News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

I've got an '83...PAINTED...Up-date

Started by Tiger, December 09, 2006, 02:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Got a pair of new fork seals from the Yam' dealer...rouges 'n thieves ::)...Striped down the other fork and like the first one, the fork oil was a s***y brown goop... ::) So with every-thing drained, striped and cleaned, I set about rebuilding the fork's. Re-filled with new fork oil, air cap's fitted hand tight and fork leg's re-installed, air cap's tightened, and legs re-aliened and torqued down. The two brake calipers, having been serviced a while back, where fitted and the bolt's torqued. Front wheel installed, as was the newly painted front fender, (pearl white), then came the fork brace. The handle bar risers, (painted pearl white), where then installed along with the handle bars. Ignition switch installed into the top triple tree and also the idiot light unit was clipped in and wired up. Next came the gauge unit, (speedo/tack/fuel, etc, all tightened up with new nut's 'n washer's. Speedo cable installed. Last, but not least, I got the main fairing bracket, which has been sand blasted and re-painted black, installed.

I say last because by that time my wife and daughter wanted to know when I was firing' up the Bar-B for supper...supper ???...what the hell happened to lunch ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Aparently the Vision is selfish & has no regard for it's human owners need to eat.. i've burned a few meals on the grill because i was working on the bike, & as we all know, so has Dave...   ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:D Tell me...LOL I even went back in after supper and plumed in the new S.S. Braided brake line's. I'll fill and bleed them off to-morrow...after breakfast... ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

:) Bled the system off in a little under half an hour...No speed bleeder either :o

Filled a syringe full of brake fluid and filled the two caliper's via the brake line coupling hole.
Filled the master cylinder and pumped brake fluid thru' the two brake lines.
Re-attached the brake line's.
Bled one side until the fluid ran clear of air bubbles and then the other side the same...Bobs yer uncle...Brake lever is rock solid and NO where near the throttle grip when you pull it in... 8) Another job done 'nd off the list...NEXT!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Little by little, she's coming together... ;)

As the left side cover was already off, I pulled the flywheel and did the starter clutch fix, as well as tighten the balancer/shaft nut's... ::)

Once that was all done I re-installed the left side cover, now with a new stator installed, (thanks N_V), wired it up to the R/R, etc and re-installed the shift lever.

Re-installed the battery box, battery and battery cover.

Fairing dash was drilled out with a hole saw to enable the installation of a volt meter. Dash installed onto the fairing frame and the volt meter was wired in.

Main upper fairing was lifted into place and the front indicators installed/wired up. Installed the windshield, which, like "The Mistress" windshield, has been painted, on the inside, low gloss black... 8) However, its got some deep "Battle scar's" and I'm on the look-out for a replacement...

I "loose fitted" the gas tank, installed the side plastic's and the fairing lowers...just to get a feel for the finished look (Need to install the carb's, once they are cleaned, before final installation)...

Maaaaaan, does she look sweeeeeeeeeeet in her new red 'n white paint....... 8)

I will have to send some picture's to my publishing agent...a.k.a...N_V... ;) and ask him to post them for me.......Suppose I should take some picture's first... ::) ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

yeah, take the pictures first!

sure must be nice to have a 46mm deep well socket for that crank nut  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on June 17, 2007, 10:00:37 PM
sure must be nice to have a 46mm deep well socket for that crank nut  ;)

:) Makes for an easier "fix".......thats for sure 8)

Tiger

:) The plastic on the original '83 mirror's is kinda scuzzy, so, I rubbed them down, primed them and finished off with a low gloss black. I also cleaned up some of the hardware...e.g. The hold down plate for the gas tank, etc, and shot them with low gloss black, (after applying primer!!!).

She is starting to come together and looking really nice... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8) 

Night Vision

I'm jealous... I was making progress with my painting, but tonight I wadded up the paint on my headlight trim ring...

apparently my brain just doesn't comprehend the words... "apply several thin coats" used in the same sentence with "let dry between coats"   >:(

Stupid Painter
;D

Tiger

;) Been there, done that...and with all probability, will do again... :o ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

h2olawyer

Quote from: Night Vision on June 18, 2007, 10:10:02 PM
I'm jealous... I was making progress with my painting, but tonight I wadded up the paint on my headlight trim ring...

apparently my brain just doesn't comprehend the words... "apply several thin coats" used in the same sentence with "let dry between coats"   >:(

Stupid Painter

I can definitely relate . . .  ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

awhile back, Lucky was asking how to paint chrome.....

this is what I did...

Muriatic Acid / Water bath overnight......then
Duplicolor self etching primer...

I must have let the primer dry good, because when I stripped the wadded final coat off the headlight ring in a gallon can of used carb cleaner... the primer stayed on :o
;D

Lucky

muriatic acid & water will remove chrome? what was the ratio?
also, if there was water in the mix..sounds like it should have flash rusted....??
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

the solution was 20 gal water to 2 gal acid (10:1)

it did not remove the chrome, but it dulled it... maybe just took the outside layer off?
;D

Tiger

8) SHE'S ALIVE, SHE'S ALIVE... 8) After more than ten year's I awoke her from her slumber's...... 8) 8) Thanks to CanadianLou for a great carb job. The Tim Parrot stator is charging and seems to be holding its own...considering the low price he sells for they are a good deal. Once the snow goes I'll take her out for a test ride...roll on spring!!! Phew...I gotta go shower... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Cdnlouie

Congratulations on another Vision restoration!  ;D  Great to have another one of these red & white 83's around.  Hopefully Kenny gets his new one rolling soon too.

Cheers  8)

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on February 03, 2008, 10:16:08 PM

8) SHE'S ALIVE, SHE'S ALIVE... 8) After more than ten year's I awoke her from her slumber's...... 8) 8)

congratulations! mine too! 'cept mine slept three years longer and woke up a day sooner. must be the extra sleep helped  ;)
;D

vadasz1

Hey there Tiger, with your luck in finding those beauties, could you find me an '83  with fairing? Colour doesn't matter as
I will most likely paint my ne (first) bike BINGO BLUE (a.k.a hammertone blue from Sherwin Williams).  I'm still thinking about the naked '82 if you still have it.

I might ask you to give me pop quiz or quick demo ride on the naked bike in end of April so I know what I'll be doing on my GEARING UP course.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

h2olawyer

Great job, Tiger!!

Wanna come to Colorado & help me get Tractor & Partsbike finished?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Bring em down here h2o we've got room :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////