I've got an '83...PAINTED...Up-date

Started by Tiger, December 09, 2006, 02:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BREWSKI

RE: Wife reaction. What part of "JUST DO WHATEVER THE F#$@ YOU PLEASE" don,t you understand !
GEORGE BATES

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on March 28, 2007, 10:27:09 PM
:) Decided to spend an hour on the '83 to-night... ::) ....and it took most of that hour to get the front cylinder spark plug removed :o :o :o It was in there SOLID!!! .......

same thing on my brothers CherryBomb... scary moments for sure. we had the tank off already and then did the radiator... finally got it out and slathered the new one with anti-seize.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

67GTO

I was talking to my car mechanic friend about sparkplugs and he said that because you don't need to
replace plugs in cars for 100k they get very tight. He said the thing to do istake them out at about half
life (50k) and put anti-seize on them.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Tiger

8) I change the spark plugs, on the "V", at the start of every riding season...regardless of age/mile's, etc and always use  a wee bit of anti-seize on them.

8).......Tiger....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiger

:) Managed to get some more done to the old girl... ;) However, not without a wee set back ::)
I decided to re-install the front fork leg's into the newly installed triple tree lowers. Once in, I used a spare top triple tree to get everything lined up right, (original at the paint shop). Hmmmmm, won't line up for some reason, checked and double checked everything...wtf ??? Pulled it all down again, put the lower t.t. on the bench to check the steering stem shaft against a spare and found it was out of alignment by a few degree's :o When I think back, this came off of a "V" that had sustained front end damage :o Call me stupid, I guess ;D :D :D :D Anyhoooo, problem resolved, damaged unit gone for scrap & original, with new bearing's, installed.
8) - Stator to R/R and R/R to C.D.I. hard wired in.
8) - R/R mounted on nice new bracket, (thanks Kevin).
8) - Rad' re-installed, hose's connected and nice, brite hose springs installed.
8) - Coolant overflow bottle, which was completely cleaned inside and out, re-installed.
8) - Installed new rad to coolant bottle & overflow tubing.
8) - Re-installed battery box.

I picked up the part's that went out for bead/sand blasting. The full fairing main bracket has now been painted a deep gloss black. The two aluminum part's that hold the foot peg's/rear exhaust bracket's, etc have been painted satin black...looking really sharp. The upper T.T. and riser's are at the paint shop...
Looooong way to go, but we are getting there ;D ;D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

:) A wee bit more done... ;)

With the rad installed and all the hoses connected, I filled her up with fresh, long life coolant, not forgetting to top up the now ultra clean overflow bottle... ::)...No leak's anywhere ;)
Note: Once I have the carb's back and the girl up-and-running, I will "bleed" the system and check for leak's, once again.

Drained the oil from the motor...it was black.....and I mean BLACK!!!...removed the oil filter, which had seen better day's ::) and washed the housing and drain plug in my wee 5GL part's washer, (Christmas present from the wife 8) ) Re-installed the new filter, drain plug and filled her with fresh oil.
Note: This is, in effect, a temporary measure...Once she is up-and-running, I will drain the oil and change the filter, again.

I drained the rear drive oil, washed off the filler and drain plug's in the part's washer. Re-installed the drain plug and filled her up with synthetic...which runs way cooler.

During the strip down, I noticed that the black plastic guard, that goes from side-to-side and in front of the front carb, was missing. I had one in a box of part's I "won" on e-bay, a while ago...so that has now been installed.

The front foot peg's and side stand, which I had bead blasted on Friday, now have a coat of red oxide primer and will, eventually, get sprayed satin black... 8)

Once I get delivery of the new stainless steel braided brake line's, I will rip down the front brake system and overhaul that... ;)

:) "Little by little by little by little".......Who sang it and wots the song ??? ??? ???

8).......Tiger....... 8)

Night Vision

here's some progress pics of the Canadian
;D

Night Vision

;D

Night Vision

and for a little inspiration for Tiger, here's a picture of PoopDeck
;D

Tiger

:o I see yours comes with the optional front wheel N_V ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

:) Thanks again N_V...my official photo editor-in-chief ;D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER........ 8)

Brian Moffet

That picture from the front of the bike looks vaguely familiar.

Brian (unfortunately sick this weekend, so I can't do anything with the bike.)

Tiger

:) I received the new S.S. braided brake line's (Galfer), new front footrest rubber's and fork seals.
The side stand, front footpeg bracket's and triangular aluminum pieces, that the rear footpeg's mount onto, have been painted in a low black gloss finish and re-installed onto the "V" along with the new front footrest rubber's.
I removed the front brake's completely and have stripped the calipers down and overhauled them. They will be re-fitted once I have done the front fork seal's, along with the rest of the brake assembly.
I've made & installed a new starter solenoid to starter cable and a new battery to ground, (Motor), cable as well. Both are made out of 6ga wire...
I'll call into the painters to-morrow and see how far he has got with my part's... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8) 

Tiger

:) What with work, organizing the OnROV spring ride, etc and apart from stealing the stator and R/R... :o from her for "The Mistress", (waste of time as the stator was blown ::)), I haven't done anything worth while to up-date this thread... :-[

;D ...However, I went to the paint shop to-day to collect the gas tank, full fairing, body part's, etc, etc...

