.

The Yamaha Vision was originally conceived in the late 1970s when motorcycling was at its peak, and spent three years in development, being overseen by a small group of designers and enthusiasts rather than "committee think". The stated aim was to produce "a touring bike of the highest calibre, its touring credentials matched by awesome sporting performance." The Vision succeeded on both fronts, its comfort on long rides and veritable torque-monster engine matched by its distinctive deep V-Twin exhaust beat and "neck-snapping performance." The bike was considered "rather B.M.W.-like," in reference to its touring credentials, and "the most European motorcycle from Japan in recent memory."

Unfortunately, producing an entirely new product from scratch is never without initial problems, and the Vision suffered from plenty. An appalling off-idle carburetion quirk, known as the "Vision stumble," meant these machines frequently stalled on takeoff. Lightning quick steering was considered too extreme for some, though appreciated by sporting riders. The front suspension was described as too soft, the rear, "sprung like a buckboard." On the electrical side, the Vision had "a well deserved reputation for eating starters and stators."

The 1983 model Vision fixed most of the faults, with an improved carburettor eliminating the "stumble," air adjustable front forks firming up the ride and improving the roadholding, as did an adjustable rear shock. A full fairing, with adjustable hot and cold air vents, effectively shielded the rider. With the improved carburettor and minor internal adjustments, the engine's strengths became apparent: it had enormous torque at all revs, and would pull from idle in top gear. Despite the 10,000 R.P.M. redline, the oversquare bore and short stroke kept the piston speed low, with the result that the engine always sounded relaxed, even at peak revs. The exhaust note has been compared to that of a Ferrari Testarossa (which came out several years later.) With its unique "hang support" frame, whereby the engine is suspended beneath the frame for lighter weight, the Vision's performance and roadholding were far ahead of its time. Unfortunately, so too was the cost. The motorcycling boom of the Seventies was already receding before the Vision hit the showroom floors, and rival motorcycle companies offered cheaper motorcycles without the quirks. The model was discontinued in 1983, though it maintains cult status online. see also- xz550.com
If you want to see what is meant by "cult status" go to RidersOfVision. I have never seen such dedication to the bike. It is a large group of people who love this bike. Unless you speak Japanese and know who actually worked on the design of this bike, you won't find better support than this. The site has no obnoxious or useless threads, although the forum is quite large. Actual proper advice is always given to every question asked. Although not the owner of the site, Lucky (runs www.xz550.com)is one of the more senior guys on the site. Without doubt, he knows more about this bike than any other person you could ever hope to communicate with.

Engine
4 stroke 70-degree DOHC V-Twin
4 valves per cylinder
liquid cooled
552 cm³
65 hp (48 kW) @ 9500 rpm
50 N·m (37 ft·lbf) @ 8500 rpm

Transmission
gearbox: 5 speed
final drive: shaft

Wheels
front tire: 90/90-18 51H
rear tire: 110/90-18 61H
front brake: single/dual discs
rear brake: drum

Measurements
wet weight: 212 kg (467 lb)
fuel capacity: 17 l (4.5 US gal)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

louthepou

Hey Tiger, did you get this on Wikipedia? I'm the one who started that subject with the first two sentences :)

Glad to see it grew this much!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Tiger

Quote from: louthepou on December 06, 2006, 05:34:13 PM
Hey Tiger, did you get this on Wikipedia? I'm the one who started that subject with the first two sentences :)

Glad to see it grew this much!

Lou

;D...I cannot tell a lie... :P...I DID!!! I thought it was a neat info' piece to "post".

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

NewVisionGuy

I thought I remembered  this  from somewhere.  I'll  bet  several of the  forum  members  have  worked on this  article. haha.

plavix

The Wikipedia article was my first reference point on the Vision.  When I saw the ad in Craigslist for an 83 Vision, I had no idea what it was.  When googling it, the Wikipedia article came up near the top.  That article was the nudge I needed to keep going in my research on the vehicle...sending me to ROV and to Lucky's site.  The rest is history, and now I have been sucked into the Vision Vortex...likely being stuck in here until I take a dirt nap.  Thanks Wikipedia. :D

Lucky

That's the first time i've seen it..hey, i'm famous!  :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

P. folks have made you famous long ago :

"Well, arent you lucky!"   = confused as to who they are talking to
" You lucky   sum-@*%**!!   = may really have talked with you
" That was lucky!"        = finished talking to you
"lucky break "    = where you are when co-workers cant find you
"lucky opportunity"     = a vision posted for sale in local paper
lucky chance=           you have already talked about buying that vision
Lucky Bast@*&@@    =you already bought that vision

see  you are so famous we even changed our language to show our gratitude for all of your help and knowledge ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

roflmao       help!,,, i have started laughing and cant quit--------- not good on the stitches         

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on December 08, 2006, 07:35:48 AM

;D...I think the word is...INFAMOUS... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D... ;)....... 8)

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on December 08, 2006, 07:35:48 AM

"The new phonebook's here, the new phonebook's here!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

i am thinking that Lucky is going to run me over one of these days,,,,

which brings me to ::       " man, am i lucky i had clean underwear on "

Actually, i know how he got the nickname "lucky"   ,,, and trust me folks    , he is.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Lucky Penny - Lucky and his wife  ;D

Had to add my two cents, or is it just one penny or is it Penny...... errrrrrr

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

plavix

[/quote]

"I was born a poor..."

Scott_Mc

Quote from: h2olawyer on December 08, 2006, 05:41:47 PM
I'm somebody now!! :D

Good info Tiger, even if it is copied ;) :P  Thanks!
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

NewVisionGuy

It may be  copied,  but  most  of  it  was  written  by  forum  members so I think it's  okay ;)

Lucky

Quote from: kiawrench on December 08, 2006, 06:35:56 PM
     which brings me to ::       " man, am i lucky i had clean underwear on "

which oddly leads right into the 'monkey butt' post...
eewwww....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black