8)...Ooooooooh reeeeeeally pretty in her "New" (old) colour's... 8) Still in the red and white, but shines like a new pin..and the white has a small amount of "Pearl" in it to make the white sparkle but just a wee bit... ;) I was soooo pleased I called into CanadianLou's to give him a preview... ;D :D :D :D :D :D It will be a few week's before she will be ready for her "Photo Call" but you can be sure I will have my publisher, (N_V... ;)) add them to this thread once done... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

Saturday...
:) Painted the inside of the fairing upper & lowers, matt black...gets rid of all the overspray ;D :D :D. Re-installed to the lowers, after the paint dried, ...the reflector's, the repaired/painted vent unit's and the black edging. I also re-installed the edging to the upper fairing. Re-installed the rear tail light back into the newly painted, (red), tail piece. The "O" ring that seals the petcock at the tank was in two piece's and covered in some kind of sealing crud ::) Cleaned it all up, chucked the "O" ring into the recycling box ;) and installed a new one. Re-installed the petcock to the tank using soc' head, (Allen drive), cap screw's, washer's and lock washer's...(old phillips drive screw's had been butchered by a previous owner at some time ::))...Oh, time to tidy up, get showered and off to my brothers pig roast and a few wobbly pop's...Mmmmmmmmmmmm... 8) Tomorrow's another day ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiger on May 27, 2007, 08:04:27 AM
the repaired/painted vent units

What did you use to repair the vent units (I have to admit I didn't do that one. I wanted to be finished...)

Brian

Tiger

Quote from: Brian Moffet on May 28, 2007, 08:14:53 PM
Quote from: Tiger on May 27, 2007, 08:04:27 AM
the repaired/painted vent units

What did you use to repair the vent units (I have to admit I didn't do that one. I wanted to be finished...)

Brian

:) Real easy fix Brian...I had, in my garage, a few feet of 1" aluminum bar, (from another project), cut it to something like 3" long, (x the slot width), ...(poke the "Handle" end out to where you need it before drilling),     
drilled a hole at the other end and through the movable vent, put through a bolt, your new aluminum arm and a hex nut...just to a point before the nut touches the alum' arm add another hex nut, take it down to the first nut and tighten the two together....approx' an inch from the nut/arm/bolt...drill a hole in the alum' arm only and a hole into the flap, an inch or so north...which you will install a nut 'n bolt...attach a spring to the arm and the bolt to act as a return mechanism...Bobs yer uncle, a functional vent unit... 8)

Brian Moffet

Oh that fix.  I did that with brass bar (since I have the gold trim  ;D ).  I was thinking of the cracked plastic vents.

Brian

Tiger

:) Good news/bad news corner... ;)

;D The Good...I fitted the back light unit into the newly painted tail light housing, (red), and re-installed back onto the "V". I also fitted two new stop/tail light bulb's, (#1157), nicely smeared with dielectric grease. Re-installed the two newly painted, under the seat side plastic's, washed 'n polished grab bar's, "Yamaha" logo'd grab bar bolt cover, (that still has the gold leaf finish intact!!!), the seat, (which is like new), washed 'n polished "glove box" and the two rear turn signal's with the "shorty stalks" from Kevin, (thanks Kevin),  again with new bulb's, (#1156). The stator is now installed in the left side engine cover, ready for installation.

>:( The Bad...There was an oil leak, coming from the left side fork leg ::) not a problem, as I have a set of seal's but just hadn't got around to doing them, as yet. Pulled out the offending leg, drained the oil...eeeeww, ugly dirty stuff...stripped the leg down, washed all the part's down in the parts washer, dried and ready for the new seal...except the new seal(s) are the wrong size :o ::)...just waiting for the Yam' stealer to open his door's so I can order a new set... ::)...bend over and spread 'em, sir :o ;D :D :D ...;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

wrong size as in too thick? I bet I got some of the same kind from eBay. Were they from England? Are they like 11mm thick?

NAPA around here has seals for $9 each. I think OEM are $12.. I'll probably get the OEM ones again if I also received the wrong seals  >:(
;D

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on June 07, 2007, 09:00:44 AM
wrong size as in too thick? I bet I got some of the same kind from eBay. Were they from England? Are they like 11mm thick?

NAPA around here has seals for $9 each. I think OEM are $12.. I'll probably get the OEM ones again if I also received the wrong seals  >:(

::) Yep, off of eeee-bay but can't remember if they came out of Britain or the States... :-\

:( Totally wrong O/D and I/D... :o ::) Stealer has them in stock...$22.00 :o :o :o Rouges 'n thieves...but hey, they got 'em 'n I need 'em...What the hell... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)